Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

DUDE you're killing me!! That Cadd is looking tight and I can't afford one right now. But, it is on my bucket list.

2. backroads

backroads

man that is one baddddd Betsy you guys are building

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Gary...I think we surprised a few people back there that weekend...and it was a good event...

I'll bet you're really stressing over missing Salina this year, huh...but laying on the beach in Hawaii can't be all that bad, eh...??? At least, BP hasn't polluted those beaches yet...!!!

Thanx to the rest of you that posted, I appreciate it...

R-

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Roger, I feel were at a point in our relationship where I can say something to you with the confidence you'lll be able review it in context without getting weirded out.

I just got wood.

That being said, I cannot wait to see this car somewhere somehow so I can mark my very own drool spot on it. Then, shortly after, I would like to shake your hand.

AMAZING! :D :D :D

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Bill,

I'm not weirded out...but I appreciate that compliment..and take it as such...

My bro (Dan) and I have been planning a trip back east for the last several years...I have a sister living in Massachusetts...and just last week Dan made mention of going to the Syracuse Nats, then traveling up to see my sis, stay a few days and then, in retrospect, he said: "Surely there's got to be another rod run or event we can hit the next weekend, and then we'll head for home on Monday."

With both of our cars "new," and A/C's and cruise control (for him) installed this coming winter, we just may get serious about that road trip...perhaps we'll shake hands then...

R-

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Roger, you should be a lot weirded out...Bill is just "a little different" if you know what I mean!:D

The Caddy is coming along awesome, thanks for the update and make sure you keep them coming...please!:cool:

7. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and its sunshine :D. car is looking great.I cant wait to see it all done . I am wrapping up a few things on my baby but it feels really good to have a project that you can get in it and drive.

Todd

8. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

looks really good stud! it has came a long way, the grill looks good with the surround and dig the bumpers!

9. Wow, can't wait to see all together! That is one cool Cad! Some day I want to build a mid 50's custom Cad.

10. 1931av8

1931av8

Roger:

Met your polisher, Jose, today. Saw your grille sitting there waiting for his magic touch. He said that he was going to get straight on it. Reminded him that you have a deadline in Kansas. I detected a bit of fear in his eyes and resignation in his posture as he surveyed its bulk and that monster belt-driven polisher he is forced to use. Judging by the accumulated dust, I'd say he is still working up the courage to tackle it.

But not to worry. I have some nice expanded metal stucco lathe and some 60's cabinet knobs laying around the shop. Sure we could fab up something traditional in no time. Hope you like the knobs...they are the ones cast with the little clowns holding umbrellas...

Tom

11. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Wow! What a build...can't believe I just found this!

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

That sounds awesome!!!!! If you guys need a place to crash or anything at all while near my neck of the woods, I'm on it!

You would know just how different I am, ehhh Keith???? :D

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

WOW Rog the Caddy is looking tits! That sucker is going to glow in the sun.Your going to blind people going to Salina.I will bring sun glasses,LOL.Are you guys leaving Thursday Morning?

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Rick...

Yep, leaving on Thursday morn...time yet to be determined...but I'll let you know if you feel like running with us...

R-

15. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

No pictures of it done man?? itching to get started up again on the 54

16. Did ya make the Salina show Roger?

Hope everything is going well.

Bill

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Bill, you're a bit premature...the Salina KKOA show begins on July 22...so, I'm still planning on driving the Caddy...but...here's a small update.

The light at the end of the tunnel blew out...or...someone pulled the plug...!!!

Suffered a couple of setbacks in the last few weeks...the rear bumper didn't get done...and it doesn't look like it's going to return to my place any time soon...fortunately, I had another rear bumper, so I had to use it...my bro polished it up as good as he could and I put some "chrome tape" over the typical Cadillac rusted out spots...so now it's a 50 foot bumper (looks good from 50 feet away, but don't get any closer...!!!). It's going to have to "work" until the other bumper gets done...

[​IMG]

The second, and major setback came from my old time biker/plater in Nebraska...the Dagmars are "more work than I figured"...so he sez...and they won't be chromed in time for Salina...I took them up on April 8th, figuring three months would be plenty of time...not so...and I'm really not looking forward to what those are going to cost me. So, looks like my bro and I will make a 3 hour one way trip to western Nebraska to pick them up and put them on the Cad to run "as is" (if you don't remember, I modified the Dagmars to fit closer to the stainless surround..and I really didn't want to cut up another pair I have --tooooo much work at this point)...he did tell me he got one side "ground and sanded," so looks like I'll have one semi-shiney one and one dull. That's the way it goes when you have to depend on other people...!!!

On the other hand, the grille sure came out nice...my polisher came thru for me...so at least the grille will look good...and maybe it will overshadow the Dagmars...think...???

