Register now to get rid of these ads!

A true treasure found in the glove box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JalopyJenny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JalopyJenny

JalopyJenny
    from Seattle

Now that the 49 Chrysler is finally home and delivered, i was going through it a tad last night and found the original tail light lenses in the glove box! Glass, not plastic! This car is mostly complete, straight, rust free, and beautiful. The only thing missing is the tail light spears. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find them for a 49 Windsor, or what others may match up? I am having a heck of a time finding any!

The vision for this beauty is a suede blood red and bamboo interior. It has a rolled bolster on the dash that I am going to replace with bamboo along with door panels and headliner.

Attached Files:

2. yblock292

yblock292

When i bought my 40 ford coupe, found the original owners manual in the glove box, thought that was kool.

3. JalopyJenny

JalopyJenny
    from Seattle

Looking around it seems like I just found $400 in the glove box! I found a set on ebay with the brake lenses, no bezels for $888. I just need the bezels for them now!

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

haha! $888.00 for tail light lenses. that seller is on crack.

5. big creep

big creep

money!!!!! ok it was just a buck, but its still money!

6. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

7. JalopyJenny

JalopyJenny
    from Seattle

As far as the ebay price, I laughed my ass off. Ive been driving old classic Chryslers forever. My husband builds beautiful cars, and I wouldn't exactly call it a hut on a barge. I think there is a difference between classy bamboo and a rolling tiki bar! Im no idiot.

As for the lenses the closest i have found is $180 a piece from a private buyer on the imperial site. The bezels are another story. I found one set on ebay but the guy is sketchy and from talking to him, im not sure they are the ones in the photos.

I am interested in the desoto bezels. They just may fit if they are 48-50.

8. Hey Fred and Jen ! good luck with the Mopar !

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

go get some of those Gene Winfield Bubble lenses that look like they would fit the fender. then mould them in. shave the trunk while your at it. we're not restorers here.:D

10. put a wanted add up here and on craigslist, it's free!:D

11. James427

James427
    BANNED

Several 50's cars had bamboo interior surfaces. Kaiser comes to mind.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Try George Taylor in PAsadena TX.

13. Try Bridley's Auto Salvage in Glenville Minnesota. Last time I was up there he had a lot of old Mopar stuff. (507) 448-2905.

14. 5window

5window

15. MagicMarco

MagicMarco

When I bought my '40 Chevy, not only did I find a spare pair of tail light lenses in their original box, but a pair of of the old glass lenses with the blue "jewel" in the center (which I immediately installed)!

16. sololobo

sololobo

Cool ride, good luck with your parts search. Good karma seems to be on your side. I love this car, my dad had a 50 when I was a kid, it had a red plaid wool interior and the dash chrome etc. was awesome. MoPars rock! ~Sololobo~

17. historynw

historynw

18. Squablow

Squablow

I might be able to score a pair of those tail light bezel/fins things. I'll let you know if I can come up with some, shoot me a PM if you're interested.

19. did you have a lense or bezel you can post...not sure what I have in my unidentified Mopar stuff....

20. If the seller gets their job done. It is the buyer that then has the substance abuse problem! :D

21. You guys are Mopar "in the know" folks
    Any idea what year these lights are ?
    One is pitted real bad ....If I know year maybe find a good one
    Thanks

Attached Files: