Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi in a Model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tahern, Jun 21, 2010.

1. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I finally made up my mind on the engine for my 31 A, HEMI why not, I just didn't want to do the small block thing again. Now the questions begin. I would love to see some pics of other model a's with this set up and any problems you have ran into. Anyone running a full hood? best mount setup? firewall? Would love your input.I would love to make 400+ horse naturally aspirated, any suggestions? I'm not sure of the trans yet, it's a 331 from a 54 chrysler, I'm running a quickchange in the ass. would appreciate input thanks Terry

2. '52mildkustom

'52mildkustom
    from Forney Tx.

cool choice. sure will be sweet once its runnin. MOPARS forever!

3. D Staig

D Staig

Check out Bass' coupe, Jimmy Whites coupe, Mr Fords coupe...there's plenty of A coupes with various hemis...

You'll most likely need blisters in the hood to clear the cylinder heads.

4. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Here is mine...'30 A with '52 Chrysler 331. Front mounts are Hurst, bolt in no welding. Original '32 frame and I used a '36 X member since I am using Ford early three speed. Reveresed the fire wall and no problem with space inside, just took out the package shelf out and slid the seat back. Radiator is in stock '32 location. I used a remote oil filter rather than notch my frame rail for the original one.
    Good luck with your build, let me know if you want any photos or more info...
    [​IMG]

5. concreteman

concreteman

Tight but it fits
    [​IMG]

6. 73RR

73RR

There is plenty of Hemi info here on the Hamb. And if you have questions just ask.

7. 41 C28

41 C28

I'll be watching this thread as I've got a 331 hemi lined up for my A roadster.
    I'll be asking a lot of questions too.

8. I've got a 392 HEMI block and heads on the stand at home.

My 'rod has the ye 'ole standby 350 sbc (albiet a powerful one) w/350 turbo tranny...

...but me thinks the 392 would be well at home in it. :D

9. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I would love to find someone who is pushing 400+ hp natural anyone?

10. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Hey concreteman, is that still the factory firewall?

11. What size is your hemi? 400 hp out of a 354 or 392 is not hard to do. A little tougher from a Dodge 241 ;)

12. sorry, just read it again, a 331. Lot's of breathing available, 400 hp is not that much of a stretch, especially if you bore it to 354.

13. 73RR

73RR

With proper cam, intake, compression and ignition the 331 will do the job.
    With all else equal I doubt that the extra 23 inches would provide an major edge.

14. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

This is sat on a bench in my buddies shop, and I covet it, but he won't let me have it. :(

Can't remember exactly what model it is now, as I haven't been round there for a while, but it is a thing of beauty, massive, solid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ^built in bell housing 331 '51-'53

16. 331 extended block, keyboard shorted out from drool :)

17. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

Man, I have to stop screwing around with Flat Heads and pull the 331 out of the woods behind my parents house. I would not have to answer any more questions from dumb hicks about my engine choice. Plus hearing "It's got a HEMI!!" and "'ya know that's 600hp." could never get old.. My favorite thing to do is listen to one guy who has no clue tell another guy who has no clue everything about my car.

Vanness likes this.
  18. ^ha....yeah everybody thinks they know what a hemi is. The lady in the new dodge truck across from me has a hemi and she brags about it often....but likely has no clue other than it was an expensive engine option at the dealership.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One day I'll finish this damn thing...

[​IMG]

If you want more info on Hemis, click on the "Hemi Tech" banner/picture in my signature line. All the great Hemi minds of the HAMB have come together to fill out an intuitive series of threads, including quite a few examples of Model A's with Hemis.

And yes! There are a LOT of people pushing Early Hemis over the 400 mark, naturally aspirated. All it takes is money.

Tim likes this.
  20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My absolute personal favorite is Jimmy White's coupe... If you haven't seen this, make sure you're wearing a diaper.

My buddy Maurice shot this in like 2003 or 2004. Still watch it once a month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAW3oV8tw8

21. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

someone had to dyno there 331 and get 400+ hp, what ya got in it? and how far can I bore a 331 safely? I checked the hemi thread man lots of info

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Early Hemis R-U-L-E.....do it!!!!!!

[​IMG]

23. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Damnit, now I want a Hemi.

24. kustom77

kustom77

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+.120" (in theory), is the max you could safely go. HOWEVER! I HAVE heard of people going further. No telling where those engines are today and what's being done with them. A sonic test will tell you what YOUR options are. Know someone that went without a sonic check and has a totally animal of an engine bored way out, but it's ALWAYS a good idea to see what the core-shift of your block is.

This topic has been covered serveral times. Poke around the tech threads, and do some searches, and you will see the threads come up.

You don't have to have bore it to it's limits to make good performance. These are not anything like wedge head motors. Just something to think about... Grab a comfy chair and browse the Hemi threads. There are a few books mentioned as well, that you should pick up.

And like Jeff said... DO IT!

26. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I have heard you can put 354 slugs in a 331, I checked the hemi thread but wanted to see if there was anyone who did it and how did it turn out?

27. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

God Damn It!!! Why?!! Why did you have to post the Jimmy White thing? You know... some of us are addicts, we can't watch this kind of stuff and think and act properly afterwards,we are like a freakin junkie... oooo...oooo... speed ooooo.... oooo. got to go fast, and that, well my friends... that was just pure crystalline shit there... oh yeah melt in your mouth.. gotta have it.. son of a ... pushed the god damn price of a Hemi up by 50 % thats what that did..... Thanks a lot... no really .... thanks a lot.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy's car is punched out with 354 slugs (3.94" or 4.00") dropped in. Proof right there it can be done. It's not uncommon. Check out some of the threads related to this topic and you'll see the pros and cons.

Haha! Sorry man! If I have to drool than I may as well make everyone else miserable as well! :D:D Saw the car yesterday and today sitting in his shop. It's the most hypnotic machine I've ever laid eyes on. Maybe it's just because we all know what it's capable of. Or maybe it's just because it sounds incredible. Or maybe it's because... screw it! The car kicks ass in every way!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way... Was this incorporated with your "Oooo Face"? :D LOL

30. jagster

jagster

Those massive heads make a lot of people take a second look, and I have had my share of these monsters. My big swap was a 33l in a 54 Jag XK-120. The old engine was tired, and I really wanted a little more power. So, with much cussing, three u-joints for the steering, and a cad/lasalle three speed, in she went, block and tranny.
    Came time to put the heads on after hacking out the inner fenderwells. If you know the old Jags, the front engine opening is small and narrows toward the front. I had the head in my hands, bent over to put one on and went into the engine bay headfirst. Those damn heads must weigh a hundred pounds. And yes, at the drive-in, everyone had to see that engine stuffed in there. I still have two Hemi engines and don't have any plans for them. They don't eat much just sitting there......