Register now to get rid of these ads!

IPOD hook for NEW IPOD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daveyboy56, Jul 1, 2010.

1. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Ok i have had a IPOD in my coupe for 2 years now. It died. I got a new one and no sound at all. Does anyone know if they changed the pins in the plug or something? I did try to chager my old IOPD ON new Car charger and it think it cooked it. But that was in my Chry 300 not the coupe :confused:

2. Onelow34

Onelow34

do you have a am/fm transmitter/charger?

3. synthsis

synthsis

Ipods used the same charer for years, up until the Ipod touch, which has a different connection than the previous generations. However the headphone jack is still the same, so if you are using an FM transmitter as Onelow34 suggested, everything is the same.

4. nwaringa

nwaringa

Holy crap... is this really a topic on the HAMB.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, some of us and especially our wives and girlfriends actually like to listen to something beside obnoxious open headers when cruising or making miles on the highways. And the Ipod is easy to hide and not have a modern head uinit stuck in the middle of a vintage dash.

It looks like a trip to your favorite autosound store is in order Davy.

6. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I've been reading the hamb for a long time. Maybe too long. I've been using computers to search for answers to my questions even longer. A google search would probably be a more appropriate place to figure out the differences between ipod generations. Just sayin.

7. Actually almost anything goes these days. I'm not "down" with some of the stuff but it still a forum and trading information plays a big part in the whole forum concept.

I do suppose that there are a lot of fellas in the same boat when it comes to hot rods. The women are not as deeply into the whole James dean aspect of the culture. Not a problem that I am privey to but it is pretty common.

I don't know the answer to the original question, but really its an IPOD. Just hang the bids in your ears and fly is the simplest soultion.

Mr. 48 is probably right you may need to upgrade what you already have in place. That's the world of electronics, they make the older stuff become obsolsete so that you will required to by the new stuff.

8. nwaringa

nwaringa

Not for nothing but I am sure there are a thousand electronic forums out there and Google as mentioned is a good place for information. My comment is more about it being asked in a forum of relative non-experts on the topic. Seems misplaced.

9. Actualy the IPOD thing has come up before and it really surprised me how many electronic gurus there are on this board. I think it is mostly the fellas from my generation that are not up on it.

I still think a phone is for talking to someone. Guess that makes me old as dirt.

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

I have noticed that a couple off-brands do not have sound. I went to the Apple store and their cables worked. Had to spend the $, sucks. I think it was almost 70 bucks for the bottom plug in on the ipod with the rca's on the end to plug into a amp.

11. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

If you look up ipod set up here on the hamb you will see the flat plug used to charge and send iopd info (sound) to your amp. that is what i wanted to know.
    And for all you guys that dont want a iopd in your car dont put one!!
    But dont give me shit for having one. I love how many have air bags and no one cry that its not hamb app.
    So if you have no inf. Dont post how smiple? WOW

12. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Ok,

Ipod (Apple) wires there headphone jack different than others, thats why there cables work where others won't. If you use a RWY (three leads) the yellow is a sound and either the red or white is the video.

After a few cables I found this out, Apple changed to this after the first gen Ipods.

Or if your using the flat cable out of the bottom try the yellow video cable in the sound imput of your radio/cd player.

Hope this helps.

13. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

What i have is a Nano the one that works is about 2 yrs old. But the NEW Nano does not send any sound info to my amp. A friend tryed his new Iphone and nothing. So i think something changed.

14. nwaringa

nwaringa

I think you miss the point. The point is why ask an electronics question on a board full of gear heads. Whether you run an Ipod or not is of no consequence to me.

If you want a meaningful answer, ask it here: http://forums.macnn.com/ipod-iphone-and-ipad/

15. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Thats because they moved the colors around again, pretty simple. Red does not connect to red anymore, white won't go to white and yellow won't go to yellow. Turn on the iPod, then one at a time plug in the wires to the amp to see which one is ths sound, pretty simple.

16. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I dont think you get IT!
    Its about cars and all that gos in to that. So no STFU and go try to build a car. Not just post shit

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Actually one of the designers of the iPod is on here... so :p

18. nwaringa

nwaringa

Thanks I will... good luck with your Ipod connection problem braniac.

I tried....

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hmmm.. then why do my regular headphones work fine? :confused:

if you use the correct cable for the version iPod they are correct, the pin out may have changed which is why some cables may be different. Mine all work correctly.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

20. Looks like someone needs a hug.

I still think my solution is the most smiple (sic) but I did point out to you that Mr48 probably had the solution that you are looking for.

And just for clarification of you do a search you'll find that I have suggested on more than on occasion that bags are for groceries, or not trad or words of similar effect.

Oh you weren't talking about me were you. :D

So it looks like you got it worked out, well that's a good thing.

21. H3O

H3O

daveyboy56, as far as i know everything should be the same as far as plug ins on the ipods except for the tiny shuffles, they are different. my iTouch and my buddies nano worked the same on headunit in the falcon and his o/t s10.

no idea what the problem is. hopefully your connection in your car is bad.

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have noticed that different gens of my apple stuff do in fact work/charge differently on various docks/cords. I use the 8th inch since it seems to be unchanged, but my new iphone for example won't charge or play through my bose dock, but a friends first gen phone does. Wierd.

23. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Why? Its because we are all friends here.

If you needed directions, who would you feel more comfortable asking... your friends or complete strangers?

Like zman said... one of the designers is on here. I know quite a few guys who have iPod setups in their traditionally styled cars. I even think Ryan has one...

The point is that this board is friggin huge. We have rocket scientists, writers, musicians, doctors, lawyers and many many unemployed hoodlums.

The HAMB is full of people from every walk of life with answers for every question.

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Amen

25. nwaringa

nwaringa

I'll remember that the next time I want a second opinion on colonoscopy. It's not like I didn't help the guy... I gave him a link to a site he could get the answer he's looking for in 10 minutes instead of 10 days.

It's pretty funny that new guys come on here and get flamed for asking the most basic of engineering or mechanical questions.... but a guy with an Ipod question is someone to get behind.

26. And I proved on a thread awhile back that not only do they have an answer for every question but they also have a question for every answer.

Let me give you an example:

What does the HAMB have?

See there just like that shizaaaam.

27. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Here check this out,

http://oreilly.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/18/video-ipod.html

stands to reason if the video comes out of a different color than the standard Yellow cable sound has to come out of different color (YELLOW)

Head Phones wether Ipod or aftermarket hit the correct spots, but a RCA cable to headphone jack doesn't (which is what I assumed he was using). I don't know why, I just know it works differently and I had to change the rca cables going into my head unit for sound to work, just trying to help a guy out. He said his old one worked and the new one didn't which usually indiacates apple changed the output spots once again forceing the unknowing into buying another high dollar cable, when all they have to do is swap RCA outputs.

28. Weasel

Weasel

I'm hoping it's a traditional iPod - you know, the kind with stick on flames, air bags, red wheels and flat black case....:rolleyes:

29. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Have my battery powered
    Altec lansing iPod player on the shelf behind my bench seat in my A
    Its sits Inside an old gutted out motorola 50's radio......look ma no wires...

Makes listening to little Walter, T Bone Walker and Bill Haley etc... More enjoyable

30. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I do know ipod changed the plug in on the newest version of ipod.They sell an adapter that connects the newest ipod to the older ipod connector.I work at a Subaru dealer and we have sold a couple of the adapters.That might be your problem.