Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods June Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Phil Stroud, he drives a 32 roadster with a big hemi. The rocker arm covers stick out though the hood sides. He is suffering from "builder's block" and can't get started on the rest of the build. As you can see he is queer for polished aluminum. I hope the use of that old expression doesn't cause problems for you younger guys. He does a very thorough job and spends a lot of time on detail, notice the treatment on the holes in the front radius rods. The holes are lined with polished SS tubing. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1251691004049181497jybVKG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Great idea Bluto.....you might start a new custom paint rage.....Babbitt Flake. LOL

3. ebtm3

ebtm3

Right on!

Mac, the gray speedster has one without the O/D, The '28 Chevy coupe with the Isuzu diesel has one with O/D.

Next time you stop by you can try one--they come three shift versions- stick coming out of the lid of the box, stick about a foot behind the box, and set up for column shift (never saw one of these, probably never sent to US). The first of the four speeds was the M4 (type is on brass tag on underside rear of trans), and the syncros on those fell apart at high milage. Replaced '60-'61 with the M40 which was the start of a line of bullet proof boxes. The M40, while it has no O/D is the closest ratio of the bunch, after that first gear kept getting a little higher numerically with each succeeding model, but not so much that you can notice it driving. Volvos in the '60's and '70's were fine autos--had them and loved them. Then they started "improving" them--------

Herb Kephart

4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Herb & Bluto are right.....I drove many of my own and bought and sold some and the trans are great.

I had one that I bought that had 250K miles on it and but another 150k on it with the original trans......

5. casper

casper

Another dumb "what is it?" question. I picked up some cool banger stuff from a local guy and included was this finned aluminum side cover. It is smaller than a model A, any ideas? Thanks in advance! Kenny.

Attached Files:

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

That side cover looks to be late T

7. Thanks guys- will start searching. Bluto, you doing a jig yet- noboD said you were a fine dancer?

Herb,

Forgive me- I should have paid more attention!!! What is the designation for the OD unit (if not M40) and what can I find it in?

PS- looks like Jimmy Johns will be back on the map!

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

M46 J-O/D

Hope that helps

You can easily alter the linkage to fome our the stock location and floor board

9. I have seen the roadster around once or twice, now I will have to pick his brain the next time I see his car out. Me and Trad27 are always looking to learn more about local history of cars here in the valley and surrounding areas. Very meticulous is what I would call his affinity for polished aluminum :D:D:D. Thanks Bill for the lead on some knowledge to be had.-Weeks

10. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bluto is right - the M46 is the most common one in the US (don't know about the "Eastern front). A little more Volvo tranny info---

M40 (no O/D) and M41 (O/D) ratios 3.13, 1.99, 1.36, 1-1 (O/D .797)
    found in 142, 144, 145 Volvos with B20 engines 1966-'74

M40 and 41 changed to 3.41 first, other ratios same after '74

M45 (no O/D) and M46 (O/D) ratios - 3.71, 2.16, 1,37. 1-1 (O/D .797)
    found in 240 series 1976-'86

M45-46 good for 125 lb/ft of torque at 3500 rpm (probably good for more, but this is the highest torque figure that I saw in the info that I have)

Mac- the flow testing of the C4 heads has suffered a slight setback--have to ponder a bit--

Herb

11. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

I was just reading the summer 2010 issue of Rod and Kulture and on page 30 in the Dragfest article is a picture of Weeks46 coupe, at least its the same car in the avitar, thought you might want to get a copy. Jeff.

12. He is a buddy of Jim Richardson. Jim owned a 29 roadster with a Cragar that had a few write ups in car magazines. They both were good friends of Rosie's. Jim was the originator of the big Spam barbecue and Bean feed each year at the Left Coast Nationals. Another Oildale guy, Floyd Hanson, used to barbecue Spam on a 32 grille behind the stands at the Reunion and the March Meet at Famosa Jim's cragar equipped 29 ran a 83 or 84 one year at the Antique Nationals in Palmdale, would probably be 10% faster at Fontana. The last article I know of about Jim's 29 was in the Feb 2009 issue of Rod and Custom.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  13. I too have one of those although it is not as sophisticated as yours. The one I have has the pump built into the handle and it is a bit worse for wear. When I was in High School one of the guys wanted to lead in or fill the hood on his parents 46 chevy, I was asked to help as I was the only one that knew how to light the blow torch. In those days almost all home farm repair shops and garages had one of these. Not too many people could afford an acetylene outfit. Most welding shops had an acetylene generator and they were usually large and bulky. The bracket on the top was where you would place your soldering iron to heat And the small propane torches were not around yet . Well, after he was done with the hood you would almost get seasick because of the waves and warps in the hood

Attached Files:

14. noboD

noboD

All this talk about queer aluminum and jigs gives me an uneasy feeling. Next you will be discussing Dyke's repair manuals. Bluto, did the snowman melt yet?

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

16. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes Doug

It's 80 today....... much of Eastern Europe is flooded lots of damage in South Poland and Hungary may people homeless and some dead.

Sad for people that didn't have much to start with.

18. noboD

noboD

T-Head, I see they knew the value of seamless tubing back then, too.

19. noboD

noboD

Hope all is well with you and your darling bride. You better keep her!

20. I actually, at one time, had a 1932 Dykes Repair manual and I learned the basic's for tuning Winfield carburetors by reading the chapter on Winfield's in that book.

21. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Banger noob with a question.

I was curious if anyone has ever put a 38 Ford (v8-60) trans behind a banger. If so what work would be involve with doing this and would there be any benifit over the stock 3 speed.

Thanks!!!

22. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I think these guys had a little to much of what's on the bottom of the sign....

23. anyone have a print or drawing of a s 10 t5 adapter to AA bellhousing
    trying to through something together
    thanks guys
    tk

24. donrodin

donrodin

Got a couple questions, what kind of comfortable top speed can be had with a 39 three speed behind a mostly stock banger, I ask this because I would like to get the three speed/overdrive newer ford trans conversion but I already have a 39 trans and can do that conversion for 350 bucks versus over 2000 for the other... and the second question is will an engine run fine with a 7:1 head on babbit? Everybody says it won't but I have a bar of babbit that has a little more nickel in it than normal so wouldn't that make it a little harder and be able to handle the little extra preasure? And I don't drive like a maniac mind you, I give her a go every now and again but I just want to be able to drive her pretty much anywhere I wanna go.

25. The top speed would be the same as your "A" trans as both have a 1 to 1 3 rd gear. As far as the compression question 7 to 1 is usually OK
    if the babbit is good and you pay attention to the timing, not too much advance and don't lug the engine. Not sure if you want more pleasure or are concerned with pressure. Who is everybody?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  26. Herb,

What speeds are you able to get with the C4 speedster and the M46? Not that I want to do this consistantly, but most of the highways are 65-70mph down here.

27. ebtm3

ebtm3

Mac-
    The speedster has a M40 (non-O/D)

With 4.75-19 tires, and a 3.78 rear, 70 mph works out to be about 3070 RPM

If it had a M46, 70 MPH in O/D would be about 2450 RPM

Using different size wheels and tires, and/or different rear ratio would change both

Herb

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I got my buddys A engine running in my car Fri. night. (THANKS MIKE ) I ran it over the week end and drove it to work today. I feels great to drive my car again. I would of had it on the road 2 weeks ago but I ported it too much and put a hole in the intake port for cyl. #3. (OPPS... SORRY MIKE)
    Its all good now almost 200 miles and no missing water. Now back to working on my B engine.

29. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1940 Bob Sall #5 Peters Special Sprint Car Race???

30. Thanks again for the info- you're using 19" wires, right?