Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods June Bang-Er thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Head, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Most of the advance numbers posted here, and what I have found elsewhere indicate the kind of advance Bill is talking about, 10 degrees static + 10 degrees for each 1000 RPM

How much total you end up with depends on how hard you rev it.

So what sort of revs were the "DUMB" overheads pulling when they had 45 or 60 degrees?.... that will tell you (roughly) what advance curve they have

2. Does anyone have any photos of a Banger with a blower on it?

I just purchased a small S.C.o.T blower (12 rib) and am contemplating options for mounting it

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My Roto-Faze has 40 degrees internal advance all in by 2000

4. What is your opinion of the Roto-faze?

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here you go

Attached Files:

6. Yep, THATS a banger with a blower on it alright

How about a Model A or B with a small roots style blower ? :D

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought one for my GMC. Then I bought one for my Packard. Now I bought one for my Banger. Guess I like 'em. Seem well made to me.

8. 97

Joe has been making them for a while now, I was reading a 1963 car craft magazine yesterday and there was a picture of Joe fitting a Roto-Faze ignition to a magazine project car.

He is the real deal, hot rodder , still makes all the bits himself and assembles each ignition , tests and delivers....No big off shore corporation involved...
    I call in whenever I am in the area ( USA :D) , and have never seen an employee working there.
    Just Joe doing his thing.........ya should call ahead though he keeps the doors and gates security barred and doesn't do well with surprise visits .

9. Hello, Hello, Hello.

Been a while since I have posted.

I took the A to the L.A. Roadster Show. It ran decent enough the day before, swapped carbs, fixed fuel leaks, ran in the dirt at my buddies place, got to the show it ran like huge crap. Even though I was excited to have driven it by its own power in the show, I wanted to make a better impression. Sure looked nice on the outside, but like crap in the running, on top of that it got close to overheating. :eek: As soon as I got home, I wanted to pull and literally bury the engine and toss in a V8 flatty in its place since I know more about them. Yeah, it would be more work...maybe Ill be happier!

I need help. Is anyone interested to come up to my place and spend an hour or so to help me get it dialed in, so I could enjoy it more and get it on the road. My daughter keeps asking me when we are going to take a ride into it, and im embarrased to tell her, I cant fix it! :eek:... I could, but im so full of information on this thing; I dont know which way is forward or reverse :)

Please Pm me if you can help me. I dont expect anyone's time for free, I would be happy to pay for it, pick up lunch, a case of ????....let me know. Thank you.

Attached Files:

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If you look in the banger thread from April 2008, starting with post # 77, there are several pictures of bangers with forced induction.

Here is a link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254739&page=4

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Quote; Halfdone..... Does anyone have any photos of a Banger with a blower on it?

This is the opposite end of the spectrum from what Bluto posted recently.

This is a period T with Gregg centrifugal blower driven by two chains and some sort of right angle drive. This is different than the Gregg system described below. The head is a SOHC Fronty. I suppose if the speeds of everything in the drive was correct it would have been OK for the shorter races that most of these cars ran in if it was maintained regularly.

Let us know if you have any info on this system. The blower itself looks like it maybe a Gregg as shown below.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The Laurel supercharger system designed by Robert Roof for the Model T Ford. This is all of the information I have on it and wish I had more as this looks like it was an incredible automobile.

Follow my link below to a thread I have created on the model T racing car. Many people don't know about some of the very sophisticated equipment that was made for them. Follow along as we cover the different lines of speed equiptment along with the cars.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

The Gregg supercharger for the Model T Ford that was also crank driven.

14. Crazydaddy-o lives in So-Calimexico, might ask him for some help........ Sounds like maybe a timing issue to me by the overheating possiblity idk much though just my .46-Weeks

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If your waaaaay up in the air or have no compression OR the motor doesn't get enough fuel/air ......... you can puts TONS-0-TIMING in

Also if you've any sharp edges inside the combustion chamber like a spark plug thread timing won't mean much......... mixture will fire on the glowing sharp spot.

Anyone seen my babbit gun?

Attached Files:

16. ok i have a question for the reverse induction banger guys..
    how well would it work to do a reverse induction (exhause becomes intake/intake becomes exhaust) but use a riley 2 port over valve head?????
    it now has 4 intake valve and 4 exhaust...i'll be it still only 2 ports for the
    just a day dream
    thanks
    tk

17. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

T-head

Yes the blower is a Gregg. It is chain driven 1 to 1 off the crankshaft. Their are many detailed pictures on my website www.buymegivemetakeme.com
    In the pile of parts that came with the car is the original crank coupling for the supercharger. why it is set up the way it is we will never know--perhaps someone's better idea or perhaps the car was just too short.

18. Received this photo from an old friend in Bakersfield. He is building a "Lakes Modified"

Attached Files:

19. WOW- that's one heck of a Quad4!

20. Hmmmm, now who could that be.......... Have not seen many bangers around these parts with that much attention. Anymore pictures?-Weeks

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

For those of you So Cal pre war enthusiasts, the first of many small pre war swaps is this Saturday.

[​IMG]

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

darn nice motor ya got there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. steve

23. I've been thinking about transmissions lately for the '28 Chevy... has anyone done any research into
    5 speeds OTHER than the T5? My little gem didn't make more than 40HP stock, so I don't think that I'll ever need a WC casing T5 to handle it's "pep" and I need all the foot space I can get.

Any thoughts?

24. 88daryl88

88daryl88

In Aussie, the universal 5 speed swap for the last 30 years has been the (Shhh! O.T. :eek:) Toyota RWD from Corona's, Celica's and in later years Supra's.. Cheap, readily available, reliable and strong enough for V8's up to 5L. or so!

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I use Volvo O/D ..... close ratio, and basically 7 gears forward with the locks off........ they won't take tons-0-torque but are like "a hot knife thru butter" shifting.

26. Thanks guys- great to see you back Bluto!!!

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you think my back is great I'll turn around. :D

Lets see everyones babbit gun!

I still can't have anything sharp

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bluto , good to have your humor back here .................... steve
    ps: hows "Z" ?

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love the Banger threads, now if only I could understand them. :D

Wow... I've got a LOT to learn. I'm looking forward to it.

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

With my gun I can spray the leftovers on the cars outside not leave it a durty lump on the table :D