Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Abomination" Henry J gasser- on the operating table

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

thanks guys.

I've been driving the car. There's about 300 miles on it now.

This thing is an animal. It is now, what it wished it was before. The pipes aren't too loud. It has a nice cackle at idle. A little quieter than before, but when I romp on it, it's like open headers. When I launch it, it lifts the front end and even lites up the wrinkle walls.

I have to snap some more pictures of how it is now. I put hood pins on it and installed a drive shaft loop today. Hood pins were a freebie off a 71 chevelle SS that I'm working on at work.

2. SimonSez

SimonSez

Looking good!

Did you notice any difference with the way the cross-ram runs now you have the balance tube on it?

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That rod belongs on a wall of carnage, the rework is looking good so far.

4. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

see you and your dad around the car shows love looking at the henry j everytime i see it...jones

5. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

that would make a cool paper weight :)

6. I was thinking column drop...you can't make that shit up.

7. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

For you local guys....come watch the Abomination Henry J run the Koopmeiners & Sons 55 in a best 2 out of 3 match race.....alot of other match races are planned for the day.
    Ryan....Hope your cross over tube is working...you might need it!!

Search "Meltdown" on the hamb for more info....July 31st, 2010!!

Meltdown Flyer.jpg

8. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

VON...WELL I think it's time to brang this badboy back to the top of the board...POP.

9. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I've allways liked your Henry. Good job. I think I'm starting to want another one.

10. lorodz

lorodz

sweet looking henry.....

11. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

henry to henry, man i like it................

12. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thats One Sweet HJ .. Ive payed attention to this J right from the HJ pages to now.... Your skills and attention to detail are spot on... congrats..

I wish I could be there to watch it make its pass.. A Very Cool Piece..

13. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

looking good Ryan, see you at the Meltdown

14. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

great looking little car. cant wait for more progress!!

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I had the car together for the Hunnert Car heads-up. Had it on the trailer and everything. Unfortunately, I was still having carb issues... along with other problems I still haven't located. I made it to the drags, the car didn't, I didn't want to go through the trouble to bring it if it wouldn't run.

[​IMG]

So it's going back on the operating table. Lots of leaks... intake, water pump, timing cover plate, and possibly the heads will have to come off. -Don't let anybody tell you there is such thing as fuel resistant silicon

So it looks like the MELTDOWN DRAGS will pretty much be the new debut event.

It needs new slicks, I've balded these.

- I'm going to redrill the axle flanges for a 5 inch pattern and the matching magnesium 15x10 torq thrusts will go on it with a different set of tires and long drag studs.

- I'm considering pulling the spacer blocks out of the front to pick up some MPH on the top end.

I've got about 5 weeks... time to kick it in gear.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car is cool. it's the Henry J version of my avatar.. only real.

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

No progress pictures of it even though I've been working on it. I had to pull the intake, cooling system etc. to fix some things. Took it to the track Sunday and it would not perform. The verdict is ignition, which I am going to go pick up from the HOT ROD Shop right now.

It barely had enough spark to trigger the timing light:eek: Which would explain why the car is lean but when it is jetted up it loads up and misses like hell.

Let's hope a pertronix conversion solves it.

The new rear tires are in and mounted on the mags only to find out that I don't have room on the axle flange for a 5 inch pattern.:mad: There's only one thing to do about that since new axles are cheaper than magnesium wheels. Get new axles....

18. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Hey Ryan, what is your front axle width - kingpin to kingpin? Looks killer, hope to lay eyes on it one day.

19. Hang in there Ryan, it's gonna be worth it!

20. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

wish i could be there being i live 15 miles from byron but i'm going to vegas with the wife. i think i'll get over it. have fun at the drags ...jones

21. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Gotta love a mean and nasty Henry!

22. Your car is flat-out badass Ryan...waaay cool!;)

I can't believe someone didn't already mention this...but is that a Schwinn Orange Crate in that picture...?:eek:

I had one exactly like that when I was a kid...

23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

John, yes that is a Schwinn Orange Krate in the background. It is an early 69 model. That's what I rode before I had my drivers license. I restored everything except the paint. It was a basket case when I got it. I wish I could tell you how many hundred miles I put on it. BTW terminal velocity on an Orange Krate is 35 mph. it won't go any faster.

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

It's a 38 willys axle. 2 in. drop. 48 in. kingpin to kingpin.

25. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

id kill to have the bike i rode as a kid. id also kill to see a stock henry j....god i wish i could build a gasser

26. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

A stock Henry?
    Here's the way the car looked when I got it. It was pretty much all stock. Original flathead 6. Had a hurst shifter, black primer, head liner job done in the 70s, and a screwed up grill. Other than that, all stock. oh yeah, and lots of bondo.

The car was originally light Gray exterior. Interior was green and red plaid with "Dragon Skin"

[​IMG]

27. Clik

Clik

I'd really like to know what your engine and driveshaft/pinion angle is. Any vibration at speed?

I have the small block mocked up in my Henry J in the same location as yours using the same basic engine mounts and yet my angles seem to radical.

I know 4X4s get away with a lot but the don't turn the high RPMs either.

I've got my crank and pinion at the same angle (parallel) and that gives me about 22 degrees with the parallel lines being about 18" apart.

My engine is at about 4-6 degrees (crappy angle finder) at the crank line, not the manifold.

Paul Behne

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Updates

Never really posted any pictures of this thing back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since these pictures were taken I balded the M/T Cheaters. I ran them till the cords were hanging out. So I gave the wheels back. The old American Racing aluminum slots that were on the back belonged to a friend.

So after selling off some car parts and doing some horse trading. I was able to come up with a set of wheels to replace them

These are now my street wheels. 15x8 Palamedes with 30x10 Hurst slicks. One cool part about these is that they had old M&H slicks mounted on them with tubes inside, when we dismounted them, we found they had Hoosier tubes that were in perfect shape even though they were dated December '68. So I remounted them, (Bonus)

The car will burn these tires through 3rd gear. It's hilarious
    [​IMG]

I also was able to pick these up, 15x10 torq thrusts. I will mount my wrinkle wall slicks on these for the strip.
    [​IMG]
    These are the slicks I'm using on the screwed rims. They are 30x10.5 slicks. These wheels have a 5 in pattern instead of the 4.5 I needed so they were traded off for the palamedes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  29. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Paul, I can't tell you off-hand what the drive shaft angle is. From what we were explained, the pinion of the rear end and of the trans needed to be 2-3 degrees different. The third member, should be 2-3 degrees down from the trans, so under hard excelleration, if there was any flex or movement it would just bring them more in line. I don't recall the angle of the drive shaft being explained to us. The angle is not very severe and there is no vibration, so I'm not concerned about it. When we set up the motor, we wanted the carbs as level as possible, but they are leaned back several degrees.

If anybody else knows different, please post

30. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those frontrunner's in that last pic.......................... on the right there........................

OOOOH I just got all hot and sweaty!!

Doc.