Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just picked up 30 Model A sedan rust bucket need assistance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chloichina, Jun 14, 2010.

1. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

2. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

Well here it is, its mine! It is very rough, I have not done anything that needs this much work. How do I deal with this body sand blast, Ospho and body filler. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is very pitted and the metal seems thin but still I have not done a car this old. I have not touched a car this old. Imagine that never touched a car this old. WOW :eek:

3. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

You're going to learn to weld real soon!

4. shoeboxford

shoeboxford
    from Indiana

and how to form metal

5. Psych

Psych

If you are going to sand blast, I would set the air pressure real low. You can consider the use of fiber glass cloth over (or under) the existing metal to maintain the shape and then use filler to smooth. Good luck. Keep us informed.

6. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Here is what I would do. I'd get me some wood pallets and make a sort of hillbilly dippin' tank. Get some thick plastic and cover the pallets. Throw the whole rusted works into it. Fill up with some water and pour in some molasses (but be sure to clean off all the oil and dirt first). Soak it for a few weeks, take it out and insta rust free A sedan :) The molasses mix with only eat the rust and unlike white vinegar will not keep eating at the metal. It takes a bit longer but I think when your dealing with thin metal it is best to find a gentler approach to it rather than blasting it or grinding it.

7. F&J

F&J

Advice? ...don't spend a dime on any parts until you make some progress on the body. What I mean is not grabbing cool gauges, driveline and other stuff first.

I'd blast one quarter inside and out, then see if it's too far gone to weld panels on. If you save one quarter, keep going. But don't even think about buying anything besides what you need to patch the body shell.

8. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Been there, done that. Sell it and spend the money on a solid body. Trust me.

9. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

Tips about the belt line? Any one make the Model A belt line or should I just make it into one roll insted of two? Any thoughts about USC All-Metal body filler?

10. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I hate to discourage anyone from doing anything they really want to do, but I have to side with Rob on this one. The pics clearly show that it's unfortunately a cheese grater from top to bottom. Too far gone for anything short of an extremely rare car.

On the question of methods of saving something is this condition, careful media blasting small areas and following with spray weld to build it back up seems to be the most current method. That is, if we were talking about a Pierce Arrow.

11. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

My heart hurts!

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

The dash rail looks great! The rest? Well, not so much. You will have so much time and money in it that you'll regret it in the end. Move on, and find a better body. Good Model A sedan bodies aren't that rare.

Bob

13. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, for a guy who has no experience with old cars, you got yourself a HUGE project. I've been welding and doing body repair for decades and I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot body hammer. Cut your losses and find another body without big holes all over.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

15. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Looks the most solid part of that car is its shadow! Id look for something a little better.

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I wouldn't media blast it. I would wire wheel the back of the panels to remove the flaky rust. I would then soak the steel a small section at a time with Evapo Rust. Once I had clean steel, I'd butter the back thin in the worst areas with MAXIM fast set body panel adhesive epoxy. I usually mix it on a board and spread it like bondo filler. That might save you a lot of steel reconstruction. Evapo rust is @$20/gal, the epoxy is @$30 for a caulk gun size tube.

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Are you okay son?

18. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

Not yet, Still in a little shell shock. But say I do as you said then backed it with woven fiberglass for stability. How long do you think it will last? If I convert and or treat all the rust with additional support welded in. i.e. 1" square tubing for structure. I want to make a fun somewhat safe car to keep or just fix up the best I can and sell.

19. missysdad1

missysdad1

I grew up in Maine and encountered many cars like yours sitting in the woods. They look like cars...but really aren't. They are the memory of cars.

Can it be saved? Probably. Can it be saved economically? Probably not.

:(

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

You asked for advice - my suggestion is to pay great heed to it. Just because it's old, doesn't mean you need to invest any time and money in it. As previously stated, there are plenty of A-bone Tudors out there in much better condition - and - I'd guess the purchase price of a decent body would be MUCH less than what you're going to spend trying to bring this old sieve back to life.

dj

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

If you already own it, nothing would be wrong with taking little bites at it. Just remove one panel at a time, replicate it or repair it. Might cost you more than replacing it in the long run, but nibbling away at it for $50 a week wouldn't seem so bad. I've bought a $100 sheet of steel that's kept me busy for weeks. 1" tubing structure would be a must either way, so why not. If it was easy, everyone would have one.

22. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

I posted another thread about turning it into a phaeton to see what the consinsis would be. Wicked, I think you are right and if I totally mess this one up at least I can learn and make something that runs.

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Use it to learn on, if you totally screw the pooch, at least you havent ruined a good body. If you are successful, you can show the befre and after pic.s with pride.

24. chloichina

chloichina
    from Florida

Thanks that is my thought and people have given me great ideas. Thank you everyone. plus I could start another car at the same time if I can get it passed my wife?

25. bob cutler

bob cutler

This car is in almost the same shape as mine. I have built a new frame and have most of the suspension done. Just getting the inner floor skeliton started then on to the drive line. Man take your time do it the way you want and drive the hell out of it, half the fun is in the build.