Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slideone, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Slideone

Slideone

It seems a lot of folks are hung up on Flowmaster mufflers. I am toying with going with glasspacks for the 350 chevy motor, anyone using these are they way to loud? The flowmasters just sound way to common.:)

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Glasspacks is a generic term for a number of mufflers built like that, and they all sound different. Are you looking at the red Cherry Bombs, or what?

3. Depends on the length and bore size as to how loud they are. And they do have a tendency to get louder with age.

The last ones I used were Red Hots by flowtech. They cruised alright but when you stood on it they might as well have been straight pipes.

I would go with glass packs or steel packs given the choice over flowmasters if I was building a traditional rod.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Porter's would be my recommendation, and they're here on the HAMB

5. Yes, the longer glasspacks the quieter. And they come in MANY lengths. Also, some glasspacks are directional. If you look inside, and the perforations look like an open fish mouth, aiming the openings towards the engine makes em quieter than aiming the openings towards the exit

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

I've used the long Smitty's (bought through Speedway) on my pickup with a 292 v8 and headers, and love the sound . . . nice and mellow, but not at all loud to my ears. I do a lot of roadtrips on the truck plus really don't want to piss of the neighbors as the truck is my daily driver. A guy in our club has 30" glasspacks on his '58 Chev with a 283, and it sounds great - even quieter, but still with a nice tone.

Really when it all comes down to it though, it is all a matter of personal tastes and what you like hearing, so its very subjective.

7. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I have cherry bomb glass packs on the caddy right now, not too loud but i am going be switching to porters because I like the sound better.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porters, or some say Brockman Mellowtones.

9. dan67

dan67

We've been using a lot of the Pypes mufflers and exhaust systems in the shop lately, and the sound is awesome. Not to mention they're stainless so we don't have to worry about rot here in the Northeast.

10. brandon

brandon

i had some smitty's on my coupe for a while.....couldn't believe how quiet they made the car....which made all of the rattles , squeeks , and other noise , really stand out......:rolleyes::D was going to put the quiet setup back on for bowling green , but who'd guess that ram horns wouldn't fit on a late model truck head....:confused:

11. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

12. L O V E my Smithy's !!

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

14. Thrush Turbos. Had em on my 40 Chevy and now on the 29, both have 350 SBC and they sound nice, not to loud but very throaty. About $26.00 each at O'Rielly Auto Parts.

15. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

i got glass packs on every thing i own, i lov the sound of them, not shure on the brands, most have been on there for a good decade or more, and they do get louder with age witch makes them sound great

16. brandon

brandon

problem with them now , there are what 10 different versions....? i had a old pair from 1990....and they had a sound that isn't like most of the flowmasters today......

17. ain't that the truth. mine are super 40's i think. everybody and their grandmother runs them, but dumped with long tube headers sounds pretty bad ass in my opinion. :D

18. I like my magnaflows....low interior resonance....I run an x-pipe so maybe I'm too big a puss to count. I'm not into loud. I'll take out the 12 ga. if I want loud.

Loud pipes won't save your hearing!

19. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

times 2

20. jdubbya

jdubbya

I went with Twisters by Flo-Pro, they are a scavenging race muffler, and have a chambered sound, but have a sound all their own at higher RPM, here is a video of my truck with them on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpypBWBOCo8

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, how do you like them ? What do they sound like and do they actually work well to quiet the tone down when you need it ?

22. I'll add in another for Porters. Mine have gotten considerably mellower with a little drive time, and really sound good when I get on it - this is with a 292 Chevy 6 and 2" pipes. Even had a couple guys come up and compliment the sound at Back to the 50's while cruising....

23. PM sent. They do make a considerable difference - but NOT like cut outs. They have an agressive sound when open and mellow when closed.

24. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

There used to be a Glasspack called the Roadrunner. They looked
    like a Smithy but were Gold in color. Haven't seen these in years. They are all that I used to use in the late 70's and early 80's. They had a Killer sound, a little loud and very deep.

25. Old Dog

Old Dog

Running 24 inch thrush glasspacks located under the rear seat area in front of the rear axle on my 63 fairlane. The exhaust are 2.25 inch run from stock exhaust with a H pipe connection about midway of the transmission tailshaft. The engine is 260 with a 4 speed transmission and 3:25 rear gears.

In a 72 ranchero I used to have, I had Black Jack headers going into Hursh Thrush header mufflers and 2 inch pipes run to the back bumper. The engine was 351C with auto Tx.

When I get to the exhaust on my Falcon Sprint I have Dougs headers and want either Smithy's or Porters with 2.225 pipes.

I think the tone is sweeter with the mufflers closer to the engine likr header mufflers give when the pipes carry the exhaust to the back. What do you guys think?

26. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

My truck has Flowmaster 40s right now, 3" in and out. I am changing it over to 2.5" from headers back with Flowmaster 40's, cutouts, and dumps right after the muffler. My friends Comet has the same setup..sounds killer. I do like the Mellowtones though. I listened to a lot of clips with them.