Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

Startup, first attempt

BP oil spill! Okay, I can't blame BP. I spilled the oil myself, that's what hurrying does for you. I had everything ready, distributor, plugs, wires, carb, temporary gas can. Then I remembered I hadn't fill the engine with oil so I stuck in a funnel and poured. A few minutes later I noticed a puddle under the truck. About half a gallon. Get out the oil dry. I'd left the oil level indicator off the side of the oil pan. Then I couldn't find the plug that goes in the bottom of the indicator. Crap! I whipped up a block off plate and kept filling. Check list: battery in place, starter button in hand, jumper on coil, gas tank filled. I held my palm over the intake and hit the button. The engine sucked my arm into the carb right up to the elbow. Well, that's what it felt like any way. I peeled my hand off the intake and hit the button again. The engine spun and a couple of backfires exploded out the exhaust. Ears ringing, I tried again. This time I got a big cough from the carb. After a few more tries I sat back and thought about it. Something's not right. I've timed a thousand engines so it's not like I'm green. These old engines with long, long strokes are a little weird when it comes to timing. But's that's as far as I got. I had to pick up kids at the YMCA. Might get back on it tomorrow if there's nothing planned.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Startup

Well, that was the problem. Every 6 cylinder inline engine I've ever worked on had a firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4 and that's what I assumed this engine had. But the gods of the gear had a surprise for me. After observing the valves in relation to the pistons I found out the firing order was really 1-4-2-6-3-5. What else has that firing order?
    Rolls, Stutz... Anyway it starts and runs and you can see it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KojcIlTwneQ Turn up the volume!

Jerry

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Jerry,

AWSOME, i think i just melted the speaker on my computer...........:D

keep up the good work.

Keith

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It lives! Exciting moment. Congratulations, Jerry. Won't be long, and you'll be cruisin' "big-time".

5. That's just too cool! Congrats on getting the engine running.

6. draggin breath

draggin breath

I really love this build,but I think the rearend was a not so good idea. you have lots of Torque,more in line with a small semi diesel today. That design Mopar rear shells out spider gears on a regular basis in stock pickups. Work out the ratio you need based on the size tire your going to run. There is bound to be a 3/4 or one ton mininum rear that you can get on the cheap. My .02 worth........Love the thing!!!!!!!!

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IT'S ALIVE!!!! Congrats, it's gonna be fun. Saw an original Seagrave fire engine with the same engine this weekend. In person, they look even bigger than your photos! :D

Brian

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Nice! You're a true wild man. Keep up the good work.

9. noboD

noboD

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

my favorite build lives , thanks for the speedster fix , the engine sounds like an old airplane engine , awesome

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I gotta hand it to you...You are one of a very few that could have brought that engine back to life. Good job.

12. Those pops and sputters are great to hear!!! Timing is always fun with those T heads... like you said, three times around to get things all right.

Sounds like you're really close- keep up the good work!

13. wow, this is awesome.

14. dudley32

dudley32

keep going...and keep us posted...d32

15. yonahrr

yonahrr

I actually need a 2.5 something rear end. Mopar makes one but they're scarce. I'm an easy driver. If I blow the diff, I'll upgrade. Money solves most problems but right now I'm on a budget. Thanks for checking out the Seagrave.
    Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

16. chris55

chris55

Just read the whole thread, and all I can say is, WOW what a cool build. Thanks for all the updates, and please keep them coming.

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

The cooling system is my next concern. Not sure where I'm going with it. I might just hang something on it so I can tune in the engine. Thanks for checking things out.
    Jerry

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Thanks for the support. You guys keep me going. If you like the video posts, I'll make a few more.

Jerry

19. HECK YA!!!

Brad54, Stevie G and I are doing a "shop night" on Thursdays... we may have to make one of them a visit, if that's a good night for you?

20. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Read the whole thread, Great work Jerry. Keep us posted.

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Just let me know when you're coming. The wife's off Tues and Thurs so that's better for me.

Jerry

22. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

WTF!!! SPAM!!!??:mad:

23. This is one awsome build Jerry, maybe you can find an electrician on some big construction site with axcess to a Greenlee Bender or rent one and bend your own pipes with the double bends you need for your exhaust..............

24. I've just reported it, in case nobody else already had...

25. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Great to hear it running.:D

26. I like, we all like. Thanks!:cool:

27. The work you have done on that engine is fantastic, can't wait to see what the rest of the car will turn out like. Great job.

28. Morris

Morris
    from UK

I'm lovin' this build! Great stuff Jerry.

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Radiator

Last week the kids were in VBS and had to be picked up at 12:00. I got nothing done and I gained 10 lbs. This week I got out a radiator I'd been saving from a motorhome I junked out. I think it'll handle the heat since it was designed to cool a big V8 pulling a house up Pike's Peak. I made up some brackets to hold the thing up while I checked out the fit and size.

Jerry

Attached Files:

30. Giovanni

Giovanni

This is one bitchin' speedster. I read the whole post. Nice work. If you haven't done anything with the exhaust yet, i vote split manifolds. Two three into ones and run them along the bottom of the body with slash cut tips. Maybe a muffler of some type in the middle to get some good resonance.
    Keep it up!