Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many HAMBers live down a dirt road?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt49, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chopt49

chopt49

How many HAMBers live down a dirt road?

I ask this because I am about to move to a wonderful house with a large garage on 10+ acres. There is a 2 mile dirt road off the main street to the house. I will need to contend with dirt and rocks when I get the '49 road ready. Great timing, but the house/vineyard and shop was a deal not to be missed.

So who here has to drive their Hot Rod, Kustom or stocker down a dirt road? What issues do you face, does it bother you?

Cheers,
    Chopt49...soon to be a country boy. :D

2. calvinh

calvinh

I grew up out in the country. It was only about 1/4 off the pavement but we had two drives going to the house. One for dry weather and one for rain/snow.

3. I worked hard all my life so I could retire on a dirt road down by the railroad tracks.

Biggest issue for me is dust. Hard to keep a vehicle of any kind detailed.

4. lorodz

lorodz

does my yard count its a dirt drive way and dirt back yard....lol

5. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

We drive like 5 mph down the road as close to the edge as ppossible. but the darkish brownish redish color helps too. Even if you keep em in a shop they still tend to get dusty

6. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

My house is almost a 1/4 mile down a dirt road, as already mentioned dust is my main complaint. When its rained the road is a muddy mess but it will wash off. I ride my bikes down it to work almost every day and rocks chipping the paint is not too big of a concern, I just take my time and I haven't seen a rock chip yet. I am buying new property for a new house and barn and its on a dirt road also, I can't afford highway frontage property so dirt roads are in my future.

7. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I live 2 miles from nearest paved rd. I drive my "T" bucket almost every dry day during the warm season. I Just keep the speed down. I also use front tires that aren't "stone pickers".

8. markjenks

markjenks

It used to be gravel, but now it's just puddles and dirt.. Like was mentioned earlier, you'll have a hell of a time keeping it clean due to the dust.

But just think of the peace and quiet!

/I live about 1/8 mile off the end of the road and have about 10 neighbors in about a 1 mile circle.

9. Shagrat

Shagrat

I've always lived in the sticks. If they keep the road up, then there's no problem (other than dust). If your ride is low and they don't blade the road then you gotta get two wheels up on the hump or you'll drag off your mufflers :).

10. Count me in. I live about 3/4 mile from a paved road. I'm in no hurry to put shiney paint on my coupe so it doesn't really bother me. I grew up in the country and am used to it. In fact I wouldn't have it any other way.

11. williebill

williebill

All my cars spent the first 20-30 years of their life running dirt roads..An old time bodyman told me long ago that was why it was (then) easier to find NOS body panels for the right side of vintage cars,cause the left sides rusted out faster from the dirt/mud spray...Drive slow,wash often.....

12. I'll nominate Povertyflats... to him if the dirt is graded... he considers it paved!

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep.

A dirt road, and a wash I have to drive through...

Capri's 012.jpg

Capri's 013.jpg

14. be it north , south , east or west! country boys can survive!! SALUTE!!:D

15. four tenths of a mile long dirt/gravel/potholed driveway...you don't see me at the local show and shine

16. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I live at the end of a 1/2 mile dead end road with a 1/4 mile of driveway after that. The road is gravel, not dirt. Well most of it is gravel except the parts that was all the gravel off since the water runs over the road in a heavy rain.

[​IMG]
    My road in winter. Just another one of the joys of winter. Most of my driveway and road pictures are winter, I should take some summer ones.

[​IMG]

My driveway in winter. Makes for a lot of scooping at times. It is a great view from my place though.

[​IMG]

The road floods during a heavy rain. The water washes all the gravel into the ditch.

Attached Files:

17. chopt49

chopt49

wow guys, makes me feel like I will not be so alone.....and I too do not plan on shiny paint for some time.

I will need to put in some inner fender wells in much sooner now... :)

Keep em coming.. got to be more.

18. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

most companies that do pavement work can put an oily solution down your dirt road that really cuts down on the dust and dirt and also the rocks flinging around

19. Does a long gravel driveway count???

20. Live a mile+ from the pavement. Building my next car to drive in the snow. got a corner next to my house that is fun to get on the gas and hang it out.

21. I am about half mile from the pavement ,but it is not a dirt road it is lava cinders! My gasser has no inner fender wells ,makes for alot cleaning.

22. BELLM

BELLM

I live 3 miles down a bad gravel road, lots of oilfield traffic keeps it tore up, rubboard shakes your teeth out. If the road is freshly graded I will drive my coupe or roadster out slow but I pay $60 per month for a space in town where I keep the coupe or roadster, whatever we are driving at the time. Otherwise I trailer it to the pavement and it still gets dusty or muddy. Tradeoff is my nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away, as long as I keep my wife happy I can haul in all the old cars I want, I don't have to deal with homeowner associations or city codes, can work as late or early as I want and be as noisy as I want, crank up the tunes as loud as I want, house is up on a hill got a beautiful view of my pasture, ponds & cows. Got a spring fed creek runs thru my place, anytime I think about moving all I gotta do is spend a few minutes walking that creek and I forget about it. Tradeoffs.

23. chopt49

chopt49

Dude you live in HAWAII.. I would live with the clean up..

I will have a hell of a view and privacy too... main reason we are moving. I was just talking to my wife today about trailerin' the '49 to the main road and going from there... we will see.

24. E Burfield

E Burfield

Yes, I also live on a shitty dirt road. But the hill i have to drive up and down really sucks the most. But the best part of it all is the view of the WHOLE HIGH DEZ. O yeh the lack of neighbors is also a plus.

25. My road used to be cinders, now it's gravel. I just don't hang my arm over the side of the roadster for the first mile or so after I hit the black top. (tires throw rocks)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  26. DEVIL DAN

DEVIL DAN

had one until we sealed it, i found the faster you drive the pot holes and bumps did'nt last as long

27. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Yep..I'm on 5 acres..so about 1/4 mile to pavement. Pretty easy here in the desert except during monsoon..
    Lots of dust though..

28. my father had a 57 nomad that he used to bomb down the gravel roads in oregon with,
    he never seemed to care or have any problems, but that nomad wasn't worth then what they are today for sure..... dusty in the summer but some times they would oil down the roads with some kind of diesel mix....

29. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

quarter mile deadend drive thats gravel--in summer--mud the rest of the year. the township roads are worse--pot holes and craters. Only a mile to asphalt. But what did these cars travel on in their prime? If it was good enuff for em then --then its okay now. I dont own any trailer queens. Besides no neighbors-cept deer, coyotes and opposums are the best kind of neighbors.

30. Leon

Leon

About a 1/4 mile of dirt, just have to drive a little slower on it.