Register now to get rid of these ads!

how nice is to nice to hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 10secondA, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Tough call, like someone said they are only original once....

If it were me, I'd build a nice banger motor for it though.

2. Well, it'll be worth more and easier to sell as a hot rod. If you feel that way about it, build it so it can be put back if you want. Shouldn't be too hard to do, just don't chop it.

3. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Here's what you do... take that little piece of you that's not sure out back, beat the living shit out of it and get to roddin that bitch! LOL, just my 2 cents!

4. 31fordV860

31fordV860

My thoughts exactly, but speed out the 4 banger......

QUOTE=zombiesnyc;5386893]Rod it. Keep the fenders and hood on. Lower it. Steel wheels with caps. 8 cylinder flatty. Do not repaint it. Now get to it and take a lot of pictures.[/QUOTE]

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anyone that has been around hot rodding for any length of time will tell you "find the best example that you can afford to build a hot rod". It will save you untold time and money in the long run. The one you posted seems like a very nice example and the cost to fully restore would be about the same as doing a traditional hot rod.
    Get Vern Tardel and Mike Bishop's book "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" and get to work. You'll end up with a car that is more fun than should be allowed by law.

Frank

6. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Your buddy should do what he likes with the car,weather it's to hotrod it or keep it stock.Why own it if you can't enjoy it?
    If he wants a hotrod,just do it,I sure would.
    Looks like an awful nice starting point.

7. wallygator

wallygator

If its not good original paint, its hot rod material in my book.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This the Hamb!...make a Hot Rod!
    Ford Barn is that-a-way!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    :)

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Just don't fuck it up and you can do it either way, or anywhere in between.

10. 54stove

54stove

Keep the patina and rod it...If the paint and interior was in a little bit better condition I would say keep it stock....just my 2 cents

11. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

The only one I've seen Rodded that shouldn't have been rodded was the Tudor cut up on Monster garage. What a waste. Done just to get a reaction. Floyd Cotterpin was also good for doing that. Oh well, thats what keeps the ratings up.

12. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

His might be lame but it's better then yours.

13. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Some said there are oodles of restored A coupes. Some said there are oodles of A coupes turned into rods. So there's only one thing to do... take it to the crusher. :eek:

14. bluestang67

bluestang67

I passed on a original almost restored 31 Deluxe Coupe for that same thought . I will never do that again Rod It not safe as Henry built it almost 80 years ago . His technology is way out dated now .

15. H3O

H3O

I'd chop it and take the fenders off and hop up that four banger. make it into an early hot rod.

16. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Tough call with 55,000 on the clock. Does the block number match the title/frame number? If it does then it gets tougher. With the low miles I am sure a restorer could do some good with that car. But in any case I would not do anything that can not be reversed. I know that we all (and I include myself) take A Bones for granted. Not that I don't appreciate a hammered, channeled, powered by (put your favorite engine here) but I think this is not the one.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A. Build separate hotrod chassis while driving car as is.
    B. When finished building hot rod chassis, begin body work on car while driving car.
    C. Remove fenders, aprons and bumpers, body work and prepare for new chassis while driving car as is.
    D. Find another body for hotrod chassis because you like driving it so much as is.
    OR finish the body work and don't drive anything until the new hotrod is together.
    OR swap the body off, using another cowl to make the original chassis a speedster and drive as is until hotrod is finished.
    E. Realize the original chassis and paperwork/title go together and proceed with builder's title on new hotrod with old body.

18. To nice to rod hmmmm. Yeah, do whatever you want is the way I have always been and really its all about what you are happy driving. Heres what I began with [​IMG]

And heres a few recent pics of where I am at with my progression. It'll never be done................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am kicking around the idea of restoring another chassis and placing this body and some of the parts missing from it together and restoring everything to stock. This is not my only model A and the other one is too much of a hot rod to restore.-Weeks

19. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

20. Definatly not too nice to rod, HRP

21. gsport

gsport

rod it.... make it a nice cruiser with a little oooph

22. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I ment by that is that it has a Survivor "Look"

23. Gotzy

Gotzy

Ditto

24. drive for a season and when the "winter boredom" kicks in cut that muther and drive it!

25. I'd give it the "Swenson" treatment, dropped front axle, T rear spring, and big's and lil's. Here's photo's of H.A.M.B.er Chris' Bitchin' Model A Coupe

Attached Files:

26. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Looks good! That's what I would do if the A was mine. Leave the body near stock (no chop), full fenders and make it into a late 50's-early 60's style hot rod.

27. Cymro

Cymro

This seriously deserves a "back in the day" hot rod treatment period bolt on bits only, keep the banger.
    This thing's cooler than a polar bear's dangly bits!

28. Cymro

Cymro

29. Agreed....
    It seems like a lot here lately, I have had to scroll back up to the top of the page to make sure I'm still on the HAMB....Original stuff is for bowtie and derby wearing dudes.

30. 10secondA

10secondA

wow tons of input here, i agree i dont know what the hell i was thinking were definetley gonna rod it, i really like the "swenson" look thats what i would do if it were mine but im not sure what his plans are exactly, it will not be a billet laden p.o.s that i do know and it wont be a rodent, im gonna give him my input to build it traditional, but its his money so not sure which way hes gonna go