Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 gmc starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rudvirus, Jun 17, 2010.

1. ok the starter is done by pushing the switch on the floor is there a way i can just use the key or a push button instead of using the one on the floor

2. I'm sure there is a later starter that will bolt in or you may be able to use a Ford solenoid in place of the floor switch. I had one on my Model "T" in place of the stock "T" floor button.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The drive is shifted in with the foot pedal as well as closing the electrical connection. You will need a Chevy car starter from about 49-54 std. trans style for key/button start. A Ford style solenoid will not work.

4. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The foot pedal both closes the switch to turn the starter AND moves the starter drive into position. A Ford solenoid won't do that.

Six volt and 12 volt flywheels and starters are diifferent so you have to use a starter that matches your flywheel. Fortunately the '46 to '54 COE starter is six volt and has a later type solenoid so you can use it to do what you want.

5. The foot pedal both closes the switch to turn the starter AND moves the starter drive into position. A Ford solenoid won't do that.

I had a hunch that was the case. If it was my truck, I'd leave it as is. It's cool and old fashioned, as well as being trouble free. Everything that you add to a car is another, potential, problem.

6. true it is cool. it will stay the way it is