Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods track T ideas; something different?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jun 23, 2010.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

haven't seen many (any?) track T's here... too "new"? i'm toying with an idea for another (ANOTHER!?) potential project, using a Falcon six and three speed to build a track T...

i have seen some Falcon sixes in rods here, but not many track T's so far.

i'm building a 5.0 to put in the Falcon and will have the six left over...

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There was one that made the rounds of Rod Action magazine back 1976 or so. First it was featured as a "garage scene" kinda deal, then as a finished car. I always thought it was cool, but the nose was a bit long for my taste. Gotta admit though, I looked awfully hard at my spare Falcon six pile a couple of times. Saw the same car recently in either Rod and Custom or Street Rodder in event coverage from Colorado, had to be the last year or so.

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've seen that thread before, and I just kinda skimmed it right now, but I didn't see the one that I was referring to. I have thought about it since i posted earlier in the day, and the same car was also featured in Hot Rod in '77, and the same article ran in the Rod and Custom Quarterly #2,3,or 4, in seventy-eight or so. It was called "Street roadster for a dollar a pound". We wouldn't call it traditional today, but just a change of wheels and tires would have fixed that. Hell, nothing was "traditional" then!

5. 62rebel

62rebel

i must not have been looking hard enough! thanks for linking the thread; it is literally filled with fine examples to pick and choose from for ideas.

applied for my old job back at the manufacturing plant today; i have literally had my fill of the dealership scene and my managers. i thought the NAVY had some serious chickenshit to wade through.... you know; useless time wasting procedures when simple "get it done" is better...

6. SkipinHouston

SkipinHouston

IF you can hook up with someone from Australia, they have a cylinder head down there for the 170/ 250 series 6-cylinders that you can put trip deuces on.
    I think that would qualify as different and very KOOL.
    Skip in Houston

7. Kinky6

Kinky6

I just did a quick search through my photos for a shot of a gray or silver two seater, maybe a track T or '28 A modified w/ a 170 or 200 6, maybe from somewhere in N.C. Yep, you could make a neat little rod with that engine.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

8. I think what you are looking for is, a North Dakota HAMBr with (I believe) a 27 track and a inline 6. I may have the pic saved at home.

9. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

The main problem with a six in a track T is there is very little room in a T roadster body for the driver when the fire wall is pushed back 6 to 8 inchs. If you don't go back with the eng and extend the front ,it starts to lose the race car look which was the purpose of Track T's to begin with. Many later racing Track T's had engines set back that amount but then the seating position ends up very similar to what a Sprint Car is today. I'm not trying to discourage you from using a six in a T roadster just pointing out that that that look is hard to get if you want some room to drive it. For some reason I can't get pictures to post tonite. There is several threads on my car on here, search them.

10. I think this is it. Got a chevy six, just imagine the intake and exhaust on the other side.

Attached Files:

11. I used an English Zephyr engine in my old T when I built it 10 years ago. I built it on a 110" wheelbase & recessed the firewall about 5". I'm toying with the idea of using a Falcon 250 & putting it in a T as well. Note this was painted this colour after I sold it, I'll try & find a pic when it was blue & red. I wouldn't bother with the 3 speed as you can fit the T5 - 5 speed easily enough. The Falcon sixes are bullet proof & are a good cheap motor to use, as most people remove them & put in a V8, just as you are doing. If you have the front spring above the axle you shouldn't have to recess the firewall. It's when you use a suicide front mount that the proportions start to go out some what. Go for it & let us know how you get on.

Attached Files:

• myt.jpg
      myt.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010