Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to flush gas tank with?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY T., Jun 17, 2010.

1. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Have to change gas tank on wifes car--bought a used one --good shape , but looks like a little varnished gas and maybe some dust in it.Should I just swish some gas around in it and drain it ,or is there something better to do?
    thanks

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Denatured alcohol works good at getting the varnish out.

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I've cleaned out motorcycle tanks with laquer thinner worked well on varnish but won't touch rust.
    Robert

4. lorodz

lorodz

my sound funny but i used some gas let it sit for a couple days and than flushed it out with water and all the varnish came out with it ..

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if the varnish is thick ..while using a solvent..throw some small nuts or bolts that will come back out easy to help loosen up the scum..put them in and shake it up while its sealed off with some tape.

6. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Years ago I used to carry them to the radiator shop and have them vatted but not sure if they still do that or not.

One thing to keep in mind if it is a pump gas application is that with the 10% ethanol in the fuel now it is acting like a detergent and cleaning any deposits in the older tanks and sending them upstream so make sure and get everything you can out. Filters will not stop a lot of this stuff either as it is showing up as a sticky residue at the carbs.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Throw a small chain in there and slosh it around!!

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the ones I work on go to the local radiator shop to get boiled out. It makes welding, sealing and lining a snap (and not a BOOM!).

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I bought a gallon of paint stripper for my last tank, it cut ALL the brown varnish nicely. I then pressure sprayed it out.

11. big creep

big creep

x2 here they still do that,this is your best bet if you can get it done. pretty cheap too.

12. Acetone is the main ingredient in Absorbine Jr. muscle linament. Safe to rub on your aching muscles!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like when I did my motorcycle I used kerosene.

14. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

for my cars&bikes i use diesel soak it for a little then put a chain in there and slosh it around