Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual chamber master cylinder conversion questions???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

I've got a '41 Buick coupe, and the single chamber master cylinder is mounted with two bolts running lengthwise under the mc attaching to the frame with the brake line exiting the front of the mc. I'm trying to figure out the best way to convert to a dual chamber. I can make a bracket to mount a firewall-style mc where the stock one sits (there's a lot of room around it), but the ports need to exit out the inboard side of the mc, and most exit out of the outboard side, which would run into the frame. So here are my questions:

Does anyone know of a drum/drum dual chamber master cylinder (any mounting style) with the ports that exit on the inboard side? Or a dual chamber with the ports exiting the front?

I found one set up that could work because it has ports on both sides
    http://www.rjays.com/Brakes/street-rod-pedals-01.htm
    but I'm not familiar with corvette master cylinders...are they all disc/drum, or does it vary?

Help or advice is appreciated - thanks.
    Curt

2. call the guys in the link you supplied and ask, looks like disc m/c to me.

3. So does the brake pedal hang under the dash? Of under the floor?

If it is under the floor, any master cylinder should work. If memory serves, the master cylinder faces "backward" as compared to the ones mounted on the firewall. Which puts the outlets toward the inside of the car.

4. wolfepak47

wolfepak47
    from Delta Ohio

Mustangs from the sixties used drum/drum master cylinders. I used one under the floor of my A roadster with a Pete and Jakes pedal set up. The m/c points backward so the outlets are on the inboard side. My m/c was sourced from a mustang parts dealer I found on line. It was rebuilt and wasn't expensive. I don't remember the name, but you could try Mustangs Unlimited.

5. wolfepak47

wolfepak47
    from Delta Ohio

Mustangs from the sixties used drum/drum master cylinders. I used one under the floor of my A roadster with a Pete and Jakes pedal set up. The m/c points backward so the outlets are on the inboard side. My m/c was sourced from a mustang parts dealer I found on line. It was rebuilt and wasn't expensive. I don't remember the name, but you could try Mustangs Unlimited.

6. weim55

weim55

Yes. AAFD here on the HAMB board turned me on to this NAPA 36237 master cylinder. It's for 70s CJ DJ Jeeps. That port on the bottom is for the brake light switch. It was perfect for my '60 buick conversion.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Attached Files:

7. thanks for sharing, great info!:d:d

8. jrsiron

jrsiron

The corvette with ports on both sides is typically for disc. Usually does not work well with drum brakes,

9. Curt Six

Curt Six

Awesome - this is exactly what I needed!

From what I described, was it a similar stock set up in your '60 (frame mounted master, forward of the firewall, etc.?) Just wondering...thanks again for the input.
    Curt

10. The jeep one is a good choice. I've used different makes and models with sucess, but I do the math. "Disc" and "Drum" really aren't the proper terms.Make sure you have the proper cylinder diameter for pressure and enough volume of fluid coming out of the master cylinder to actuate wheel cylinders fully. What the donor vehicle was is less important the those two things. Usually if the donor car is drum/drum you'll be safe provided the master cylinder piston bore diameter is the same or SLIGHTLY smaller. Too much smaller and you won't have the aforementioned volume of fluid.

keep it safe and good luck!

11. weim55

weim55

Curt,

My '60 is a typical firewall mount from the era. The problem was the car is a factory 3 speed stick and the clutch linkage comes out of the firewall right next to the master on the left side. Only a right side outlet master would work for the lines to clear.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Attached Files: