Register now to get rid of these ads!

WIW? 62 Impala (yes there are pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Jun 16, 2010.

1. aceuh

aceuh

I ran and bumped a couple different wanted ads in the classifieds for a while. Most of the replies were either for 4drs (which I stated in the ad I didn't want unless they were extremely nice and nearly free), out of my budget, or to far away...Some were all three.

I'm patient, and apparently cheap! One will turn up sooner or later.

Just for the sake of comparison and conversation...Here's a couple pics of my 64 that I sold last November. It was extremely straight, solid floors & body mounts. Had a great interior and the engine had suposedly been recently rebuilt. I couldn't verify the rebuild but she ran and drove like a champ. The car needed minor patches behind the wheels and a trunk pan. I paid 3K for it about this time last year. I installed new pinner whites, electronic ignition and a starter...and just drove it. I really liked the car. I sold it to a couple guys from Sweden for a smidge more then what I had in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'd say $4,000 is your top dollar. Offer the guy that, and if he says no bueno, then you walk. Simple as that. The car may be worth $6,000-$8,000 running, but it isn't.

If it's so easy to get running, why doesn't the owner get it running and then ask that price? The desirability of a car does affect it's value, but potential value is just that- potential.

3. There was a guy advertising a '64 409 SS on the local CL - that he'd pulled the 409 out and stuck a 350 in and was only trying to get $3500 for. Said he'd tried to sell it with the 409 for $8000. Must not have done a very good job because with the 409 it's about a $20,000 car going by the book, I would think at $8,000 it would sell in about as much time as it took to start an eBay listing.

4. russ1403

russ1403

4 k tops from what i see,,but i wouldnt be suprised to see it in a ad for 7-8 k in my hood.impalas are real popular with the car clubs around here and they always want alot for "buckets".if you really truly want a 62 then 4 k wouldnt be bad for that one,ive seen worse go for more.

5. Tony

Tony

Judging from the responses i think location has something to do with it. 3K or 3500 for a pretty solid 2 door ht around here would be a damn good deal running or not.
    I watch these regularly being the early X frame chevys are a major interest of mine, and if that car is as solid as it appears in the pics i could see it getting above the 3K mark quickly. It might not go much over, but 4-4500 would by far not be a stretch at all, if not more.
    I've paid more for less, and that was knowing what i was getting ahead of time..
    There are probably a hand full of guy's i know who would pay that right away if it were local.

Tony

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. calvinh

calvinh

Considering he bought the car 15 years ago from family he probably got it pretty cheap. Its a good clean car. Finding the right shop the guy could probably drop 2500 to 3 grand on it and ebay will get 10 grand. its not unrealistic to find a shop that will get it running and a decent paint job for that price. If you have 4k to offer I would and scoop it up quick. Money talks and the reality is if you buy it for less than 5k and have buyers remorse its not a losing situation. You could easily make your money back and then some. But keep in mind that the longer you wait the more people will know about it and the harder its going to be to get it.

7. 61 chevy

61 chevy

it must have vapor locked at some point, i see clothpins on the fuel line

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

oh man I just now saw the pics. thats the kind of car a guy who wants an original 62 Impala pays the big bucks for. it's got all the right stuff and it's an AC car. look at the trim. that is a nice car to restore. there are people nutty enough to pay what he's asking. original cars are better than money in the bank. why sell it for 3500 now when the next guy will get 7500.00 a couple years from now.

9. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

$5000 would be a fair price for both parties.
    Better if you could act fast on it. Once word gets out it'll bring more.
    Start at the $3500 range.

10. aceuh

aceuh

Bringing this post back up just for the sake of conversation.

Owner finally moved it... don't know how much it brought... it now runs/drives (well... it's had a hundredish miles added since I saw it). Brakes fixed with the addition of drop spindles and disc on the front and a dual pot mc...era corrrectish wheels... buffed paint and the seatcovers removed. Looks pretty good ... curious as to what it's gonna bring.

And no... I have no regrets about walking away... I ended up with a much nicer cleaner car that I've really enjoyed. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...619&item=230735219847&viewitem=&category=6169

11. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Realy my brakes are stock manual and thay work great you disk brake guys crack me up

Attached Files:

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like you did pretty well on the one you got. I had an almost identical twin to the one you started the thread about in the mid 70's it was a good old car that I should have kept and kept driving.