Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

The stock grill is starting to look pretty dang good to me too! ;)

2. X3 - I messed about with a few of these now and there isn´t much that seems to look better than the stock grille. Not without major work at least.

3. Went with maroon with white and a fade in the middle.

[​IMG]

4. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Dude, Not trying to tell you what to do with your car, but you should make the interior last. That way there is no chance of overspray, getting on your brand new interior.

5. zgears

zgears

Can anyone tell me how to lower and chop using Gimp? or direct me to a good tutorial.

6. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

maybe someone could give me some ideas on what to do with my old Merc? i would like to keep it white, maybe a cool flake color for the top? or a panel scheme with the white as the base? reason being i dont want to go full color change... wide whites, lowered a couple... but im open... im not so good with gimp. thanks
    [​IMG]

7. original patina

original patina
    BANNED
    from Texas

Quickie. Not a fan of whitewalls on a white car.

[​IMG]

8. zgears

zgears

Ok... I'm going to answer my own question. If any one wants to try this, down load Google Gimp(free) and fool around with "clone tool". thats all I used for this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. flynstone

flynstone

wow thats cool, but not knocking my socks off............i am going to get rid of the chrome down the middle.......thanks................mr x, ya..... i hear ya but the window to get the interior done was now..........................hmmmm the more i look at it,, kinda growing on me,,,,,,,,,,,any other options thanks again

10. zgears

zgears

[​IMG]

Crude but Im leaning..

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you ever want to go the Gasser route, this might work for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Here's a quick tutorial on lowering with GIMP. It's my first tutorial so go easy on me and don't be afraid to ask for clarification on any on the steps. I don't know your level of experience with GIMP, so forgive me if it sounds like I'm talking down to you. Also, there may be a dozen other ways to lower a car in GIMP/Photoshop, but this is the best way I know of to do it. I'd be interested to know how you other guys do this.

I use the Paths tool to lower a car. I'd learn how to use the path tool well, as you can use it to do many things while Photoshopping, or should I say "GIMPing" a car.(Also notice the Move tool as you'll be using that later on)
    [​IMG]
    If you need to learn how to use the Paths tool do a Google search for "GIMP Paths tool tutorial".

Now use the Paths tool to outline(select) the base of the car and then up the sides of the pic and over the top. You can see in the pics below where I've ran the path:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, in the "Select" drop down menu at the top of the GIMP window, choose "From Path". What this does is use the path you've created to make a selection of the original picture.

[​IMG]

Now, go to the Select drop down menu again and choose "Float". As it says, this will float/ separate the selected area off of the original picture.
    [​IMG]

Next, chose the move tool in the tool bar and use it to drag the floating section down. lowering the car.
    [​IMG]
    You can also rotate the floating section to get the car level or to make it an ass dragger. You can also use the directional keys on your keyboard, instead of the mouse, to lower the car after you've selected the Move tool and left clicked inside the floating selection.

Next, in the layers dialog right click on the Floating Selection layer:
    [​IMG]

And select "Anchor Layer":
    [​IMG]

Then just crop the pic to get rid of the blank space at the top of the pic that was created when you lowered the car. I hope this helps!(and I hope it make sense as I'm 3/4ers brain dead as I write this...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  13. flynstone

flynstone

bingo,,,,gasser .......

14. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Breeze window Merc!
    Thats what they called right?
    Theres a really neat one from japan, Ace Kustoms, check that out.
    Go late 60s early 70s w/ it and you win. Nice car.
    Oh, also someone on here has a nice one, Bigdaddyo i think is the name. NO www, this cars deserve pinners, either single doubletriple, gold or white. But no wides.

15. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

Bonez
    im kinda new to the traditional worl, so forgive me:confused: what are pinners and doubletriple? ive probably seen but never knew the name...:p
    ill have to check out the mercs you mentioned, thanks!

Thanks! i like, but when i do it i may use a darker roof... i didnt think about the white walls on white thing:rolleyes:...

you got me wanting to shave the excess chrome pieces now:mad::D maybe a later mod, but after seeing, i am severely tempted.

16. zgears

zgears

Nice work, and thanks for the tutorial.

17. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Pinner whites are just thin white walls. I think the word is a mix of thin and pin stripe.??? I have no idea what doubletriples are.:confused: Two or three thin whites walls??? I need some schoolin' too.

Astro Supreme wheels and I lowered it a bit.
    [​IMG]

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]

Z,
    Here's your car with the body sectioned about 6 inches, the top chopped about 3 inches and skirts. I tried to do the Copper you requested but it kept coming out looking like a puke orange.:eek: Maybe someone with the color skills, like James D, Skoh, SD or someone can run with this. The lines of this car are great, there's all sorts of possibilities. Good luck with the build.
    Eli

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

WICKED! a friend of mine said i should put astros on it ill have to search for a set asap!

i gotcha, now i have increased my rodder/kustom vocabulary

and, i will stay away from doubletripples... esp if it involves tequila

21. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Could someone help with this pic maybe flat blue and a sliver flake top.Or whatever you like:D ty.

Attached Files:

22. Real quick one for you.

[​IMG]

23. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Thanks man guess thats out hah.

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah this is what im talkin about.
    Triple pinners have 3 thin white stripes, double have 2, dunno if this is the correct name but i suppose it is.
    Anyway, here is an example of a triple thin white, but i must admit maybe it wouldnt look as good on your car. Im thinkin either a 3/4" or 1" white would swit best.
    Also a pic of the Japanese Breeze away.

Attached Files:

25. God I hope so!:D

What sort of thing are you going for? Racer, Kustom? Are the five spokes staying? Chrome on the sides?

26. duckman rob

duckman rob
    from NW Indiana

Hi could someone help with my truck? If you could do flat black on bottom and flat silver on top two tone with the two tone broke up at the belt line on the cab.

thanks in advance, Rob

Attached Files:

27. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

hey I hope someone can help me with photoshoping my comet, it was done a little before but I wanna see how this would look (the green) but with a black flake top (I was thinking black with gold flake) or even just 2 tone the green on bottom with the black on the whole top side, or in the space between the sede chrome, I guess its just on the shoping board and let me know what you guys think!

please and Thanks a bunch in advance!

-Julio

Attached Files:

28. jibby

jibby

Just wanting to see this shopped. Go crazy with it!
    [​IMG]

29. We bought this under restoration 28 chevy to build an old school banger. Picture this, Fenderless, channeled 10 over the stock chassis with the original wheel and tire combo maybe a little flat green paint and open top. Anyone willing to photo shop it to those specs?? thanks!!

Attached Files:

30. HotRodNisse

HotRodNisse

:cool:

Attached Files:

• gfh.jpg
      gfh.jpg
      File size:
      346.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010