Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the name of your 1/4 mile when cruising?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jun 23, 2010.

1. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I 95 in Norwalk, Ct. At midnight. Back in 61-62 not much traffic then.

2. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

For Me it was the Columbia Parkway extension on the East side of Cincinnati

Buzz

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

We had an exact 1/4 mile marked of on Rt. 17 about a mile East of town. The starting line was a culvert just West of a crossroad, it had 2 pairs of refectors on posts to mark it and there was a telephone pole exactly 1,320 feet West of that we nailed reflectors to. When somebody wanted to run they'd pull up and just say "Out East?"

There were railroad tracks that ran parallel with a gravel road running parallel to them on the other side. The town cop used to park on the gravel road and watch us, as long as we were cool in town he left us alone. Even the County and State cops were pretty cool about it back then. They'd just roll up where we were hanging out and "mention" they had some complaints and if we saw the guys that were racing out there to let them know to cool it, knowing damn well it was us.

4. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

The Rails,Back road between Fonda and Johnstown N.Y. a little over a 1/4 mile flat and straight with cable guard rails on both sides.Then another mile of straight to slow down.You started where the guardbrails started,and let off at the end of the rails.1960s

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

My Dad and Mom's house we used a speed limit sign at the west end of my street for the starting line and Dad and Mom's mail box was the end of the 1/4. we marked it off using a 25 ft. tape, shit it took a long to mark it, 1,320 feet 25 feet at a time. We had to move the mail box 13 and a half feet to make it, man Mom was mad about it Dad laughed about it.

6. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Quigly Rd in Cleveland. Just called it "Quigly"

7. specialk

specialk

Crystal Lake, Il - late 70's early 80's

Ackman Road

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

It was the Lafayette Bridge before the loop in downtown St. Paul got shut down. Later, a lot of street racing went on in an industrial area known as "Red Rock".

9. Maize road,
    Wichita International raceway
    West Highway 39th st south West of Cheney, Kansas
    Elevated Hwy 35 thru Wichita before it was finished
    The road that goes in front of the UPS center in Wichita.
    Hwy 494 in Minnetonka, Minn.
    Hopkins, Minn main street,
    Lake street
    Douglas in Wichita

Oh yeah ...Paradice road

10. lorodz

lorodz

well here there is many oldies ive been to
    francis louis pkwy
    fountain ave
    connecting highways
    231 (dpa)
    eddison ave
    wireless drive
    north and south street
    gruman rd
    im shure im forgetting some

11. What part of Mooney could you race on. Without getting cought that is. :rolleyes:

12. Spike!

Spike!

Front street- Philadelphia PA.

Also in Philly- Delaware, Little Delaware and 11th street. The Automall as well..

The Meadowlands in New Jersey

Closer to the burbs of Philly- Ridge Road and 9th street in chester

Delaware- 141 and 202, Gov. Prince for the faster stuff.

There were plenty more, but those are the ones I raced back when..

Spike

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

"Boggy" as in Boggy creek bridge.

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Nine Mile and Faudree Rd

Nine Mile was a county road that started and ended in BFE, but it passed the county landfill where we all parked and had the starting line. It's name came from the fact that this stretch was 9 miles between intersections. From the starting line, you could see approaching cars for 5 minutes before they arrived. Almost impossible for the law to sneak up on you... almost...

Faudree Rd was named for some old family, but it was just another road to nowhere, so traffic was light and thru traffic was non-existent.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Ryan probably made a pass on one of these, among others closer to his own stomping ground, like Midkiff Rd.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Canada Quarter. It looks like the country just north of us but it's a Spanish name Cun-Na-Da. Down hill marked off with painted stripes and you coulsd sut off and park in the Lot at Pulgas (fleas) temple. Where the SF area water flowed into Crystal Springs lake from Yosemite. In '55 -'57 it was popular enough to get towed in Fuel roadsters once in a while. Finially a lady reporter for the San Mateo Times wrote a big expose about what was going on and the county opened up Half Moon Bay drags to get the kids off the street. Good thinking. To bad our county supes are only interested in Gay Rights issues now.

16. calvinh

calvinh

"Test and tune" was held on Whitaker road. A dicey 2 lane with potholes and bad asphault. Then it was across town to Soncy or 45th to get it on. I had a Duster that looked like crap(it was literally poop brown) that we wore out on saturday nights.

17. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The end of Harrison in Norco, Ca. I like how most HAMB'ers hate the 80's , but street drags where still a slap on the wrist ( unless something went really BAD).

18. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

When I was a kid in Houston there were so many places to race.
    I did most of mine either at Palms Nursery, named after the parking lot of a plant store on the freeway feeder road that we raced down or There was also "Brown & Root" about a 1/2 mile stretch of 4 lane concrete road called Town Park down the backside of the Brown and Root offices.

other Notable Places "The Hole" "Rankin Road" "JC Penny" "Airport"

The Hole was the worse. It was a funky rough two lane black top road with ditches on both sides that opened up into a 4 lane dead end street. You ran from the end toward the two lane went from 4 to 2 at about 1520 ft.... Can't believe we didn't get killed on that road.

19. Karl Fields

Karl Fields

Coopers Point Road, up on the west side of Olympia, WA in the 60's.
    About 5 miles of nice, new, straight blacktop linking the golf course area to town. Nobody within miles!

20. knotheads

knotheads

the box or box factory in santa fe springs.nabisco in buena park. shoemaker in santa fe springs.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

" White Swan" long straight road that ran by the White Swan factoy.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

San Jose, 1962-'64: Behind IBM, and South 10th St. South 7th for a quick runoff, then split...Cops were watching industrial sections.

Santa Clara, 6 mi. away: De La Cruz Blvd., Trimble Rd.: Trimble was good to 110 MPH, then shutoff and get right onto sweeping on ramp for 101 to San Francisco!
    Coffin Road, (old 2-lane farm road with high crown...took nerves of steel.) Two guys were killed there while racing. (early '60s)

23. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Painted road or Blacks creek. Painted road is gone but once n while I can hear tires squealing and the sound of some import POS.. from Blacks Creek.

24. A Rodder

A Rodder

The next light. lol

Cool Thread

25. "General Plastics" back in the day ! Tacoma,Wa ( till the city put up a round about right about were the cars would leave)

26. bowtie40

bowtie40

Our favorite place was Flair Rd. in Rosemead, Ca. or just hop on the "10". The local guys in my neighborhood went to Walnut Grove Ave. where we had a quarter mile marked off. We used to call ourselves the Walnut Grove Timing Assn.

27. Up by my place on the Silverado Trail is a long straight stretch by CHimney Rock. Pops said it was called " Bartletts Raceway" named for the big ranch that was there, no all vineyards.

28. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

195 interstate between Hightstown and Jackson before it was added on. Nobody ever used it late at night .Great Dragstrip in the early 70s. Also Airport road in Highttown N.J.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here in Ridgefield you'd drive 5 minutes out Rt 35 into New York state and run at "The Hayloft". Named after the restaurant midway along the 1/2 mile straightaway, the only building in sight.

30. Satinblack

Satinblack

In the movie American Graffiti the road was called Paradise Road, but the real name is Freitas Road and thats where we went.