Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead FORD water pump rebuild.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocketman1934, Jul 2, 2010.

1. rocketman1934

rocketman1934
    from utah

I have been researching the early flathead FORD pump rebuild threads and have not found anyone that has actually rebuilt the pumps themselves. Is there any info about actual seal replacement and bearing change over with new impeller shafts that has been covered here? I have seen that the truck pumps are factory bearing pumps but cant confirm that, and if so are they a different casting? I figured if there is a flathead pump expert on the WEB it would be on the HAMB.

2. check over at the ford barn?

3. barry wny

barry wny

No expert but I done a wad of them and can say if you look at a drawing it's easy. BUT the right drawing. I assumed I knew what I was doing and pressed one when it had a different snap ring I didn't see, broke something. The cast pulleys can be broke easily if not careful setting up the press. Doesn't take much of a press, I had to do one with a hammer punch, and wood blocks, can be done. One time I bought 4 kits from Mac's antique auto parts for $100, cheap crap from India and one kit was missing the seal, and I was told I'm SOL. Since then Dick Spadero has found a seal he can supply. I haven't seen a bad shaft/bearing assembly yet, just really need the seal but since a good quality kit won't cast you much more than a wide belt, and then there is your coolant. Here is a drawing from Van Pelt's, if you look at the other types there are different lock ring arrangements, that is the major thing to know. I imagine he has the parts also.
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/...cs/Flathead_Engine_waterpmps1948-51trucks.jpg

4. aldixie

aldixie

Ford barn has an excellent article on rebuilding them. Here is the link:-
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/Waterpump/pump.htm

I have one that I need to rebuild as the pulley was broken. The problem I have is my pump body never had the snap ring and does not have a place for it.

5. rocketman1934

rocketman1934
    from utah

Thanks for the articles and info. The issue I am having is the pumps I have are the early design pump with the double shiv pulley, and I need the outer grove for my belt. All of the pumps I have checked into do not have that dimension. My goal is to pressurize the system and anyone that has ever heard of a flathead know they come from the factory with a water pump leak.

6. alchemy

alchemy

I can't help you on the longer shafted kit for your double-pulley (I'm assuming that's the only difference from a regular car kit of that year), but I can say a standard rebuild of a pre '48 pump will handle a 7 pound radiator cap. At least mine does. I rebuilt them myself with the usual stock kit from Mac's or some place like that. Doesn't spray or weep.

7. rocketman1934

rocketman1934
    from utah

Thanks, I will give it a try.

8. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

I know it was quite awhile ago now but how did you get on with this. I have just pressed apart my double pulley water pumps and am assuming like you that these pumps are truck ones as they have the bearing rather than just the bush. I have been looking for the rebuild kits for these but am not sure what ones will actually fit. cheers Mike.