Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb for 265 PowerPak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CLSSY56, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

What carb should I use? What CFM? Is my 500 CFM Eddie too much or just the wrong carb?

My problem:
    I've got a 265 powerpak with 305 heads and a Edelbrock 500cfm carb sitting on an Offy 360º intake. Also, the heater is stuck open.

I've tuned it with a vac gauge to the best it can be, but my timing marks are way off (no clue).

Cold:
    If it sits for a while it seems like the fuel drains back to the tank and take a while to pump it back. When it does start to hit, it won't always start, but will kick just enough for the starter to free spin. I can't use the choke most times, just have to pump the peddle twice and bump the starter till it free spins.

Hot:
    It really doesn't want to start. Choke, no choke, pumping the peddle. I seem just to get lucky in getting it started.

Running:
    Runs great

Running after a Hot Start:
    sluggish.

Any thoughts? Could that heater be causing issues and not letting the water flow correctly?

The best way I have found to start it is:
    • pump it and bump it
    • WOT

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Carter WCFB would have been the choice carb for a 265. I'm going to be running 4 94's on top of a Weiand intake but not until I have it completely tuned with the 4bbl Corvette intake with a WCFB carb on top. Don't want to risk damaging the 097 cam.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the responses.

3. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

On my 56 2 door hard top with power pack. I like the original rochester carb that came on the car. It runs good starts good and gets 20 miles per gal of gas.
    The starting problem sounds like a bad bendix. They would kick out. the ratchet gets bad inside the bendix.

4. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

20mpg would be nice, last I checked I got 13mpg.

5. Heo

Heo

First the myth of fuel draining back to the tank
    from the carb...impossible impossible impossible
    but people belive it anyway
    If the carb is empty the fuel is evaporated from heat
    same with the slugish runing when hot started
    use a phenolic spacer betwen the carb and intake
    and sounds like a bad bendix to

6. 1931av8

1931av8

WCFB is heated at the base through manifold heat risers in the stock configuration. With today's fuel volitility, you may have some problems with a hot start if the engine has been heated up. I have had a lot of difficulty with the one on my '62 Corvette. Tried blocking all the heat risers, to no avail. If you have room for a spacer and a heat riser, you may not have an issue. No space under that Corvette hood so went to an AFB with a lot better success. It came in 1962 for the 300hp 327, I believe. Basically the same design as the Edelbrock you mention. However, that shiny Edelbrock will never look right if you are trying to look traditional. Get an old AFB. The 3721s series looks right and are common and not too expensive. Rebuild kits are readily available and the work is not too complicated.

Multi-carbs are the way to go for looks! No substitute for multiples...other than maybe a vintage Rochester fuel injection unit. :D

7. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Sounds like an easy fix. Would I be better off with a different intake? The 360º is a single plane... kind of...

The starter only kicks out if I'm not WOT, it kicks out as soon as the SBC fires on "A" cylinder.

8. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

the 500 could be feasable but look into the flow of your heads and the cam.

9. carbking

carbking

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've run several early small blocks with the stock Rochester 4GC, and never had any problems with any of them. Good carb for a small cube V8.

11. pdq67

pdq67

I've driven a stock WCFB on a 283 way back then so know a bit about this.

As for your 360 Offy intake, I bet that if you look way down inside it, it has LONG divided runners way up into the plenum much like a dual plane for max torque production out of their version of a what today I call a "street" torquer single plane.

Now back to a carb., I would hunt up a Q-Jet off a 305 and tune it for your 265! Best of both worlds b/c of the little-bitty front holes and the great big back holes for when the pedal is to the metal.

Just take some time to tune the top rear butterfly's so that they tip in where you want them AND it will take a short Sat. afternoon to do this T&T.. Been there, done it! And it will sound like a "bull in heat" kicking in the back barrels at road speed!!!!!!!

Oh, and btw, that little -097 is a DANDY in your little engine and way back then I took on -097 and 30-30 cammed 4.11 geared '56 265 car's with my stock '57 2-barrel 3-speed 283!!

And later, like '65 or so, dam near got my keaster kicked for running ALL over a hopped up '57 283 4-speed 2-dr post with my Mom's new '65 195hp/283, 3-speed three-on-the-tree el-cheapo Custom 300 no NOTHING Chevelle 4-dr. car with no more than my 8-00/14 rear recapped slicks on it!

We were over at South Gifford, MO at the Sat. night dance on the Charitan(Sp?) River bridge, the only 100+ foot a concrete around for 15 miles in all directions to start off on.

He, He, I put my slicks on and when the flagger dropped his arms, I spun three feet and jumped like a frog and just shut down after an 1/8th and boy was he mad!!!! He sat there spinning!!

Things cooled down and onna the guy's told him that I must be the one that Bobby was having such a hard time out running in his '56 "so-called 30-30 cammed 265" 2-dr post because he couldn't out run me after he beat me out of the hole because of his 4.11 gears. Bobby said somebody with his Mom's '65 Chevelle was hard to handle and it was ME!!

That and the fact I took Bobby's little Sis. out on a date or too way back then..... Bobby and I were tight back then......

Talk about a hoot we had back then.......................

pdq67