Register now to get rid of these ads!

1967 Ranchero rear end ratio???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldCarPilot, Jun 22, 2010.

1. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Trying to find this so I can get my speedo to work.

Thanks!

2. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Still have the tag on the diff? Need more info. If the tag is gone from the differential it might have been changed. Could check the door tag as well

3. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

No tag on it. It's under my 53 chevy truck right now. I don't know really anything about it other than it is from a 67 Ranchero. Seemed like 1 wheel turn moved the drive shaft about 2.25. But that doesn't seem right to me.

4. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Actually seemed closer to 3 turns. (just re-did it) I'm thinking 3.00:1.

5. F&J

F&J

For a non-posi, keep one wheel on the ground, then turn the other wheel exactly 2 tuns while counting driveshaft revolutions.

Make chalk marks on tire and driveshaft to get it accurate.

example: 3 turns exactly would be a 3.00 to 1

6. Flathead Fever

Flathead Fever
    from CA

If you want to try a high tech approach to find out how far off your speedometer is get an onboard navigation system. It should tell you within a tenth of a m.p.h. how fast you are going. These things are super accurate. I’m guessing with the vehicle speed from the GPS unit, your engine rpm and your tire diameter you should be able to come up with a rear gear ratio. The old school way was to mark the tire and drive shaft with chalk and count the driveshaft revolutions, it sounds like you have already done this. Ford rearends usually have a metal tag on one of the carrier bolts, it will be stamped 3.00 or 3.25 ect. I have a '66 Ford Mustang, Falcon and Fairlane shop manual, they probably offered the same gears in the '67 Ranchero. They list a 2.80, 2.83, 3.00, 3.20, 3.25, 3.50 and 3.89:1
    Jerry