Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

The paint guys said; 'that it just made the car look longer' and just made the car easier to distinguish from a distance, when watching from the stands.
    Stripe

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The Ramchargers were looking for something to attract attention during the "Plain Jane" days of the factory paint jobs. One of the Groups secretarys (maybe Hovers, Maxwells, or Jim Thortons?) suggested the red stripes and the rest is history.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Last year some of us had a little gathering in the lobby at the York Reunion. It would be nice to do that again this year and, hopefully, there will be a bunch of Jr. Stock guys.

Last year Terry and I were outnumbered by the hot rodders and Top Fuel folks ( Bobby & Tyler Hilton, son-in-law and grandson of Jim & Allison Lee).

Who is planning on being there?

4. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I will be there Saturday. Im planning on going to Carlise on Friday and Beaver Springs on Sunday. Its great to be retired....lol. :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. VIC GUILMINO

VIC GUILMINO

terry
    look me up at beaver i will have the 70 mercury cyclone 429 scj

6. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

OK....will do.

7. biscaynes

biscaynes

had plans to come down but my co-pilot baled on me. :(

please, please get some OR1 pictures and post them. :eek:

8. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I'll be at York Thursday setting up the car and returning for Friday and Saturday. I had planned to race Sunday at Beaver Springs but I didn't get the new rear or driveshaft in. I really don't want to break anything. The "new" motor and trans. ARE in and the new clucth needs a little break-in time. See everybody next week---and have a safe and happy 4th. Until next time..... Dave. (Anderson Olds '69 W31 F/S)

9. Dave- looking forward to seeing the Anderson Olds! We're shooting for around noon Thursday to show up and set up the car. Would have been cool to bring the In-Bomber '57 to Beaver Springs Sunday but everything is way too fresh to run. I'll be double checking nuts and bolts as we roll it off the trailer for the show! Just put the transmission crossmember in since it showed up early, bolted the carbs all up, and installed one header.
    -Dean

10. And still do'n it.Nice go'n Ben.,,,,,,,I couldn't help quote this from three years back,

11. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"It was an exciting time to be drag racing in the stock classes as it was about meticulous preperation, attention to detail and sharp consistant driving not how big your wallet was that produced a winner."

Boy, do I ever agree with that. It was all about the above and not how much money you had. (Obviously, I didn't have enough!)

What burned me out was bracket racing. You could make more money with an unprepared street car than with a full out prepped car.

Skip Asay

PS - I'm planning on going to York again this year....if we hire someone so I can get the time off. Although I will admit that the size of the paychecks lately has been really nice.

12. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

We wil be at York and Beaver Springs, anxious to show off the new hand-lettered Juniorstocker with steel wheels. Hope to meet you and the other juniorstockers at York and Beaver Springs, please stop by, looking forward to talking to you. We will have the 57 at York and both cars (55 Gypsy Wagon) at BSD.

13. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

I think the 'Ramchargers' thought they owned the rights to striping.
    One of our northeast racer friends in 1967 had a 67' Barracuda, white with red-striping on the roof. Called the car 'It's Cudamatic'.
    Was told to change the paint scheme, or he would be sued.
    PC,,,No striping here

14. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

R/T,
    Check the oldride site. The 62' Corvette did not come with a 283.
    It was the first year for the 327 in the Vette.
    327/250HP was the standard.
    In 1966, that combo could run in E/Stock. The 327/300HP could run in C/Stock.
    Also, was available with 340HP and 360HP engines. It was the 61' Vette 283/270HP
    that ran in D/S in 1966.
    P

