Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which tranny do I go with?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sam Navarro, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Guys- I thought that I was going to go with a 700 tranny but when I got my rearend and counted the gears it looks like I have a 2:43 or so rearend. It is out of a 86 Monte Carlo, Afetr talking with a few buddies I have heard that a turbo350 is the way to go with that gear ratio. So once again I turn to the wisom of my fellow HAMB'ers for great advice, what do you guys think???? I want some giddie up off the line but I would like to get 80mph on the highway comfortably. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated as always!

Sam

2. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

the one that DOESN'T have the adams apple......

3. 69fury

69fury

first, recount your rear ratio.
    second a 700 actually has a deep (real deep) first gear that would be best with a horrible gear that far into the 2.'s (even if you never needed overdrive)

i'm thinking you should post tire sizes, planned usage, recount the teeth and if that's accurate, it might be best to change the gears.

4. Abone29

Abone29

Damn, that's a tall gear!!!

5. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Not Bad Larry! The way that I came to that ratio was I counted one gear and got 20 and then counted the other one and got 48 and divided, is this not the correct way???

6. Abone29

Abone29

That's right divide the ring by the pinion.

7. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

that sounds right on the gear ratio.i had one that ratio and it was posi

8. SHRUM

SHRUM

9. nwaringa

nwaringa

Swapping rear gears seems like a better option no matter which man whore you decide on.

10. 61falcon

61falcon

the better choice is the overdrive trans with a taller rear gear, somewhere in the low to mid 3.0 range. i have a 3.90 gear with a T5 and a short tire and it still does decent on the highway in 5th (overdrive) and gets out of the hole real nice.

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The post op. one

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If that ratio is right...you want the low first of the 700, but the car will probably stall and start rolling backwards when the thing shifts into OD!
    Don't spend any money on anything else til you have swapped to a decent rear ratio... 2.43 will negate anything you do to the car, and most souping up will REDUCE your performance pulling that gear! It is EVIL!!
    When you fix that, go with an OD...you can then go quite low on the rear gear and have both killer acceleration and good cruise RPM. With a low rear, compare 200R4 and 700. You may not need the extra-low first. 200R4 has about the same first 3 gears as 350, then an overdrive to give back your cruise capability.