Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *HELLONWHEELS 36 Ford 3W build* finally!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hellonwheels, Mar 28, 2010.

1. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Easy now, it's only sheet metal!! Haha!!

2. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Nice thread Micheal! Keep up the hard work... and see ya at the shop! We've got work to do...

3. im liking this. another hamb great.

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I love cuttin' but I hate weldin'.... nice work! :cool:

5. Moe

Moe

Great Job .... Awsome thread .....

6. Big Kevin

Big Kevin

Man, what an incredible thread. Great job MJ! Hell Yeah!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I hope I'm not the only guy overdue for a progress report.

8. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Ha, thanks! Things have been a little slow lately...

Been doing bodywork and some patching on the coupe back, gonna put it on the frame in the next week or two and start fitting the passenger side quarter, then on to shortening the b-pillar locations for the longer 3w doors. I'll update when I have some interesting photos...

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is just an observation and in no way criticism. It has to do with your obvious disdain for EMS. I am in no way connected with this business so this comes from a purely observation standpoint. Can you imagine all of the cars that have been saved by the availability of their products. Most individuals are no where near your level of quality demand. I know personally of several cars (some a lot worse than yours) that are on the road today being enjoyed when they were candidates for the crusher/recycler. I have a somewhat personal knowledge of what it takes to build dies, the work and $$$$'s involved, so I'm grateful for those individuals who pursue this as a business. I can tell you, more money can be made a whole lot easier than this business. It takes a passion for the work and a dedication to get these panels to market not knowing whether you'll ever show a profit for your effort. From another perspective, how about if you had nothing but a stack of flat sheet metal and a lace somewhat resemblance of what you needed. Wouldn't the EMS panels be better than that? For you, maybe not, as I'm sure you could pound one out in a few minutes and it would be perfect. That's NOT the position that most find themselves in.
    So, in conclusion, I want to thank you for taking the time to present this thread. It's very informative and inspirational and I, for one, can't wait for the next installment.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Took a while to figure out EMS was not a paramedic, but if their sheetmetal doesn't fit I'd modify it so it did, just like Hellonwheels. LESS Bondo is a GOOD thing.:D

11. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Subscribed. Thanks for sharing.

12. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Don't want my thread to turn into a debate about EMS, I wasn't trying to bash them, actually the 35/36 tailpan looks like it's going to work fine (what I'm going to use of it anyway). I also understand it can't be cheap to make the tooling for body panels. I just wanted to warn the guys who expect them to fit, that they don't. They aren't cheap by any means and having to modify them to be closer to factory negates what they charge, in my opinion (and I have a substantial investment in EMS panels at this point, believe me!). On the other hand, I have read other threads where guys were satisfied with the fit (like the early 50's Chevy car stuff?), so what do I know?

Only that I bought these pieces because I'm one of those guys you mentioned, that CAN'T make these panels!

Thanks for thinking that maybe I could :), and for the compliments.

13. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Looking good, post the "boring" stuff as you called it, we won't mind.

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

how many cars did you cut up to do this ? ............ steve

15. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

16. MODELA30

MODELA30

I want more!!!!!!! Knuck from indiana.

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Time for an update :D:D:D

18. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

19. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate
    from California

Looks great!! I like it! :)

20. fordb132

fordb132
    from Norway

Please give us some update on your 3W build.

Attached Files:

21. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Yeah whats new???? New pictures and updates are in need at this time!

22. LORYDER

LORYDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome post.
    The attention to detail is something else, just keep the post coming and thanks for taking the time to post all this.l just can imagine the hours you got into this project.
    lts just to many...:eek:

23. Great work....Your teaching me all kinds of good stuff !

24. I hope this isn't too much of a newb question. What kind of tool are you using to cut down your welds, and what are you using to finish the metal? Is it an angle grinder or a DA? I have filled a couple holes on my most recent project, but my metal doesn't look near that nice.

25. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I haven't been around here much lately and I've missed a lot. Glad I found this thread, and hope to see more soon. Fantastic work!

26. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

I describe what I do on page 5, post #84, hope it helps.

Thanks for all of the comments guys, haven't been working on it as much as I want to but I've gotten a few things done. Got a new update which I'll post now, but it's not really exciting. I'm hoping it starts to look like a car again soon and then we'll have some real progress!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  27. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

As many of you know, it's hotter 'n hell down here in Tejas and I work outside alot for my job, so what do I usually do when I get home? Thats right, sit my rear on the couch in the a.c. instead of going out to the shop to work. No bueno!! Anyway, here's what's happened since the last update (not alot!).

Finished up most of the dents on the tail section, the weirdness on the bottom reveal will be addressed when I replace the tailpan:

[​IMG]

Fixed the cage nuts for the driver rear fender and painted the inside of the coupeback in preparation for going on the frame:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before the cowl assembly was pulled off the frame, I wanted to fix the door gaps, so I hung the doors and:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the coupeback went on the frame OVER the tooltray that I fixed before and it was time to final-weld it in. In the last pic you can see the body mount/bumper bolts sticking out at the bottom where the tooltray is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a body crossbar that spans the wheelwells towards the rear under the floor and it's also where another body bolt attaches to the frame on each end. The one riveted to the coupeback is wasted, a view from the passenger side behind the c-notch:

[​IMG]

The crossbar in the sedan was in suprisingly good condition considering the rust I've dealt with so far, so it will replace the crappy one. Here it is after sandblasting (on the left), next to the original on the driver's side behind the c-notch:

[​IMG]

The frame is angled downward towards the back here, so Ford put a piece of angled wood underneath the crossbar on each end to level it for floor attachment. Of course I don't want wood under the car, so I replaced it with an angled steel plate on the bottom side to rest on the frame. The crossbar is upside down in these shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then put in tubing for a crush sleeve. Body bolts pass through these on each end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crossbar will go in later, I'm leaving it out for easier access when this stuff gets pasted together. I need all the help I can get!

Time to cut the last of what I don't need from the coupeback. Made my cut lines, you can see two lines to the right of the b-pillar. This is where the sedan b-pillar will attach to allow for the longer doors. The one I actually cut is to the left, a 1/4" longer than I need, the other is where I will trim towards. Better safe then sorry, I've been sorry too many times!! Then made cut lines for the roof beltline. It will move forward quite a bit, which means a longer trunk. Gotta love a big ass!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B-pillar cut:

[​IMG]

Beltline cut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

As I said earlier, the passenger side is being replaced with another quarter I have, so I had to make my lines and cut that sucker off. This was the most nerve-racking thing I've done so far, but that quarter was too tweaked out of shape for me to fix. Out of my league! After the cuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow!! This is the most deconstructed it will look, but most of the bad has been removed. I'll admit that I'm tired of cutting and I'm ready to start building. I want to see a body before the Roundup!! I think it's do-able and that's my goal. One good thing is my buddy Alec just sprung for a TIG machine so I think I'll be TIGing all the sheet and get a much better result! Stay tuned for the next update!

29. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Holy moly, awesome work.