Register now to get rid of these ads!

death wobble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by long island vic, Jun 20, 2010.

1. long island vic

long island vic

first ride was almost the last...2x4 rail car, speedway 6 in drop tube , 4 bar, corvair box just redone, so its tight......had 10 degrees back with no shocks...then put in shocks 10 degrees cambered and about 5 back....got caster too 3 degrees...same game...it has a panard bar......some say more some say less i dont want too raddle everything apart.....everything is new and tight the four bars are troyer and its all borgenson..im open to anything too make it safe enough to puts the kids in

2. are you talking about wobble that comes up through the steering wheel and feels like the tires are trying to steer back and forth?

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

3 degrees isn't enough. Dial in at least 5 to 6. I like 8.

Also, take note if it has an oscillation. That means loose parts.

4. Front tire problem! Borrow some front tire assemblies from a know good driving car, or just switch them out. That way, problem can be pin pointed as bad front tires. This has been covered before. Out of round tires, tires that won't balance properly, or tires that have flat spots (from setting in one spot too long).

5. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

x2- i agree good place to start

7. long island vic

long island vic

tires and rims are good no out of round..had them on another ride all parts are new and tight its not in the column...just haywire out front...rims are 14 firebird disc

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

6" drop axle and 14" wheels? sounds like a scrubline violation.

Add more kingpin angle, like Scotty says, 6-7 degrees, check toe in too.

9. jason12872

jason12872

I had the same problem on my truck, it ended up being worn spindles.

10. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  11. You didn't say what your toe in was set at.....should be 1/8" in I think. Definately check wheels & tires.....

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vic...I have to point out that you asked the question, then discounted a couple of the guys' suggestions about the wheels/tires. If you did a search on this subject, you'd find that this mystifying condition has been hashed out on a number of different threads, just as ProtoTypeDesignFlauz said. Hours of reading there. Many suggested a steering-dampener, but if everything is good it shouldn't be needed. Others suggested more or less caster, but that doesn't seem to induce "death-wobble". Some have noticed toe-in to be a factor. But out of all those threads, almost all of them were traced back to wheels/tires being out of balance or out of round or having too much runout. Proto even told you the easiest way to verify...borrow another set of wheels/tires and try them. For your own good, do that. Then move on to other possible problems if you have to. I have to agree with Borntoloze...a wheel/tire combo seem to manifest problems more readily on solid axle as opposed to independant suspension. Good luck.

13. i had bad tires that caused this problem. i read a post on fordbarn.com about switching sides with the front tires, and it worked. i got rid of the tires for new ones and never had the problem again.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Another thing to keep in mind is after you've exhausted all possibilities try a steering dampener. All of this has been covered a dozen time or more and in the end a lot of problems have gone away with the installation of the dampener. Millions of VW's came off the assembly line with a dampener and the one used by Socal and others is a copy of that unit.

Frank

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You said you have a panhard bar, I assume on the front the way you stated it. Do you have one on the back?? You state it is a four-link rear, what's keeping that centered?? Sounds like the suspension is shaking side to side from something. The Caster does need to be set to 8 degrees also, any less will cause high speed instability.

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

How much are your wheels toed in, or out for that matter?