15. prostock

prostock

I found this web site and string less than a week ago and I have been enjoying it. I am up to page 125 but, today I skipped to here (last page) to post something. I wish that our group had been more into picture taking! We were always too busy thrashing on our cars between rounds. We ran at different tracks in Michigan and our home track was U.S. 131 Martin Dragway in Martin Michigan, N.H.R.A. Division 3.
    We raced under the Curtis Trailer sponsorship and my father owned that business. In the late 1960's we run a 1957, 210 Chevy wagon with the 245 horse dual quad combo and 4 speed called "The Deacon". We also had a rare but strong running 1960 Ford Starliner 352 Automatic. These cars were rarely beat in their class. Martin was a tough track and weekly we went up against the Wenzel Camaro and our friend Dave Boertman. My brother Wayne drove the Starliner and to this day he is close friends with Dave Boertman where he lives near Muskegon MI. Dave is in his 70's now and Wayne tells me that his is in good health. Dave builds high quality utility trailers and car haulers to make extra retirement money. Later we campaigned a 1964 Mercury (slanted-in[​IMG] rear window) 390 that was very strong. Some of the cars that I remember in Stock Eliminator was a red mopar wagon owned and driven by Tom Russell, a yellow 57 Sedan Delivery called "Hurst & Curtis," driven by Glen Hurst (one of the turbo hydro cars), also a yellow 57 Nomad wagon in M/S driven by Jerry Arnold. Our 57 wagon was first raced by Phil Smith from Grand Rapids called "Gold Fever." Also at the track we had a 67 427 Ford Fairlane in (I think B or C Stock) called "Wedge Shot" owned by Dave VanLuke. There were two Hemi B-Body mopars, one with a stick and one with an automatic, called the "General Tooler II" cars.
    Jerry Arnold is one of my good friends and he stuck with NHRA racing through thick and thin. Jerry went on to become National Champion in a Ford six cylinder dragster, and altered. He also won a national championship in a D/MP Corvette. He has held many national records and I think that he still holds some records with his 6 clyinder altered. All this began with Junior Stock at good old U.S. 131 Martin Dragway. Today Martin is one of the fastest tracks in the U.S.! I sure would love to see some photos from that track back in the day. That track was crawling with national record holders and champion cars!
    There were many non-Junior stock cars that were awesome! We had a group of guys from Chicago that raced a 57 Chevy called "Shake Rattle & Roll," that car was amazing! A 55 or 56 Chevy modified called "Whiskey-A Go-Go," an Altered 32 coupe called Ruff & Ready, An altered 59 English Ford called "The Home Wrecker," I live near where a awesome Modified Production big block 55 Chevy is still stored away it was super fast and a show winner! It is still an awesome car owned by Jim Roberts called the "Exterminator" ---- I could go on and on.
    This picture is from our High School newspaper in 1968 or 69. The guy behind the wheel is my good friend Dale Towne and he was the one with the wrench that kept everything fast and fresh. I am the one standing and I drove the car. One of my favorite memories was very early one morning, about 1:00 am, I was able to wade through the field into the final round of Stock Eliminator. The only car left to beat was the P/S Chevy of Dave Boertman. I had to wait for my tree as Dave steamed down the track! My greatest fear was a red light and I knew that I was racing the newly crowned National Champion! We could run on our record and Dave could run below his if he wasn't careful. Anyway, I missed 3rd gear! You could not make the slightest mistake against Dave! What a night!
    After the track switched to bracket racing we took several years off. Then the urge to race was too great. The Curtis Trailer Team went bracket racing and we managed to dominate once again until 1989 when we lost my father, my racing buddy ----- that is when I hung it up.
    Allan Holden[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  16. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Wow!!!! I just found 400 polaroids in a guys attic at a yard sale of race cars takin in 1966 and 1967 few 68's all in color...at New England Dragway... !!!! talking about walking back in time...

17. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Jimmy,
    You lucky guy.
    A mystery photo, would be of Joe Petrelle in an original 68' Hemi Dart SS/BA.
    Co-sponsored by 'Deb's Automotive'. Only ran in late 68'/69'. Not too many pictures of that one.

Bosco Jo,
    In the Vette, the 327/250HP was only available in 62'/63'/64'/65'. After that
    the 327/300HP was the standard engine.
    The only Vette's that fit into the (12.50-12.99 wt/hp bracket) was the 59' Vette and the 61' Vette, with the 283/230HP engine. That would be J/S in 68', K/S in 69' and
    L/S in 70'/71'.
    An interesting combo was the 61' Vette with the 283/245HP dual-quad. though it fit high in the (11.50-11.99 wt/hp bracket), it ran suprisingly well. H/S in 68', I/S in 69', J/S in 70'/71'.
    PC

18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I would've replied to whoever threatened me: "Show me the documentation where the red stripes on white roof are copyrighted and I'll remove 'em. Until then, "no dice."