[​IMG]

I took the Caddy over to my upholsterer on Saturday, July 3, and had the new carpet installed...it sure looks a lot better than that waaaaaaa-aaaaaaaay too loud purple I had in there. Almost thot that little deal was going to go south on Thursday as Ed, my upholstery guy, went out to pick up the needed amount. He called me and said the supply place didn't have the carpet. He'd called them three times in the last two weeks to make sure they had the carpet in stock...they told him three times they had 17 yards in stock...except, no one bothered to actually check stock... the computer said they had it. Well, Ed got all hot and told them they'd better get it in...the 4 1/2 yards we needed was sent overnight to his shop and arrived on Friday morn, at the supply place's expense...and that's the way anyone should run a business --Ed got enuff to do the trunk as well...and as you can see the, color matches much better than the old. That's the stereo laying there (gotta have my tuneage)...waiting for me to make attachment brackets...the CB is already installed and working.

[​IMG]

It took two of us 12 hours to pull the 200# stock power motored seat, rip out the old carpet and sew up the new and install it and the trunk...of course, laying new padding under the carpet took more time than actually fitting the new carpet. Panels will be made and covered to hide the unfinished part of the trunk...but that's a winter project. Ed also had to put back in the windlacing on the doors and reattach the rear of the headliner since the rear window was pulled for painting.

[​IMG]

The "new" front bumper is scheduled to arrive from the platers Wednesday (today), so I'll cross my fingers for that...then I can put the front back together...I'll let you all know how it looks.

Last but definitely not least...the engine compartment (and engine/tranny) is ready to go...I have one more thing to do and that is to put on the radiator shroud...but that's not going to take much. I now have 76 miles on the new engine...and will have close to 100 by the time I take it to the glass shop and get it back home. I think next weekend I'll be able to put some miles on it...we're planning to attend a couple of local shows.

[​IMG]

Thursday, the Cad will be taken to the glass shop...the new windshield, in the huge box, will leave my garage for good to be installed on the Caddy...all the tinted side glass has been cut and is waiting. The window power motors all work fine, like they are supposed to...and I really lucked out remembering how they fit.

[​IMG]

I've got a bunch of minor things to take care of yet and/or install...but all of those are just that --minor...and they'll get done in the course of the other work and my bro is a great help with all of that.

Right now, with new lightbulb in hand, I've got to go find the light, get the bulb changed or put the plug back into the electrical socket to get the light at the end of the tunnel turned back on...I've still got a ways to go, I need to keep working on the car...I should make Salina, the Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise...See you there...???

R-

18. My-bad on Salina:eek:

It sure sux to rely on others and then have them drop the ball. Three months does seem like it would be enough time to do the bumpers!!

The rest of it is looking great!! Does that say "Cadliner" on the aircleaner? Love that lettering!!

Hope you can get that light fixed....

Good luck!!

Bill

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No Bill, but you're close...my Caddy is named "Roadliner"...cuz it is...and once all the work gets done, I'm going to have that name airbrushed on the sides, above the chrome trim, in a style that looks like the original chrome emblem.

R-

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  20. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

that car is so delicious!!!

21. Nice. That will look great, folks who know will have to take a second look, those who don't will just think its another Cad model!!

Bill

22. That may be the best description yet!!

Bill

23. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Lookin good. Sorry to hear about the set backs but that seems to be how it always works, at least for me it never works right. Can't wait to see the Caddy in Salina no matter what. My Ranchero is now miles behind and I am not sure if it will make it or not so don't feel like the lone ranger.

24. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Looking good Roger...
    bummer bout the bumper, hey, when your done with that light,, can I use it to light the end of my tunel ?........if it still lite. :D
    Roach

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Johnny, ain't no bout adoubt it...no build ever goes perfectly, no matter how much planning days/weeks/months ahead it gets planned...the big problem is the companys you/me/everyone else depend on to get something done simply don't share the investment of time you (I) personally have in the project.

Mikey, you can borrow my light to light your own personal tunnel (that sounds strange, doesn't it...???), but I don't think the cord is long enuff to reach your place....!!!

R-

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  26. Roger,

The list is getting down to the details, since last year.

See you in KS

27. brandoni

brandoni

Fantastic build! I can't wait to see it finished.

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whao! Very kool! That grill shines like glass. I kan't wait to see the Caddy the end
    of the month. Too bad ya didn't get the Bumper done. If ya got it done I might have
    let ya park with the Mercs.....LOL!!

Good luck gett'n it put back together and I'll be praying for ya a safe trip.

Happy Trails,

Mick

29. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You'll make it no problem Roger, I have faith!!!! Lookin good!

30. Dang Roger it looks like you just keep plugging along on your build. I really hope you make salina. Bummer about chrome. The energizer bunny better look over his shoulder as you are making a trail. I REEEEALY need to see it when finished for a kick in the arse to get my new project up to your level.