Register now to get rid of these ads!

how nice is to nice to hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 10secondA, Jun 30, 2010.

1. You could always rod it with the intention of leaving as much of its finer points as original as possible, and then just see how things take shape along the way. Sometimes a car will almost dictate the way it turns out itself. I love the ones that look original and then you find out its pretty wild under the hood and suspension wise.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

It aint that nice Id rod it ,I do mean that in a good way ,

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

If done properly nothing is sacred. That car would make a sweet hot rod, and it deserves it's chance.

4. olpaul

olpaul

I say buy a body from Brookville and go hot rod that.

5. Mister Nasty

Mister Nasty

I feel your pain...I just picked up a 31 tudor same condition.. been looking at the banger thread trying to figure if I can make the original motor fast enough to blow by parades..A traditional rod !!! something I can really drive

6. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

rod it, man! it's not that nice

7. 10secondA

10secondA

"buy from brookville" huh, we should all be so lucky to afford to do that, i guarantee he paid way less than any brookville car costs!

8. ScottV

ScottV

Too nice to hotrod ???? That is like the song that talks about having too much fun !!! There is no such thing !!! :p

9. My thoughts exactly tho I wouldn't be afraid to cut it up a little either.
    It would cost just as much to restore it as it will to rod it and won't be near
    as much fun when it's done.

10. erlomd

erlomd

without a doubt...hot rod it out! but since its got all original parts...(assuming)
    do it like they did it back then, and stray away from any aftermarket parts or custom parts....if its to high...heat it and drop it, cut it, bend it, port it, channel it....but for Gods sake dont speedway it....(unle$$....)

11. ScottV

ScottV

... and don't "rat rod" it, doesn't make much sense to me to make something crappy on purpose :confused:

12. sololobo

sololobo

Evel, gave the example I like. Still a cool survivor, but not just another parade model A, but a cool hot rod. Sounds like a nice one, they are never to perfect to cut up or modernize I.M.O. Good Luck ~Sololobo~

13. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

have fun with it..........

14. papajohn

papajohn

If you enjoy driving a tractor, leave it as is and drive it. Mechanical brakes, underpowered 4 banger........

Otherwise, make a nice rod out of it. A nicely rodded Model A is worth more than a stocker anyways.

15. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Rod it out, don't "r--" rod it, don't "street" rod it - some paint, up grade the engine, '40 brakes, add shocks, F1 steering box, add OD - drive the hell out of it!!

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Actually the nicer it is, the better it is to hot rod.

17. Leave it as is would be my decision, but I don't own it, or have one penny invested..............just don't be brutal !

firstnomad

18. erlomd

erlomd

Amen to that!

19. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I would violate that car so fast the Model A club farts would all have heart attacks! The cleaner it is, the easier it is to hot rod. You could keep the four banger if you can find the speed parts for it, but it would prolly cost more than changing to V8.

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

still common?

Maybe in your area buy they're dried up where i live

21. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I live in Mt Shasta, only 75 miles south of you.I say leave it stock and drive it for fun until the fun wears off. In the mean time you (or he) can decide which route to go hotrod wise. I agree with Straight 8, they are only original once

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just bought another tudor 31. It is a stocker. Same condition as yours minus the aftermarket seats. I also have another complete chassis and wheels etc, everything but the body. I really want a coupe though. What I am going to do is take the chassis I have and add the forty brakes, on front and rear, get a drop axle or stretch the one that is on there. All the while drive the stocker until I can either trade it for a coupe and then cut the coupe and put it on my hot rod frame, or trade the tudor for just a coupe body if it is real cherry. If anyone is going to ask why not rod the tudor just look at my avatar:D

23. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Make it safe to drive, just don't take the torch to it........

24. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Any one can restore an old car, it takes a man to cut one up. I hor rodded a car there is only 8 left in the world. Now there are seven stockers and one hot rod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can't go wrong building something like this IMO. [​IMG]

26. S1B

S1B

Chris's. Car is a great example.
    If it were mine. I would, reverse the eyes on the springs, 16-17" wire wheels,black wall tires, hop up the banger. juice brakes. 1980s F150 5spd trans(keeps the shifter position close to stock with use of a AA bellhousing)
    Just my thoughts.

27. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Enjoy it. Drive it shes a queen. Its allmost done.

28. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

You need to borrow my sawzall ? Get after it. That thing is prime hot rod material.

29. studebaker46

studebaker46

henry kept one of everything in a museam for posterity. i have never understood that mentality its too nice to hotrod. 45 m.p.h. and mech were not alot of fun tom

30. drop the suspension, pull the fenders, hop up the banger.....job done for now... build a new frame with all the goodies you want while having a bit of fun driving it..when it's done and your fed up with rod brakes just swap the body over...best of both worlds !!!!