What a jerk...

Pete

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Allan,

Hello! Welcome to H.A.M.B and to this great thread. Thanks for sharing the memories...yes indeed, it really was a one-of-a-kind era never to be repeated, sad to say.

"I wish that our group had been more into picture taking! We were always too busy thrashing on our cars between rounds."

Racers weren't the only ones 'guilty' of not taking pix or not enough of them, spectators too, like a longtime buddy of mine!

"We had a group of guys from Chicago that raced a 57 Chevy called "Shake Rattle & Roll"

Are you sure it wasn't this car, "Shake, Rattle & Run"?

[​IMG]

More here at these linx:

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/garage/0657chev/

http://gassermadness.com/allen/index.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243987

Best regards,

Pete

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

That's fantastic! I'm sure you will do the 'right' thing and scan the pix relevant to this thread and share them online with the rest of the gang. :)

All the best,

Pete

21. "Shake Rattle and Roll" was a '57 Chevy prepared by Nickey in Chicago I think. It was for sale a while back. Painted orange and running a dual quad, Paxton supercharged Pontiac mill.
    -Dean

22. prostock

prostock

Thanks Pete and Dean, I think you are right, that it is "Shake Rattle and Run" now-- that I see these pictures. I remember the car from the late 60's and early 70's then I didn't see it again until the late 80's. It has changed over and over again over the years. The last time I saw the car at Martin the crew of 4 or 5 guys were mostly black men. I also recalled that it looked and launched like a Pro Stock. On that day they got crossed up in the finish line light area and did some major damage to the body. I also recall it having tinted windows. So, not everything adds up for me --- but that is probably me! Some of the latest pictures, the black vinyl top and 7 second ets make me think it is the same car. Thanks for your help. I battled through some heavy cancer treatments and it has slowed my brain! The cancer is gone but I lost a lot in the fight. Al

23. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

24. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Hey Paul and Pete..

Yeah I'm gonna get a friend to do a scan of everything I have its gonna take some time tho.... Paul...if you didnt think I craped myself...there is a 66 GS and 2 67 GS 400 cars... two from Smyley Buick both 66 and 67 and a 67 from Lallas Buick in Lowel MA.. I about hit the ceiling when I saw them.... so many cool cars... and the guy who took these pics back in the day..took the time to center every pic like he was writing a book.. they are really really nice...I can't wait for you guys too see these babies!!!!!!!!

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, I bought the 57' Sedan Delivery that was posted earlier on this thread; the "Hustlin' Hoosier". Arrived last Wednesday. I've been mostly checking everything out on the car to figure out what I need to do to make it more streetable. The "science" that was used back then to make these things launch, and transfer weight to those 7" slicks, is interesting, to say the least. Front springs are intentionally mismatched, as are the rear springs, and I'll be replacing those. Even the single Sedan Delivery bucket seat has been slid back into the cargo floor with a notch cut out for the seat, in order to get more weight back that direction. The interior, with exception of the drivers door panel, is almost perfect. I'm guessing that NHRA allowed "superceded" parts, such as blocks and heads, because the 283 has side mount bosses and the heads are 57-59 according to the only site I could find (Mortec.Com is down for some reason (?)). The shifter is a J.C. Whitney item from way back, and although simple in design, it works very well. I'll be updating to an aluminum Glide for reliability, plus the parts availability. And I build Glides for the local bracket racers, so I already have one ready to go in the car. A Hydro also came with the car, but it's been promised to WagonKiller for the "Tokyo Rose" restoration. That trans has what looks to be a Drag-Fast shifter, and the aftermarket brackets to use stock trans mounts so as to not overstress the frame horns. I've seen the frame horns pulled from the frame when mounts were just redrilled, and "forced" to work. Front wheels are Fenton Gyros with Moroso tires that are shot. The rear wheels are stock steel with 9.00X15 Good Year Blue Streaks for Stock Class, and those tires are shot also. Lots of rubber left on them, but the sidewalls are delaminating. The fenderwell headers, genuine Stahl headers, will probably be replaced with under the frame headers, or rams horns, just so I can reinstall the heater and fresh air ducts. Fenderwell headers on 55-56 cars fit differently than on the 57's because of the 57's air ducts. Those on the car are beat in, and hacked up, for clearance. There's some typical 55-57 Chevrolet type rust on the drivers side floor board, but not too bad. Overall, the car is pretty much as I expected; it's a good car, and easily restorable. I have a friend that deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts, so I can get pretty much anything I need from him. One other thing, the car has an absolutely perfect, black , 63' Impala SS, steering wheel in it. Anyone have any questions or comments, fire away. Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. Butch- that's great you got the Hustlin Hoosier, looked like a really cool car. Love how untouched it is. Keep us posted please!

