Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri-Five Buick/Oldsmobiles 54-55-56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Feb 24, 2010.

1. thats pretty reasonable price.

2. 1955 Buick

1955 Buick
    from England

Just been catching up on this thread....nice to see these Buicks have a good following.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 55 Roadmaster:

Attached Files:

3. bentwings

bentwings

There are 3 Buicks in our cruise group. 2 55's and a 56. One of the 55's has a later model frame with leaf sprngs on the rear. I think the 56 has an open drive shaft and 9 in Ford on coil overs. I don't see him very often. All 3 are driven regularly and long distances in our cruises. There are basically stock appearing with minor cosmetic changes. Nice cars.

4. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

My '54, also have a '54 4 door but no pictures of it.
    [​IMG]

5. bentwings

bentwings

There were quite a few of these at 'Back to the 50's". Some really nice ones.

there are several 54-56 Olds in our cruise group.

6. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Cool sedan Onelow........... I like the 2 door post for the hot rod look. Dig the hardtops for customs............ Getting so hot around here that I decided to go topless.... (OK, hoodless) Not really for the heat, just doing detail work in preparation for paint. But I haven't gotten stopped yet.............

Attached Files:

7. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Mine. I think it will be for sale soon.

Attached Files:

8. Looked at one today (Olds) that needs rockers. They make 'em, or do I have to?

9. Super88

Super88

10. Sheridan Car show last weekend... I was doing some advertising for our Traditional show in Aug.

[​IMG]

11. Here's my buddy's 54 super 88 that we're working on. We patched the rust and painted it this spring in my old workshop. The engine bay has been redone but is covered in cut polish in these pictures. I can't wait to get cruisin'.

Attached Files:

12. emercadog

emercadog
    from California

My 55 Buick Special in progress...

Attached Files:

13. Shawn M

Shawn M

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a 53! I figured it was better to ask for forgiveness than for permission!

There are some really nice cars on here

14. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

15. jozw30

jozw30
    from Arizona

Hello everyone! Just signed up, cool hangout.

I have been a muscle car resto guy my whole life and am getting bored. I am looking for a clean 55 Olds 88 2dr sedan project car to do a custom.

Have a vision, but need to know where the technical resources are for how to do all of the suspension mods. I want to lower properly with a good ride. Disk brakes, etc.

My plan right now is to use a 2005 GTO drivetrain.

What's the best suspension set up method? Does anyone sell "bolt-on" stuff for the 55 olds?

Thanks,

Joe

16. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

i know where there is a 56? old 2-door sedan with a stick,that is i real good shape and the price seems fair not a lot of rust,v-8 just as it came from the factory.
    blue with blue interior seems 100 per cent there.

17. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Disc brake kits are available for the original suspension, dig here and I think there is info on rear disc setups too.

Rebuilt parts from www.fusick.com or www.kanter.com

I see toeboard patch panels on ebay, could well be junk, I don't know.

If you wanted to go rack & pinion fatman does a mustang II frame stub or I believe that camaro clips fit well.

Other than that you're on your own, its fabrication time.. if you want to do an easy build go get a tri chevy, everything you can possibly think of is available bolt on for them.

You might want to take a closer look at Denises dads car, there are some build up pictures here: http://www.detroitspeed.com/projectpages/jimsheldon/jsheldon_main.htm

Steve Sellers did a buick with an LS engine : http://www.55buick.com/Project/index.html

18. jozw30

jozw30
    from Arizona

Thanks for the input! I'll check that stuff out.

This is a really active message board, and I'm sure I will find lots of help and cool ideas here as I take this on.

Hotrodstude, I might go with a 56 if it's a good deal. Can you send me a link or contact?

Thanks!

Joe

19. mrrocket

mrrocket

Makes me miss my Old 55 Holiday 88...wonder if anyone knows what happened to it? SOld it to a fellow from Ohio, I think it was...about 6 years back.

20. mrrocket

mrrocket

55 Olds Holiday 88, was primered a mint/sage green with original white top, green and cream interior, front disc brake, rear handles shaved, 350/350 combo, lowered about 3 inches. Sold it to a guy named Todd, from Ohio, and I think he's a HAMB'er...anyone?

21. missysdad1

missysdad1

My '55 Special Tourback is currently undergoing some pretty radical work by Carl's Hot Rods in Red Oak, Texas. Here are a couple of teasers...

[​IMG]

The car will appear exactly as it does now. No changes whatsoever on the outside. But...

[​IMG]

New front end mods include Scarebird disc conversion, Corvette 2-pot master cylinder, Kanter extra-heavy gas-filled shocks and heavy aftermarket anti-sway bar.

[​IMG]

Rear mods include a Chevelle-style triangulated 4-link with adjustable uppers, Chevelle coil springs, '77 Chevelle axle, factory '75 442 rear anti sway bar and heavy duty gas-filled shocks.

These are in-progress shots. I'll post more when it's closer to being complete.

Carl and his team are doing great work! I can't wait!!!!!

:)

22. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I would like to see more of that Master cylinder... :D

23. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I may be in the market for a dual-reservoir master cylinder pretty soon for my '57 Buick...

24. Century

Century

I think I'm gonna buy a 53 now...

missysdad1, please post pics of that master cylinder/brake pedal mount!

25. missysdad1

missysdad1

I only took a few in-progress photos, but will take many detailed photos and post them when the work is completed. I will also list the components by part number.

I did take one which sorta shows the master cylinder... The photo also shows the routing of the driver's side dual pipe, for those who have been told it couldn't be done.

[​IMG]

Be patient...

26. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

please do - I get a lot of requests for this and currently have no answer...

27. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

my '56 Super 88 more-door at the VooDoo Larry Kustoms open house

[​IMG]

28. missysdad1

missysdad1

The brake master cylinder Carl (Carl's Hot Rods, Red Oak, Texas) used when fitting the Scarebird disc brake conversion on my '55 Special (see above post) is the Classic Performance Parts (CPP) #MC-118-L. This uses the Corvette design, but with outlets on either side. The specific master he used is a 1 1/8" bore, though other bore sizes are available for other applications.

The push rod consists of part original and part fabricated rod. See the photos for what the finished product looks like. It is fully adjustable and the deep cup on the Corvette master prevents the rod from falling out.

Carl also used a 2-lb Wilwood (blue) residual pressure valve in the front line, and a 10-lb. Wilwood (red) residual pressure valve in the rear line. These are necessary to prevent the fluid from being pushed back from the brake cylinders and calipers into the master cylinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's more info on the part...

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/StreetRods/MC116L.htm

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/Master_Cylinders.htm

More info on the chassis rework will follow as soon as I can get the photos sorted out.

:)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  29. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

We're going to try to do better on this.

I ordered a pair of frame sections (50-53, 54-56 Buick) with master still attached and will see if we can make a bolt in setup. I am not a fan of the corvette master, I feel it is an overweight pig. I am looking at the 1981-90's master; they are aluminum and will allow snap-in bungs for a remote reservoir - eliminating the need for trap doors for filling, bleeding etc. This will also allow upgrade of drum/drum cars too.

30. My 55 Buick Special 2 dr. sedan is getting a frame swap, a modified 78 Buick full size stretched 5 1/2", and rebuilt new rails from the rear spring towers to the rear body panel.

In my case with the damage to the frame from two previous "repairs" before I got it and existing damage, it was the better way out than to subframe the front and change the rear from the torque tube to a open driveline.