Register now to get rid of these ads!

Props to napa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotsmerc64, Jun 22, 2010.

1. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Well said. I've had good luck with Napa in general. The counter people will generally look in the printed catalog because Hudson is never on the PC. The other stores ask "Is that Ford or Chevy?". I've bought motor mounts, fuel pump, master cyclinder kits, wheels cylinders etc for my Hudson from them recently. If they don't stock it, they will have it in about 3 days. A little more expensive but you get what you pay for. They also let me dig around their bins from time to time to match parts up...

Support the good stores or they will dry up as the demand decreases...

2. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I don't care who's name is on the front of the building, a good counterperson can make , or break your day.
    I you find an extra-mile kind-of guy, let his/her boss know.
    Thank you cards, e-mails, whatever, something in writing. It just may get that person the raise they need to stay in that business.

3. TOWMAN

TOWMAN

hank you will never start a new thread!!!!!!!! hahaa

4. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I can't complain about my local NAPA store as they have been good to me plus they gave me a job about 5 years ago and help me out by sponcering my Front motor dragster.

5. rat seeker

rat seeker

My local Napa is the best, just finished my 52 chevy and used only them

6. Ob1

Ob1

i just wish the parts stores wouldnt simply ignore parts. For instance, I want a turn signal switch for my '63 2 ton Chevy chassis Grumman.

Now, every damn store carries the turn sign cancel cam, calling it a "repair kit". And that is what they try to sell me. Not a wire or contact in it, just a hunk of plastic.

"They" know the switch is there. "They" simply choose to ignore it.

Looks like I will end up buying a JC Whitney switch, identified by sight, intended for a Jeep {Chevy column}

7. lurch423

lurch423

i always go to napa im a parts man by trade eventho i work at a dealership now ive worked at a speedshop and a speed parts wholesale wharehouse ive know the guys at the napa in kingsport tn for many years they all been parts men for years some of them way before my time i like going there i needed to match hose for my anglia so the just pointed to the hoses and gave me a tape messure i really owe them because ive had to match and make about everything work they know i got some odd prodjects but there more then willing to help and always ask hows the car coming along and ive even had proiblms that they helped me on its not everyday you can find help and knolagable people the mom and pops stores here are long gone so im glad the guys at the local napa actualy understand cars

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  8. gtkane

gtkane

My local NAPA store is AWESOME!
    Terry and the boys will go out of their way to get you what you need every time, wether it is ordering it from across the street or from the US...and they have been known to eat the shipping just to get your business!
    I will always do business with them for all my parts needs....and I work for a GM dealer.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

My local NAPA is good, there are a coupe of "car guys" working there and they don't mind getting the books out and finding something for you.

10. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

In the 80s I went to a little old part store in South Jersey for a brake light switch for my '61 Electra and they didn't go back that far. The older gentleman who owned the place sold me one for an '80 Jeep and it worked perfectly. I really miss places like that. The building is a church now. God, help us.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

Same here. I mis the NAPA that usesd to be in Longview. Its a computer store now, like we need another one of those.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  12. Best deal in town is having a NAPA store with a Street Rodder for a Manager. I've put them to a number of tests lately and they have come through with flying colors. You might pay a little more but you get the right parts the first time and better quality.

13. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

Im glad your NAPA is good becuase everytime I go into mine they always give me ther wrong parts, and our O' Reilys If the computer cant tell them they have no idea what to do

14. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I work for the local Napa store as a Saturday driver--need some car money! It amazes me how much they stock--mostly new car stuff,but they always find the weird stuff I need for my projects.The stores are independantly owned, but "The Corp" calls lots of shots: stocking levels, what specials to run, even what shops get better discounts.That part of it sucks, because a bunch of suits 1,000's of miles away "know" you're situation better than you.
    Cruise around in a Chevy POS, Saturday at the beach = women, and parts at 10% over--not too bad ,all things considered today.

15. Most inner city NAPAs are company owned and yes they pursue the shop dollars first and the walk in second, sad but true. And most hire young folks for wage reasons and most really good counter people graduate to the dealer ranks where the pay scale tends to be better. We are an independant NAPA "jobber" store on the outskirts of OKC and mainly cater to the industrial and walk in trade and we love it. My shortest time employee has been here 2 1/2 years, we try to pay decent wages for the right help and encourage them to learn from the customer base knowledge as a good day is learning. A lot of the older jobber stores still have old school hours but we have increased ours to stay with the customer needs as much as possible. I have worked at stores all over the OKC area and will say this, I have more Hot Rod customers at this store then any other I have worked except for my stint at Parr Automotive back in the 80's. We enjoy helping the guys with thier projects as it is boring looking up filters for a 2010 Truckster Wagon day in long! :D And we fill NOS bottles and make hoses, battery cables, etc.

I think the bottom line is an old adage I heard from one of my mentors " People buy from people" in other words a one on one relationship within the community.

And last but not least, another learned from a mentor, Slim Wallar told me 30 + years ago when going to work in his store "Son, three things I don't want you to voice oppinion on, religion, politics and motor oil, as these are the things to advoid conversation about, least you start a fight!"

16. No, not all NAPA auto parts stores are independently owned..a lot of them are company owned stores (particularily in the major population areas). Some of the previousiously independent jobber stores, are having to sell out, as it is hard for the independents to survive in the very competitive market.

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Huge fan of my local NAPA. They always, ALWAYS have what I am needing.

18. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

NAPA is the best for old parts here but you do pay more. If its not in stock they can get it in a couple of days. The big NAPA one town over is great but my small town one needs some help.