Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Mercury Medalist Transmission. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rattrod805, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rattrod805

rattrod805
    from Ventura

So i pretty much feel like an idiot asking this but ive been trying to figure it out for a while, so ill put my pride aside. What tranny comes stock in a 1958 Mercury Medalist with a 312 y-block V8. The easy thing to do would be to look at the manual, but i dont have it. I looked online and it says its the Merc-o-Matic. The thing about that is that its not an automatic. Its a three speed column shift. Just bought the car and am still trying to figure it out so please, bear with me.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There's a very good chance it is a Warner T-85. Look at the side cover, where the shift arms are on the transmission. If the lower edge of the side cover is curved downward, it is a T-85. If the lower edge of the cover is straight it is a lighter duty FoMoCo gearbox.

The T-85 is a very strong box for the day, was used by Ford and Pontiac until they designed even beefier units. It also served as the basis for the Warner T-10 and Super T-10 4 speed transmissions.

Ray

3. Whatever you do, please keep it a stick. Very rare and extremely cool.

4. rattrod805

rattrod805
    from Ventura

Looks like it is the Warner. thanks for the tip. Definitely keepin it all original i love the three on the tree