Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your '50's - '60's high school rides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Jun 17, 2010.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I don't know why - maybe because last year was my 40th high school reunion, and got my school box (same age as me), but I would like to see your ride from 1950 to 1969 - sorry kids - this is for grown-ups. I think every class in 1969 it was said that things was going to be different from then on, and they were right things "changed" in the 70's. So let's see what you drove every day to high school and took Betty Lou to the prom from 1950 t0 1969.

2. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I graduated 1961 ,,Marshalltown,Iowa ,,this was my daily driver / go to school car in '59-'60 & '61 ,,a '51 'Vickie Deluxe ,frenched head n tail lites ,,noesd n decked,,painted '57 Caddy Alpine White ,( a blue tint around the edges in the sunlite ) ,,Three Speed O D W' a Flathead w' a milled head ,,mild cam (3/4 Race ) ,,dual Stromberg 97's ,,hedders and Mallory dual point ,,after this pic was taken ,,it got lowered into the weeds ,,louvered hood ,,dummy Appleton Spots ,,and shaved door handles ,,in '59 Ed Roth gave me the name for it ,,"Ticket Bait" which i painted on the car ,and the cartoon he gave me on the glove box door ,,
    pic taken in front of my folks' house in winter of '59/'60 ,,
    Wish i had it back now ,,
    [​IMG]

3. teddyp

teddyp

got the 57 conv. when i was 14 yrs old 2nd year in high school got the 55 last year in school when i was 17yrs old the 57 was pretty beat up when i got it was yellow and a race car i work in a body shop after school and they help me frist to when it was black and then a custom when it was blue the 55 was frist a 6 -stick with a sears rebuilt motor i ran it in n stock then a v-8 stick 283-270 hp 3 speed both fun cars i wish i still had

Attached Files:

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was my high school car. A mild '54 Ford that I fixed up, modified and drove from '62 to '64, the year I graduated. Many good memories!!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. imnezrider

imnezrider

1950 and 1954....

Attached Files:

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Boy, these are some great cars and stories. I thought we would have about a hundred by now - where are they??

7. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

8. Wow, wish I could have attended high school back then!

9. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

No pictures, but mine was a 1951 Ford two door custom, black, nosed and decked, 239 flathead and OD.

Bought the car for $40 when I was 15 from a neighbor. It was a rust bucket and had a six cylinder and a tooth missing off of first gear (clank....clank....clank....clank....shift). I rebuilt the engine, replaced the tranny, redid the interior and filled or replaced all the rust and repainted, black.

Finally drove the car after I turned 17. Threw a rod in the six and swapped in a stock V8 that my dad and I rebuilt with a kit from Sears.

Miss the car, but I don't miss vapor locking anytime it was over 30 degrees.

Graduated in 1967, drove the '51 until I fell in love with a '60 Thunderbird with factory OD and a Lincoln suspension in 1969.

10. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

Propwash's avatar could be a picture of my '51, right down to the couple standing in front of it.

11. RDR

RDR

graduated '62...highschool car 59-63...'49 Fleetline,Gold,mild custom....nosed,bullnose strip,decked, hooded truck clearance lights mounted behind holes in lower trunk panel.Tijuana upholstery,black wheels...lost a rod in 216 in 1961...put in 303 Olds; Cad 3spd; Merc rearend..later radiused the rear wheelwells and reversed the rear wheels.....raced C/Gas but as a daily driver was way outclassed...just after selling it Modified Production came into effect and would have fit real good in that class...Oh well, she was always THE ONE I kicked myself for selling:(

Attached Files:

12. Angliaman

Angliaman
    from Forney, Tx

Bought this in 67, drove it and the 56 in the avatar till I made it out in 70! Still have both.

