Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '61 Tbird Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim53, Jun 22, 2010.

1. slim53

slim53

Finally found a window of opportunity to post some progress pics of my Tbird. It was pulled out of field after sitting for 25 years. I updated the m/c to a dual one, new wheel cyl, drill honed the block and put in new rings, new carb, then some tread and bombed it like that for a 1/2 summer.

The car had been repainted once but was heavily faded. I started to sand/polish it and noticed the original paint was still decent underneath. The car is pretty straight save for some weak 1/4's, so I figured I should keep sanding and see what I get. There had been some door ding repair when it was repainted and that's where the primer spots are. I didn't like how it looked so I bought some spray bomb of a like color and sprayed it over the primer spots. Hit the car with some 1000 grit followed by some 1500 and buffed it out. It was crazy how much that old lacquer popped!

I picked up some spider caps and just couldn't put them on black steelies so I shot a lil lacquer candy red over some silver to clean them up. Took a coil and a half out of the front springs to get the vertically challenged stance handled. I need to pick up some blocks in the rear to level out still. Hopefully this winter I can get the body repaired and put something that resembles an interior in the car this winter....we'll see.

Slim

Attached Files:

2. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

You will have to make your own lowering blocks for the rear. The centering pin is 1 inch. I made mine out of 2 1/2 sqaure tubing.

3. slim53

slim53

I thought so. I actually used your car for an example on where I want my car to sit. I really dig it.

Slim

4. slim53

slim53

TTT for the night crowd...

5. 61TBird

61TBird

Do you have a pic with the 'skirts on?

6. slim53

slim53

Or more appropriately, do I have any skirts? Nope. I don't have enough quarter panel to install skirts even if I had them. We'll see how the winter goes. I have a little one on the way so I have to finish the car some more so we can haul a baby in it.

7. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

That's a bitchin' looking car. I think it sits damn near perfect in the rear as it is. I've always wanted a mild custom bullet-bird.

I pulled a '63 out of a field a few years back, traded an old tube amp for it.....should have kept the tube amp, the unibody was ROTTEN. GONE. Rear leaf spring mounts were through the trunk, and the front half of the unibody was MIA. Body was solid though.

8. bryan6902

bryan6902

Looks great! We probably have that 2 1/2 inch tube at my folks, I'll be there Saturday AM, so I will check then.

9. slim53

slim53

Thanks man. I need to lose this rake something fierce.

Slim

10. Scotty500

Scotty500
    from MPLS

Slim I have alway liked your ride I don't know if I've told you that. Sometimes I just get caught up in life to tell those around me how much there cars mean to me. I'm looking at building a few blocks for the Poncho too.

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I took the wheel wells from from a pair of front fender to use on the rear Gives it a kool flow. Excuse the non HAMB friendly wheel package. The car was finished off by a fellow in Vegas names Jay Hawkins. His paint skills are top notch!

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
  12. slim53

slim53

Thanks man! We should have a block building party. haha