Register now to get rid of these ads!

50s 60s 70s cliches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retro rodder, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Stick- on murals;
    Viking warrior holds CHICK in one hand while swishing sword at lion with the other hand. At sunset. In the desert. On a van.

2. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

Blairsville, Ga sounds like Montgomery, Al in the late 60s.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Screw thinking about seventies cliches, I'm driving one! Take one 29000mi. original '71 302/C4 maverick, make it red with a white top. Take four well used US INDY slot mags, 2 15x7 and 2 15x8, polish the living hell out of them, one bare foot gas pedal cover, stir it all together with the kenwood eight track player and speakers that came with the car, and you got my "B" set of wheels! I had to drive it to GoodGuy's this spring because of some damage the Plymouth sustained this spring, So my pictures coming in had me kinda looking away from the camera - A little embarrassed. To my great surprise - people loved it! Every one my age had one like it in high school, and the younger guy couldn't figure it out! Perfect! Can't bring myself to put long shackles on it, or slapper bars, or air shocks. But if I'd had this in high school, I'd have rocked! As it was in school, nobody my age could figure out my '35 Ford - so I was just eccentric.

4. jonly

jonly

this. and curb feelers.

5. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Rear window louvers for the F-body twins.

Chrome diff covers and slapper bars.

Corvette hoods on non-corvette cars.

Taking a hacksaw to your base Camaro bumper to make it look like a RS.

Boogie Vans

6. I thought it was. . .
    Eat Mo' Possum :D

7. What, don't you like getting a free massage while sitting at the stoplight?:D

8. Falconred

Falconred

I made many a trip through Montgomery in the late '60s and '70s as I did a lot of work in LA (lower Alabama to those not in the know). I worked in Atmore and later Camden.

9. Zerk

Zerk

Leopard or tiger convertible tops. See-through distributor caps. Landau irons on anything but T-Birds. License plate frames with clever sayings.

10. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Dipsticks with a dagger handle. A Craig 8 track with Mindblower speakers. Those sidepipes that exited in four curved tubes per side to emulate a funny car. Knew a guy with a '69 Z-28 who discovered what color his car was originally painted when the fake zoomies torched his paint just in front of the rear wheelwells.

11. yes I agree

I remember when the cameros were new that a '63 Impala was late model and really wanted to own one..

Never did care for sticker racers but there was always a couple in the school parking lot. The biggest joke was the '65 Valient with cheater slicks and shackles.

The big deal for me was always a sleeper. I don't recall ever building a 4 door anything. 4 doors were not cool and no one wanted one, although a friends mom had a '64 Chevelle with a hot 283 in it. If no one had a ride we could always borrow it.

Anyway being a kid in the transition from the '60s to the '70s the biggest trend that I recall were souped up '50s cars some smooth and some looked factory. If you had chrome reverse wheels you were the chit.

And there was the custom crowd, all very low and no one had bags.
    Little castors on the back bumper sure sign of a smooth custom.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Forgot about these... if you lived in the Chicago area, those WLS Radio sunshine balls (styrofoam) that went on the tip of your radio antenna. And.. listening to Chicken Man on the radio. Gary

13. hemi

hemi

Disco Sucks stickers.

14. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

Kilroy. My grandfather had a pink plastic one on his rig when I was a child.
    Plus putting a 350 in everything.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  15. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

How about those round after market headrests? We even used them in stockcars.

17. jchav62

jchav62

70's -

Door murals, sidepipes, traction bars, raised rears with wide a$$ back tires, 'scrolling' pinstripes on rough metallic paint jobs, Thrush muffler stickers, button tuck upholstery, custom 'square' headlights, bubble windows, Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps, CB's...

18. moefuzz

moefuzz

speedway "9super7' carbs

or

what was the question? :rolleyes:

19. Hi Jackers, with extensions

Chrome Genuine Suspension traction bars (On Datsun trucks), with lights on the back of them, and the bolt on "Sway bar"

Vibra-Sonic reverb for the 8 track

Zoom Tubes - the 4" diameter exhaust tips with nothing in them that came out in front of the rear wheels

Whip Antenna's with the Tennis Ball on top

Shag carpet in your mom's old Dart that you got as a hand me down

Van "Mud Flares"

Prizim Tape on the dash board

Wheel well lights

Little doggies in the back window with the bobbing head

but this still rocks!![​IMG]

I loved the comment about the retarded timing to make it sound like you had a cam - a friend did that to the 302 in his 70 Ford Van.

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

HAHA. I had a 66 Le Mans In high school. 1972/75.
    6 cyl and an auto. WAAAAAY baseline.
    Add 10" shackles. Add a short, oil filled glass pack. It was green and we got the brush and painted "GREEN GODDESS" (think wishbone) the whole way from the front bumper to the back bumper all 70's style. Paste the rear quarter windows with non existant speed equipment stickers. Yup, didnt get laid till I was 20.
    Knew a guy with a 53 chevy and his was "IRON BUTTERFLY" but his really went.

21. alittle1

alittle1

Wolf whistles!!!!

22. jchav62

jchav62

Musical horns...

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

24. imnezrider

imnezrider

'50's...lowering blocks, bull nose ('49/'50 Fords) and my favorite...miniture traffic light hanging in the back window (vacuum operated yellow/green, stop light switch operated red). '60's...Woody Woodpecker decal in back glass.

25. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Damn flashbacks....:cool:

26. Port-A-Walls that when you hit a curb they got bent out of shape and flapped around:eek: and I never actually saw any of these on the street but they were advertised in the Rod and Custom mags..Colored Dot-O-Walls:eek::eek:. Then there was WhiteWall Tire paint, the damn stuff never dried and every bug or piece of dirt stuck to them like glue:eek::eek::eek:.

27. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

Hands down, the worst 60's-70's cliche? Muscle cars.

28. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Those plastic nude pin up dolls in the clear cylinder that hung from the rearview. Always seemed like older guys had them.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Late seventies, early eighties southwest stuff.... UNION 76 antenna balls! For some reason, you had to have one. They had not been produced for about five years by then, so the truly cool pickins' on those was any SUN CITY buffet on Sunday morning! You always had your choice of several!Here in phoenix you had to have a KDKB sticker on your bumper, unless you just had AM, then it was KRIZ.

30. deucegasser

deucegasser

Beer keg shifter handles. Deep dish cragers on the front(four wheel drive stance),wheel bearing eatin' muthers.