Attached Files:

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my High School ride--circa 1959--57 Pontiac--ran it at Madera and Raisin City later

Attached Files:

14. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

This is a great thread! Am not computer literate enough apparently to post a photo, but picture a B5 blue 70 Roadrunner w/a white vinyl top, Keystone's version of Cragar S/S wheels and a big chrome tach on the dash...[​IMG]

apparently i'm not just plain literate either. didnt read the intro close enough; obviously i graduated after 1969.... sorry!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  15. '52 Victoria, flathead, 3 spd, lakes, nosed and decked

Attached Files:

16. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

some of us didnt own a set of wheels in high school. graduated 1955. first car was a 50 merc 4 door in 1957.

17. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

I drove a '48 Chevy Fleetmaster. Picked up for $25. because the guy I was buying it from broke an axle shown' off. He thought he blew the trans and I said I'd take any way for $25, he actually wanted $50. Then my brother bought a '47 Chevy Stylemaster from our neighbor across the street for $15. He said it hadn't been run in a while. My Dad went over and fooled around with it and it fired right up. This was in '65. Later in the year my Dad helped me buy a '62 Chev Impala SS 2 door hardtop, 327 all stock of course, champane/white, red buckets, console with auto on the floor. My Dad said "As long as I'm helping you pay for this no hotrodding this thing". The after High School, I went into the military, when I got home she was gone........

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my 55 Chevy taken around August of 1968. My 1st car. I was a junior in high school. Took out the 6cyl/glide and installed a 301 with a 3 speed tranny. With out any exageration, I blew up certainly no less than a dozen transmissions. Got to the point where I always kept a spare one in the trunk. Could swap out the trans in less than 1/2 hour on the side of the road(no transmission crossmember.The mounts were on the bellhousing). It wasn't until two cars later that I could finally afford to buy my fist Muncie 4 spd( $200.00 back than was a lot of $$$)
    Fun days :D
    [​IMG]

19. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

This was the '34 Ford pickup I had when I was 16 in
    Dallas,Texas. I drove it to high school during the week
    and raced it at Circle Dragstrip on Saturday nights.
    It had a '48 Ford Flathead with a '39 top shift 3 speed
    and 4:11 gears.:cool:

Attached Files:

20. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

49 Dodge wayfair conv lost all of the pictures but the kid who bought it gave me these two. Carson top 10" of winshield, dual 97's straight clutch and gear box' straight split pipes, on a six sound great. This was in 1955 Merced CA

Attached Files:

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So for the Grad in 69' to have a new 69' its ok. But me in 79' with the 69' is not. OK I give.

22. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hey, nothing personal - but when I graduated in '69 we didn't have new cars except the kid who's dad owned the local gas station. My best friend had a '49 chevy, another friend that had a after school job at the local grocery store had a '65 fury w/ police package. Most of the kids didn't have a car because we were a small farm town - a cross road town. But we weren't too far from the "big" city that had the things we didn't have. That's what I want to see the kids that had the daily drivers scraping the dollars for this or trading for that.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1966-1970
    I graduated in 1968
    327 SBC, Muncie 4-speed, Americans and Blue Streak Goodyears...and a 4-track....(!)

Irwindale Drag Strip, New Years Day, 1968

[​IMG]

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

None take'n :), just had to say it.

25. Jagman

Jagman

I don't have a pic of my car, it was a 56 Pontiac I bought for $10......but I took my best girl to the prom in Dad's new '64 Mustang!

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

So for the young guns' high school rides, we can't post unless we graduated back in the day, or just any high school-funded rides that are YOM '50-'69?

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I belive it ,I blew 11 three speeds and had that replaceing trannys down pat had a 56 ,till I too could afford a muncie i also replaced rear leafs w/57 station wagon ,1 set of spiders .1969

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So it wasn't just me.....I finally went out and cut off a speed limit sign for the steel (2 1/2" box tubing) and made a set of slapper bars (a new set of Lakewoods cost more than I paid for my 55!). This helped the u-joint problem, but the trannys were still junk. I can still replace a set of u-joints faster than most. ;)

29. hemifarris

hemifarris

I drove this to high school in 1962 at age 17. I still own and drive it today....

Attached Files:

30. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