Register now to get rid of these ads!

Raising trans tunnel braces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrDano, Jun 10, 2010.

1. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Swapping a 5-speed into my '62 Galaxie and am working on raising the trans tunnel. Is there a slick way to make new raised floor support sections (hat channels) that go over the trans and support the floor over them? Need to raise the 3 braces from the output shaft of the trans back to the rear end from 1" on the front increasing to ~3" on the rear most brace.

Photo shows the brace that goes over the tailshaft over where the red rag is at, the piece removed is at an angle to show the cross section of the brace. I know I can't build a channel with the same OEM look, so I need something simple but strong that will do the job.

[​IMG]

2. 88 gtu

88 gtu

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You can use a 1/4" flat stock like that used in driveshaft safety loops. Just cut a piece of 2x6 into the shape you want and clamp it to a table, then use heat to form the stock around it. Make it splice into the hat channel about 1" on each end.

4. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I'm trying the 1/4" route. Found some 6" diameter 1/4 wall pipe cut into 2" wide strips and hacked in half again to make two 180 degree radius pieces. Its looks positively hideous, but should be stong as a brick poop house. I'll throw some gussets on each side and post some pictures in a few days.