Here's some update pics of the In-Bomber. I've been working non stop since Monday getting ready for York. The engine is in and we're wiring it up, radiator, headers, clutch, 4spd, shifter, and we bribed the driveshaft place to fab up a racing driveshaft yesterday on the spot.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

27. bob shirley

bob shirley

beautiful job you are doing,very nice

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

"Untouched", is the real reason, I bought the car. The Stahl headers on the Un-Bomber, were installed by completely removing the fresh air ducts; I wish that had been done on this car. There are a NOS set of inner fenderwells, that also came with the car that I forgot to mention, as replacements. Most guys don't know this, but the Hydros used in the 55-57 Deliveries, were really the original reason for fenderwell headers on those cars. The starter motor on the Chevrolet Hydros are mounted "upside down", meaning the solenoid is on the bottom of the starter instead of the top, how we're used to seeing them. The solenoid got in the way of any/all chassis outlet headers, and the problem was solved with fenderwell headers. B & M made their bellhousing/adapters for the Chevrolet Hydros with a recess machined into them, and used a stock Powerglide/manual trans starter. Other racers followed suit, as they worked so well ( on the fenderwell headers). I also think most are'nt aware, that stockers were required to carry a minimum of a 16 pound exhaust system, after the headers/head pipes, but that they did not need to be functional. If you see any old, under chassis pics of stockers, they have mufflers/tail pipes for that reason. They're on my car also, just glass packs and short, straight, "tail pipes". For as long as I can remember, Junior Stock/Stock/Super Stock racing just "did it for me"; when the fuelers and funny cars were called to the lanes, I'd
    hit the pits to get a closer look at the door slammers. This car also has a pair of Corvette valve covers, that have'nt been modified with extra breathers; of course, they're staggered bolt covers. The intake manifold is also a newer version, as it has a boss for a generator/alternator adjustment bracket to bolt to. There does'nt seem to be any "tech paint" on the engine; the tech folks would spray paint lines across the intake/heads/oil pan/timing cover, so they'd know if you tampered with the engine after going through tech. There were around 200 run slips in the glove box; mostly from Indianapolis Raceway, but others include Phenix City, Muncie, Kettersville and Van Wert, National Trail, Ohio Valley, Coles County, Mid-America, Edgewater, and some from places that names were'nt even printed on. I have a sales slip where the prior owner bought a pair of Firestone Drag 500 7.00/29.5/X15 slicks for $96.97, including tax! Then there's the Chevrolet Dealer work order, where they replaced an ignition switch, tracked down an electrical problem, and repaired a gas tank leak, all for $39.98, parts, labor, and tax! Boy have things changed!!!!! The only money I've found has been a 1959 penny. The under carriage is really clean, and most of it was painted blue at one time. There are signs that some type of traction-aider were welded to the differential housing, and later removed with a cutting torch; there are also two metal 6 X 8 inch 1/4 inch thick steel plates bolted to the underbody, directly in front of the aforementioned torched off brackets on the rear end. These plates have a section of boxed tubing welded to them that "something" obviously slipped into (?). Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

When you say standard 383 manifolds are you refering to the log type that came on 2 barrel engines? I know of an original 68 Sport Satellite with the H code 383 and it too has the 440 manifolds. My Coronet 500 definately had the 440 manifolds and when I pulled the cam at 64,000 miles it measured out as a 440 Magnum cam. The reason I question this is from what i've seen and it seams that a smaller cam and and those choker log manifolds would drop the horsepower alot more than 5 HP