Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rant About the Local NAPA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SAFU, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Called the NAPA customer service line several times today during their normal business hours. Guess what?
    <O:p</O:p
    I get a recorded message which gives their normal business hours……….
    Then the message says if you’ve gotten this message during normal business hours leave a message or send them an email.
    I sent them an email last week, and they never bothered to answer it. So I doubt if they will reply to a message on an answering machine.
    Yes Sir, that’s the way to handle customer complaints – if you want to lose customers, that is.
    Clearly, NAPA has about the same level of commitment to customer service that BP has to taking care of the environment and the people whose lives they’ve destroyed in the Gulf.
    <O:p
    Well that’s it….. I’m done with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = " border=" /><st1:City>NAPA</st1:City> --- FOREVER ! :mad:
    SAFU

2. And since both you and the NAPA guy are what in your 70's, that would be fun to watch. :D

3. Brewton

Brewton

I'm pretty sure NAPA stores are franchised. So... even though corporate NAPA mandates some standards, you still are going to have stores that are run shitty! I know my local NAPA is great! Great owners and great parts guys. It sucks that this asshole ruined your relationship with NAPA.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I guess we are luckey around here we have a real good NAPA store in Myerstown, PA.

5. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I have a NAPA very close to me. I went to them instead of Autozone for a rear main seal for my race car engine. I was told it'll be here tomorrow & it is $9.99 plus tax. Came in the next day & they said $44.95! I asked why since it was $9.99 the day before & was told we had to get a different brand. I told him no thanks & he not so politely told me I was no longer welcome at the NAPA. I did business there for 10 years... no more. I shop online for the cheapest parts & drive to the place & buy them. It's nice having a 'Zone, Advance, & an O'Reilly's within walking distance

6. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Have had some good luck with NAPA. But then again its all about who is on the other side of the counter.

7. uglydog56

uglydog56

When I'm in my hometown in Nebraska, I always go to NAPA, they have everything and they're awesome. Here in Washington, I avoid them like the plague. They never have your parts and don't know how to look them up. Believe it or not I've been going to the Schuck's here more and more. They have a suprising amount of stuff in stock for my old 6 cyl.

8. i had a similar situation, not at NAPA, but at the dealer.
    i had two identical cars come in a couple of weeks apart for the exact same problem. i called the dealership to order parts for the first which took about a week, then had problems scheduling the customer which turned into the customer disappearing. in the mean time we had ordered and installed the parts on the second.

so i go to return the part from the first order and was greeted with a 20% restocking fee. for what? apparently it was a special order part, but i was not informed as such. i was just told that it would have to be ordered (pretty common practice for out of stock or low volume inventory items). however the second part that i ordered was NOT a special order part. why? if they hit so many orders in a certain time frame, it becomes a stocking item with an inventory par. so my first order made the quota for their threshold.

so let me get this straight... a part which is NOW a stocking item is subject to a restocking fee? had i brought the part in on the second invoice, it would NOT be subject to the fee? do you not see the ridiculous in all this?

so i let the counter guy know just how i felt about the state of affairs and asked him if my account was worth the restocking fee. he kept informing me about policy this and that, and i kept informing him that there was another dealer right down the street who would just LOVE to have my business. he offered to split the fee with me, and i counter offered with a that's not good enough.

needless to say, i got my full refund.

be nice, but be persistent.

9. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

My Napa has to favorite saying's, "Never heard of it" and "No". I go see Dmarv at Carquest now, he appreciates having customers.

10. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Yeah Yeah.....

But remember I had a business account with this same NAPA store in Tempe, AZ for over 12 years. Never had a problem.... loved going in there..... until this fiasco happened. My point is this,....

If you have a problem with NAPA, there is no one at Corporate willing to listen to you, much less help you out.

For the record, the NAPA in Tempe AZ that I am talking about is Corporate Owned.

SAFU

11. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

So imagine for a moment how you would react if you went into your hometown NAPA and they treated you like sh*t.

That's what happened to me. I had a business account there for over 12 years, and then bam...... and no one at NAPA Corporate will bother to help.

I hope NAPA goes out of business.

SAFU

12. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Bump just to make sure the guys who were telling me to contact NAPA Customer Service by telephone saw the results of my efforts.

SAFU

13. 55f100tx

55f100tx

Alot of these NAPA stores are franchises. Many have auto repair shops and for some reason could care less about selling parts over the counter. They are only there to support the owners repair shop. Our local NAPA store is like that and over priced to boot. The way a business is run comes from the top down. Good Owner, good business, bad owner, bad business.

14. Ob1

Ob1

Went to NAPA to get a rear brake drum for my '63 1 ton Chevy dually {Grumman Kurbmaster}. Not available.

Ended up at Rock Auto online.

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But what if the sentence was, "Dealerships have no ethics."?

