Register now to get rid of these ads!

how did they make these pipes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shitbox2, Jun 25, 2010.

1. shitbox2

shitbox2

[​IMG]
    I love the look of this car...if anybody knows the person...i would like to know how he made them if he has any progress pics... thanks eric

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just like the ones that go down except...up.

3. Master of None

Master of None

They are are most likely a set of you fab lakes style header kits, Speed way motors has a kit, check www.speedwaymotors.com

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Zibo made a set of lake style headers for his flathead caddy motor. Do a search for him.

5. sololobo

sololobo

God what a great LaSalle, I also see a 59 Ford Ranch Wagon like mine behind it. Cool rides. Speedway kit will duplicate these bad boys for sure, really an agressive statement for this big car. Cool!! ~Sololobo~

6. R Pope

R Pope

Take a 4" pipe, cut a tapered piece out of it, hammer it over a shaft till it's tapered just right and weld the seam. Nuttin' to it!!!

7. johnnykck

johnnykck

I built the car and the pipes, the engine is a 1970 caddy bigblock, I made the flanges and used mandrel bent tubing to build the header tubes, the cones are from speedway.
    Glad you like them.
    The car looks like this now and will be getting a new exhaust under the car soon.

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

On the right style car....

That exhaust kicks ass.

[​IMG]

9. shitbox2

shitbox2

i think the car looks mean as hell.....thanks for the info... I'm thinking about throwing a set on my 48 poncho...what do you guys think[​IMG]

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell no! run the exhaust like it should be run and don't make it a tacky assed rat car. Plus those photos of guys and their wives cruising with those sound deadening earmuffs look funny as hell.

11. pitman

pitman

Went to a small Cruise night gathering, some dork pulls in w/a 383 Roadrunner, getting past us earlybirds, pulls a cutout lever and punches it for 5 seconds.
    After an industrial hearing injury 5 years back, it wasn't much fun the second time.

12. sawzall

sawzall

i think ... NO..

the over the top pipes seem to work only when you have a car with no hood sides (ala the cad/ lasalle and the nash? posted in this thread)

i do however think little dumps under the front fenders would look cool and would go with the sneaky factor..

just remember the ride home from our trip to wrightsville, you dont want exhaust fumes entering the car again
    jeff

ps.. nice wheels.. ha!

13. shitbox2

shitbox2

good call ... that seems way better...thanks guys

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I built a set of those for Fuelpump's '37 a few years back. The build was covered here on the HAMB but I doubt the pictures are still available. Rich was inspired by a picture that was posted on the Friday night art thread and inquired it they could be duplicated. I'm sure something similar had been in the past but at the time no one could come up with a picture. So, we ordered a lakes kit from Speedway and I started cutting and welding. Maybe someone has the pictures saved.

Frank

15. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

Buy the kit and weld them up how ever you want. Like art work. But their kinda like cherry tobacco, some must like it but tastes like someone spilled perfume in it to me. Gene

16. While I dig the look, I'd be more worried about some kid walking past and touching them while they're still hot as the hinges of hell.

Bob

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like em, but not on that big of a car!

Attached Files:

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

:cool:With out a turnout or angled so it dose not mess up the side of car they look bad to me,with it they look good

19. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Glad you find our behavior ammusing.

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Funny as hell was a very polite way of saying it. Those pipes do not suit that style of car and look awful.

Lakes pipes are fine as long as they are blanked off and run into a decent exhaust system that takes the noise and exhaust back where it belongs.

21. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

yeah sure. If you say so.......

22. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Why the hell would you put them on your car if you dont ever run it un-corked. Just put normal headers on it.

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

They used to craft these out of torque tubes. I will tell you guys I really like the way these look on that first black car, Rodsters post, nice bolognia cut on the pipe and it looks like a cool end muffler, very sanitary, I couldn't argue with the look on that car, some of the others maybe not so much, have at it over them.

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

25. Giancarlo!

Giancarlo!

What kind of rims are these?