Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear deck lid/rumble hinge idears?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.W., Jan 18, 2005.

1. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Gotsta git my rear deck lid to open like a trunk instead of a rumble seat. Just fishin for some ideas/tips or pics for the hinges and such.Old car hood hinges w/ the old coily spring or.......? Just curious to learn how others have approched this. Gonna put a bulkhead behind the seat and keep the gas tank, battery, the odd corpse or two (post dismemberment of course,it's not roomy there you know) so throw me an idea or two to stimulate my noggin and help me git this turd rollin! Thanks, David.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I guess a quick and cheap way would be to use a strap hinge like you see on garden gates, the two piece ones, strap and pin type. If you bend things right it could be removed completely for ease of packing. Drill both pins for a cotter pin and washer. Wish I could draw, hope this discripion helps. This setup is for use inside the trunk, hope nobody thought about putting it on the outside.

3. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Yeah, yeah, I see it, very simple. Was thinkin of somthin I dont gotsta prop w/ a stick though. Was thinkin that perhaps others have used hood hinges or some such stuffs? [​IMG]

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I cant help but wonder why you ask this. Henry had a goodlooking, simple, easy, inexpensive way to hinge the trunklid and all the parts are available from the Model A parts suppliers. Theres no need to re-invent the wheel.

5. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

Take MANYOLCARS suggestion and make it easy on yourself and keep the factory look as well. I remember my Dads MAFCA publications in the late 60's having a trunk lid to rumble conversion. So, to go the opposite shouldnt be too difficult. As far as the prop device, here is the one they sold in the 80's from Antique Auto. No stick needed

Attached Files:

6. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Yeah,I know snyders has stuff like that. When I got my car, it did not come w/ the hinges for the rumble lid so i'm just not sure if folk's modify the stock ones or what. Iv'e not got the originals to tinker w/ so i'm just thinkin out loud here before i go carvin on stuff. [​IMG]

7. lik2writ

lik2writ
    from NY

the trunk lid hinges are a totally different piece, so if you don't have the rumble hinges, it makes no difference.

8. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

[ QUOTE ]
    Take MANYOLCARS suggestion and make it easy on yourself and keep the factory look as well. I remember my Dads MAFCA publications in the late 60's having a trunk lid to rumble conversion. So, to go the opposite shouldnt be too difficult. As far as the prop device, here is the one they sold in the 80's from Antique Auto. No stick needed

[/ QUOTE ] Ah yes! I ask, Hambers answer! That is just what i needed to see. That there will work nicely. [​IMG] Thanks guys, David

9. av8jon

av8jon

[ QUOTE ]
    I cant help but wonder why you ask this. Henry had a goodlooking, simple, easy, inexpensive way to hinge the trunklid and all the parts are available from the Model A parts suppliers. Theres no need to re-invent the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did. I used repop hinge pins, prop and latch
    on my roadster. The holes in the front of the side drip channels are for the hinge pins that go into holes in the side of the lid that you will have to drill. Also there is a hole in the driver side drip rail that is for the stud for the prop. If you want a stock latch you have to drill the holes and mount the latch handle and the catch. I'm sure Mac's or any "A" supplier has all the repop parts you need. It's really a simple conversion once you see the parts. One thing I did was weld in thicker steel in the sides of the lid where the pins go for more bearing surface.
    Good luck,

10. JSM56

JSM56

sacramento vintage ford
    they have all those parts in their A caltolog