Register now to get rid of these ads!

Teardrop hood scoop questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ERKEL

ERKEL

papa toms car looks killer with the tear drop. i say tear drop all the way. the cowl hoods are to squared off for a 5-6-7 in my opinion.

scotty t likes this.
  2. MP&C

MP&C

Larry, we used a combination of things, a bead around the inside perimeter of 3M windshield caulking, pressed the screen into place, and held there with popsickle sticks on the outside in multiple locations, cable ties fed thru the holes to gently pull outward (don't want to bend the screen) and hold the screen into the caulking. Let it set a couple days and applied a nother bead of black seam sealer. Carefully cut the cable ties off, and its been there ever since. Normally I get pictures of everything, but somhow I missed the popsickle sticks. If you have clearance problems, well I did get pictures of that....

We had a 65 Fairlane drag car to paint, and the owner had ordered a Crites teardrop hood. Only it didn't quite fit......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was ready to send the hood back, and concede to using a snorkel. I told him to order another teardrop, and we'd make it work. He was hesitant (I don't think he trusted me), but he did order it.

[​IMG]

Height mocked up. The aluminum will be used to support the f/g mat while the resin cures. Then it will get flipped over, remove the aluminum, and more mat goes in from the back side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strips of f/g mat laid in to tighten things up, and keep the hood scoop from moving.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a complete layer went on and cured, the aluminum was removed and the procedure repeated from the bottom side. (and the top again and again, until it was smooth) Here it is after completion of the fiberglass, a few coverings of high build, sandings, and white sealer...

[​IMG]

After working on this hood, I would say that you'd probably have better success with the f/g teardrop blending in and staying on a f/g hood. I think f/g hoods are readily available for all the trifives, so that should help out.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    Okie Pete likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Seriusly though, nice work on it.

4. holy sheep shit! Thats a teardrop!!!!!!

5. Tear drop scoops (or whatever you wanna call em) look great on lots of cars. I really hope you dont let the keep a Ford on a Ford thing steer you away from one.

There are a bunch of threads here on the HAMB about bonding fiberglass to steel if you do a search. I was thinking about putting one of these on an off topic car and found lots of info on it. Unfortunately I was a little slow on digging up the info and my paint guy finished the hood before I got to it.

6. 69fury

69fury

that chevy is one of the best ways to get ford parts down the strip fast. :D

7. badshifter

badshifter

That's no teardrop, more like a Flash Flood!

8. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

scoop2.png
    It has taken me awhile...MP& C wondering what screen you used? Is there a correct screen type for a tear drop?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Just Gary likes this.
  9. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Finally ready to attach to glass hood. Unless I hear different, I am going to use the 3/16" rivets. How far apart or how many in the scoop? Should I use screws instead? Still looking for the right screen. Screen that is there will be moved. hoodsccoop3.jpg

10. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Copy of PB292058.JPG It's on! Used a layer of glass/resin mix then riveted with 3/16 and 1/8 aluminum rivets. Thanks so far, now to blend with the hood.

11. cardealer

cardealer
    from So-Cal

Old thread, but this works for me and never had a crack - ever.

photo 4-004.JPG photo 4-003.JPG photo23.JPG photo 3-004.JPG photo 1-005.JPG photo 2-005.JPG photo 1-006.JPG photo 2-004.JPG photo 3-005.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but to me they looked gross on anything including all the 60's Fords..I know they worked great I just couldn't stand their looks....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The correct term for the "Screen" used is called "Wire Cloth"
    Have a TD on a 65 Barracuda hood

Attached Files:

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Absolutely the best scoop/evaculator ever made. They look best on a '65 Falcon in my opinion but anyone can come to the part!

15. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Wow....still have not finished this. Cardealer that is another excellent step-by-step.

16. Allstar Racing has a nice screen material I used on mine. I pop-riveted it in place, used washers on the back side and went through through the screen material, think it was 6 pop-rivets per screen.