Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good Weekend, Local Cruise Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Jun 21, 2010.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Every town had/has one. The main drag, the loop, the strip, the place to see and be seen. In our town of Enid Oklahoma it was "dragging Van Buren" (81 Highway). Start at the south end at what was then Wallace Shopping Center, head north with a loop around the A&W (sadly no longer there) on north past the overpass turn and head south again. Burgers at Sandy's, or Vans both now just memories.

Well because of a chance coversation on Facebook by someone in the Tulsa area, for one weekend it all came alive again. Muscle cars cruised next to soccer moms in minivans, restored stockers and pro street cars shared the road, and even a few hot rods came out to play. It was a great time, everyone enjoyed and behaved themselves so plans are on for next year. Well over a thousand folks registered and many I am sure didn't.

$4 gas and restrictive curfew and loitering laws all but ended this tradition but for this weekend law enforcement was on board so a tip of the hat to them.

Not much board freindly to show but I will post a few shots.

The blue '57 is a buddy of mine. The car has an amazing history which includes having a garage burn down around it.

The '55 is Doug's friend and hasn't been out of the garage in years. Ex drag car, used to run a tunnelrammed 265, 4spd, Pontiac rear. Now has a 327 4spd and '57 Chevy posi. The 265 race motor is still mothballed in the garage. Note the four squares cut out of the grill to facilitate cam removal.

Hope it's an annual event.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Sounds like you had fun G!

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Sure did Trent. This was about the people and memories more than the cars, but it brought a lot of old iron out that doesn't get driven much.

4. And thats how it should be.

5. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

$4 gas? That hurts. Payin $2.60 in AZ

6. 6mopar7

6mopar7

Thanks for sharing the info & pics.

Several small town nearby have great crusie-ins each month through Oct. Last Sat (3rd Sat of the month) in Fort Oglethorpe, GA & next Saturday (the 4th Sat) is Cleveland, TN's around the old courthouse. The towns block off a few blocks & hundrerds of old cars show up each month. Large numbers of visitors come & enjoy the hotrods. The one in Cleveland often has 600+ show up.
    I need to get a digital camera & post a few pics.

John :D