Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. POPSTAGE2

POPSTAGE2
    from Wisconsin

Oh yea...there're very heavy. I was surprised they even ran them! And is probably why they switched to Cragars in '72,sh. (I have the Cragars also)

The V.P. of Motor Wheels, and also the designer of the Spyders gave those wheels to Jim Bell...(they were also used on some other cars out of his camp.)

Joe Guzak (the designer/vp) was and still is very good friends with Denny Manner the head engineer at Buick's engine development and aslo the guy heading up the stage1 and stage2 programs. Denny sent the complete prototype Stage2 package to Reynolds for testing purposes on this car.
    Joe sent the wheels out to promote them. So there's the connection...

Joe even sighned one of my restored wheels:cool:
    Most old pics of the car were with these on and I think it "dates" the car, so on these went!

2. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

MickeyMouse,
    Your assumptions are correct.
    In 1969, the AMX 390/315HP ran in F/S with 68'/69' 340 Cuda's and Darts.
    Also in SS/J for 1969. Then later they competed in SS/I.
    In 1970, I believe they were class in G/S or SS/I.

Those 69' 350/255HP Nova's were in J/S, and I think the 350/295HP Nova's
    were in H/S. And, I think the 69' convertible Camaro's 350/255HP ran in K/S.
    PC

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

It could be but it sure looks like the area that runs parallel to the pit entrance road on into the pits at Raceway Park. Only Joel Naprstek knows for sure.

Joel, you out there?

Pete

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Paul,

Until you mentioned it, I didn't know they made any! I guess they fit in "B" stock then. I doubt very much it was a home-built car. Back then 99% of the cars run in Stock and Super Stock were legit, numbers-matching, factory produced originals. Rare, low production model? What's that? :)

That "poor man's Mustang" must've been super light to run in B/S!

Pete

5. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks, I never knew that.

Pete

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Presumably this is a Junior Stocker? I don't know the driver but I do remember in the 1970s there
    was a funny car campaigned out of this shop and driven by Dick Titsworth. Same guy here?

Pete

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Here's one for you, Paul:

[​IMG]

All I can tell you about it is: it's 440-powered! :)

Pete

8. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this li'l Scrambler IS cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks Bill.

Pete

P.S. Where ya been hiding? :)

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

This one's for you, Verne:

[​IMG]

Pete

11. STILL OLD

STILL OLD
    from tennessee

does anyone have a picture of Stan Haggard's '63 ford Custom 300 Ford. It ran SS/B out of Warner Ford, in Loveland, Oh.

Thanks,
    Buzz

12. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

That is classic!:cool:

13. Some fresh pics of the In-Bomber taken in September 1969 at a NHRA event (Indy Nationals??). The red car lined up against the In-Bomber has been posted here before I'm sure, looks to have a large "T" on the door. The last pic is with the Tension car, and was taken at the 1969 NHRA Winternationals.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

61Cruiser likes this.
  14. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

did some searching locally for doug and have come up empty??? still looking!

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    Those little 65' Falcon 2-door sedans weighed in at 2730 lbs. 'soaking wet'.
    B/S in 65', and C/S in 66' with the 289/271HP Hi-Po. Was not a K-Code, but a
    special order #992. Canada-only cars.
    In 1966, set-up properly, they could outrun the 66' Mercury Cyclone GT 390/335HP
    cars.
    NHRA only recognized those cars at certain tracks. Lots of 289/200HP 2-barrels out there with the 3-speed on the column. Saw a few guys do the motor conversion, but left the 3-speed transmission in place, just swapped in a Hurst shifter. W bit fun to watch.
    With that combo, engine peaked to early, but fun to watch.
    PC

16. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    Nice 67' GTX 440 (bone-white). D/SA, looks like 1968 at Indy.
    Was a Miller Garage (performance shop) out of Middlebury, Indiana.
    Nice car in the back-ground. 62' Dodge (baby-blue). If thats in D/SA with the 383/343HP dual-quad, then its 1968.
    If it was Indy 1968, I missed it. Diana Ross and the Supremes were performing on the
    Ed Sullivan Show.
    HA! HA!
    PC

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    61Cruiser likes this.
  17. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I was there.....Slept in the back seat of my 68 Z-28 for 5 nights at a near by camp ground and ate hot dogs for din din.....UGH ! It was still better than the bunker in the Nam. I took leave from Ft. Knox Ky. to watch and loved it when Larry Lombardo won stock. The world and Indy was something different back then.

18. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I heard from Doug a couple months back. His operation went better then he expected and he seemed in great spirits.
    PM me Tom if you're looking to reach him.

Doug

19. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

X-Tech,
    F/Stock at Indy in 68'. That class alone was a war.
    Heard a certain factory backed racer in a 68' Dodge Coronet 383 in F/Stock, couldn't beat anyone with his car. Took it back to the motel, put it in reverse and drove it for
    about a 1/8 mile floored, going backwards along the road. It snapped the camshaft. Happily gave it back to the factory. His story, 383's won't win in F/Stock, and the Road Runners and Super Bee's won't win in E/Stock either.
    PC,,,,,,I think he was correct sir.

20. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Its Tom Wilford .....:D:D:D

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Give that man a cigar! :)

Thanks for the I.D.

Pete

P.S. Any idea if this was a Super Duty Poncho?

22. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I've had that pic from Joel for some time now. He told me a lot about the history of that car. It's funny, but I believe that it still exists and shows up at "some" cruises in NJ every once in a while. It's on my radar. I'd love to "claim" it and bring it back just as raced. But there are are others who are on it's trail too and I may not be the luckey one to bring it back as it should be.
    Verne:cool:

23. Alaskam5

Alaskam5
    from Alaska

Dick Smith, Somerset NJ. I believe it started life as a 383 car, then went to 440 Six-pack. Never really ran up to expectations but I know there was at least one Indy Class Win.

24. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Eddie O,
    The 68' Coronet 500 cars had 383's with 330HP, and they fell into F/S.
    The Road Runners and Super Bee's had 383/335HP engines, and they fell into
    E/S.
    The major difference between the engines, the 335HP (Road Runner/Super Bee)
    engines came through with the 440 camshaft (higher lift) and 440 exhaust
    manifolds. Otherwise, the carb, heads and short-block were the same.

The blue Coronet 500 w/Keystones at Indy ran 13.30's, with a factory-backed driver, about a 1/2 second slower than Larry Lombardo's 61' Vette with a 283/270HP dual-quad.
    After the camshaft was 'toasted' at the motel by the factory-driver, it was sold.
    It was sponsored by, I think, the Cincinnati and Hamilton County Dodge Dealers.
    They bought the car for $2700, and the factory supplied a new fully-prepped 383 for F/S.
    It was supposed to have run 12.90's in 1968.
    In 1969, they decided to sell the car, but no one was interested. It ended up in the back lot at one of the dealerships. They ended up pulling the engine, trans and race components out of the car, and sold them to re-coup part of their investment.
    No history on the car itself. Probably got trashed or stripped like a spare-rib!
    pc
    PC

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  25. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

The 1968 Super/Stock Magazine Nationals were held at New York National Speedway, in Center Moriches, Long Island, at the end of July.
    I'm not sure, but didn't Carmine Rotunda win that with a 61' Vette also.
    pc

26. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

colesy,
    That must be from your pre-70' attic collection photo's.
    I noticed on the Vette, 65'/66' Springnationals and '65/66'/67' Indy Nationals, and on roof 67' C/S National Record Holder.
    In 68', was that car classed in F/S, then in G/S in 69'?
    Why does that car look familiar..
    PC

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

.....'69 el camino in the background, along with the jenkins-strickler rig

28. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i just came across this and wanted to post on this. i believe i have the car carrier that is on the pic of 57.
    my dad found it in cost mesa and had pursued after it for years cause he wanted the 427 that was in it. . at the time we knew nothing the owner or his racing history. my dad ended up junking the cab cause it was so badly rusted, and he took the 427 and put it in his 67 vette that we were building.
    we save the doors and the front clip. man if this was the same owner i feel bad for junking the cab. it would of been nice to restore it now. i am in the process of installing a 51 ford coe on the chassi and using the ramp bed with it. here is a pic of the bed and chassi. if any body has more info on it or some pics i would love to see them please. by the way the dad told us there was a 57 in the garage the belonged to his son also but he never would let us look at it. i wonder if it was the same one and if its still there?

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1009982&d=1277264518

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  29. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

1967 GS 400 ...the new 400 Buick block replaced the nailhead for 67.....not too many of these running back in the day...anyone know of this car?

Attached Files:

30. running bear

running bear

hears a pic of my dodge,,, would you beleave they won't let me run nos super stock,,, it's a small block mopar car,, i guess i need to do a modern paint job,, rip out the interior,,, tub it out and put nos on it then they will let me run,,,

Attached Files:

61Cruiser likes this.