I was a parts guy at a GM dealership and got to see various and sundry crap that just doesn't fly with me, that was the summer of '86, that dealership went out of business years ago.

16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, I always get a part number online for what I am looking for, that way all I have to do is give the mouthbreather at the counter a number to look up the part. We had microfiche and a computer that told us whether or not it was in stock. I don't think there is a microfiche anywhere anymore.

17. duckman

duckman

In my home town ,our Napa store is Great!! , they have a repair shop and a tire shop ,The service and tire prices are Great Two brothers work there, one is at the parts counter , you can just tell him what you need and he can run to the back and get it or can make something else work.
    if he doesent have it he will find it at another store in town for you.
    The other brother works in the repair-tire shop, Always going the extra mile to help a customer. They say Henderson Tx. is a good place to retire.I think it is a good place to shop at Napa , DUCKMAN

18. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

hey my napas not all that bad they treat me well they know my cars and trucks and they give me a 50% discount for going to a tech school auto shop so in my book my napas cool

19. I could re-repeat the stories I heard about one local Napa franchise. I wonder how they stay open since the one guy who knew his ass from a hole in the ground moved away like 2 years ago. Stocking done wrong or not done at all (and telling people they were out of something because it was in the wrong place or still on the pallet), no inventory taken, wrong parts sent out and knowing and not caring, sexual harassment of customers, sexual harassment of employees (the gay guy harassing the straight guys, at that)... a regular three-ring circus. It was so bad when this guy I knew quit for a time for another job, several accounts went elsewhere, the owner begged him to come back and got those accounts back when they knew this guy was there again. It would piss them off to no end when I'd call and ask for the guy and if he wasn't there, say thanks and hang up -

But we have a big Napa store here in town and when I needed pushrods for the brakes for my '50 Chevy (converted to '54 brakes), the guy got out a book, looked it up, and they had it in stock. They had the hoses, too, and cheaper than anyone else.

So there's good and bad. I would have at least left a simple message for corporate, personally, I don't know what it would hurt - it's on their dime, at least cost them a few more cents.

20. pecker head

pecker head

I still aint gonna trade with them !

21. Yes and no. I collect old catalogs so I research the #s I need, then cross reference it to the part # of the brand names I know the store carries.

99 times out of 100 if I walk in and say I need this part, from this brand and the part # is "XXXX", the very next question I hear is,,,,,, "what car does it fit?"
    "Who the hell cares, I just gave you the damn number."
    "I cant look it up without knowing what it came off of."

:mad:

22. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

The local Napa and Carquest are terrible to work with and they rarely have the parts in stock. Plus they are only open til 6pm, and for a few hours on Saturday and closed on Sunday. The counter people are absolutely clueless and seem to sigh everytime a person walks through their doors. Most parts store employees are clueless, but the local O'Reilly has one guy in his late 20's that actually gives a shit. He always treats everyone with respect and is always willing to do a little research in the books if the computer data isn't making any sense. If he's dealing with someone, and another parts guy's counter is open, I will linger in the isles until his counter is open. One time, he even sent a parts truck to my house to bring a part to me because I didn't have a way to get to his store and I was stranded, I'm 8 miles out in the country. He's also thrown a few discounts my way from time to time. We need more guys like this. I avoid all other parts stores in town.

23. I haven't bought anything at a Napa in years. They were always more expensive then the mom & pop parts houses around me but their parts were usually good quality. What seems shocking to me in this thread is this paying for freight/shipping nonsense. Some of you can disagree with me on this and that's OK. You just keep paying for shipping.
    Now, I've been fooling with cars for many years and have dealt with several different parts stores and I cannot recall one instance where I purchased a part and was asked to pay for shipping. The only shipping I pay is if I order online. If I walk into a parts store to buy a part, I expect you to have the part or, if it's not in stock, to have it in a couple days. Paying to have your stock shipped to your store is not my responsibility. I don't own the store. I am the customer who keeps the store open. I am fortunate to have one real good actual auto parts store close to me. They got the parts and knowledgable guys to look them up. I'd be in hot water if Napa & Pep boys were my only choices.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have the main Phoenix NAPA warehouse store within 2 miles of my place. When I HAVE to go there I do - but I consider it the 5th circle of hell. Imagine a place where there are 12 parts counters - you take a number and wait. But the main reason you wait? 11 counters are staffed by non English speaking employees! I kid you not, you have to wait for the ONE English speaking staff member to be served... AAAAHHHHRRRRGGG!!!!

25. glassguy

glassguy

looks like 1 email , and 1 phone call.... im with ya man. ive had some bad experiance with them in the past myself.. but if they ever fucked me over like they did you i would go to the ends of the earth to make my point with them!!! or at least my finger would be on speed dial till i got to yell at someone!!!!!