Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

HR,
    How do I remember. In 1972, Dover stayed with the 1971 stock rules. Too many Stock classed cars from 1971. In 1973 they changed to Super/Stock.
    In 1972, I ran L/SA also, with a 67' 273/235HP convertible Barracuda.
    Other cars in L/SA, 1965 Chevelle Malibu convertible 327/250HP, 1969 Ford Mustang coupe
    351W/250HP 2-barrel, and a sleeper a white 1967 Rambler American 290/225HP.
    Won class 9 weeks in a row in the late summer/early fall, until a black w/white vinyl-top, Keystone-mag wheel 68' Chevelle Malibu from New Jersey (engine built by Don's out of Metuchen, NJ) came their and ruined the party for the rest of the year.. The Chevelle ran 13.50's with a 327/250HP ?????. It sure had one rough idle. Beat me by about a half-dozen cars. Must have been the gas in Jersey!!!
    Yes, there was CH--TING.
    The guy in the Mustang would go through tech at 9:00 AM with the 2-barrel, then head way down to the end of the pits, lift up the hood and cover it with a big sheet, remove the cast iron intake and carb, and pop on an 'OFFY' dual-plane intake and Holley 715cfm carb.
    Good for him, got him from 15.50's to 14.80's.
    All is fair!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"Won class 9 weeks in a row in the late summer/early fall, until a black w/white vinyl-top, Keystone-mag wheel 68' Chevelle Malibu from New Jersey (engine built by Don's out of Metuchen, NJ) came their and ruined the party for the rest of the year.. The Chevelle ran 13.50's with a 327/250HP ?????. It sure had one rough idle. Beat me by about a half-dozen cars. Must have been the gas in Jersey!!!
    Yes, there was CH--TING."

Reminds me of my first days drag racing. It was at Old Bridge Dragway (how many of you guys remember that place!) which was a 1/16 mile. It used the straight away section of an oval track. I had a 57 Chev convert with 270/283 and 4 speed. I always lost to Larry Bucher (remember him?-he raced AA/F in later years. He had a 58 Chev 335/348 but claimed it was a 280HP. The main reason he always won was I had street tires. One weekend I had a set of Atlas Bucrons and cleaned up. That particular night, the trophy was the biggest they ever awarded. To say that he was not a happy camper would be putting it mildly.

As far as the 68 Chevelle only turning 13.50's, I won't say whether he was cheating or not but my 68 Chevelle convert ran the same combination and it was seldom that I didn't get into the high 12's with my all time best being 12.62 (as an M/SA). And that was COMPLETELY LEGAL.

Skip Asay

3. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

Oh Yea, I remember Old Bridge. I ran a D/G 59 blue biscane there in 61 & 62. Great old track to rum 557 gears at and Atco on Suindays. My competition was the Mother in Law D/G 50 Chevy of Richy Rhiel. Eliminator was made up of class winnersw . Usually, Battisa's B/G 55 chevy, with Doc San Flipo, Frankie Matthews A/G 30 Pickup. Bruce Kings B/GS 55 ford, Toddys A/G 32, Augies gassers, Wally Lynns Altered, Cylde Harnish and Don's A/D and assorted others. Uncle Sam invited me to Fort Bragg the next two years so I bought my friends 57 270 convert and ran F/S at Fayettville. That was way to easy then. Had a blast till Sam thought I should spend the next year in the sunny south pacific (VN) So much for fun. After that I open a speed shop in Aberdeen Md and began announcing and writting stories at Cecil county. See you soon at York

4. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Skip,
    At that time at Dover, 14.20's pretty much guaranteed you a Class trophy in L/SA,
    which I was running. For the most part, all street/strip cars competed in that class, no full-time race cars.
    If you wanted to run in $tock Eliminator, 13.20's would probably be the minimum.
    That black 68' Chevelle had a bunch of class winner decals on it from, I think from Island in Jersey.
    1968 Chevelle Malibu; 327/250HP, #3170lbs.
    8.75-1 compression
    #290 small-port castings; 1.72 int. / 1.50 exh. (57.5 cc; chambers)
    .390/.410 camshaft
    In the 12.00's,,, How'd you do that?
    PC

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"1968 Chevelle Malibu; 327/250HP, #3170lbs.
    8.75-1 compression
    #290 small-port castings; 1.72 int. / 1.50 exh. (57.5 cc; chambers)
    .390/.410 camshaft"

Close on the specs but I believe the CC's were actually 68.8 and I ran a convert so the shipping weight was 3255.

"In the 12.00's,,, How'd you do that?"

Mainly, attention to detail. Forgedtrue (or Duffy's) pistons w/.043 moly top rings, RHS heads, Hooker 1 5/8" headers w/2 1/2" collectors, Crane cam. Now at that time, Crane was producing essentially "blueprinted" stock cams. In other words, more accurately ground than factory but still the same general profile. I got to know Mark Heffington who was their head engineer at the time and he ground me up a true "racing" cam that still passed tech. (Mark was a genius with camshafts who went on to start up Cam Dynamics.)
    Unlike general opinion, I NEVER shifted over 6000 and never set the timing at more than 32 degrees. And I believe I had a 5:38 rear (somewhat cloudy on that). And all of that ran through a Vitar converter and PG.

Skip Asay

6. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Skip,
    I would imagine, paying attention to detail (balancing and blueprinting. measure and
    re-measure).
    If I recall, everyone was bouncing around trying to get the right camshaft;
    Crane, Crower, Lunati and or General Kinetics.
    My Cuda stopped at 4.56 gears, the valves floated out at about 100 feet from the
    end of the track. If I put in 4.89's, there would have been a party with the valves meeting the pistons.
    Joe Kenney ('Trick Tank' fame) on why he went GM instead of Mopar back in 71'.
    'It has nothing to do with the car, it has everything to do with the class, what fits best, if you give me a Race Hemi for free and it doesn't work in the class, what can I do with it'.
    Paul,,,Nice M/SA, run against any 283/220HP 66' Chevy II's?

7. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I think you should go racing again.........Its only money and a lot of fun work. :D

8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Skip...Our 350/295 '68 Chevy II used the same hyd. cam. T/K built our engine and we tried about 3 different cams over one season or two......1 Lunati and 2 different G-K's I think they were. The Lunati was very smooth and would rpm higher then the G-K's but none of them "liked" to go over 6000......maybe 6200 for the Lunati but that was pushing it. Valve float was always an issue and stock springs were pretty poor. With the manual trans if my partner missed a gear I cringed from the death smoke, as I called it that came out from under the car........MPH would usually fall off wih a few missed shifts. We used a mostly stock Muncie at the time......I think we raced at one NED race up at Island.....We spun the tires or something like that and you won.......Your Chevelle convertible....Was it a brown or a dark red color?...... My memory is not always perfect after 4o years..LOL

9. Max Wedge S/SA

Max Wedge S/SA
    from USA

I ran a best of 12.85 at E-town with a 1964 Chevelle convertible 283-220 HP Legal Stock, Jenkins engine and a 4 speed. Ran 13.35 with a powerglide. (70-71) Beat Skip for J Stock Eliminator when he had a Q-jet malfunction. I remember Skips car as being dark blue but then that was 40years ago..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  10. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

In '71, my convert was a dark blue and (I believe.....some things I remember like yesterday. Others....well, not so much) it had a black top.

The reason I never shifted above 6000 had nothing to do with valve float but rather horsepower curve. With small ports and valves it just didn't make any horsepower above 6000. It did, however, clear the traps at 6800-7000. The secret to preventing hydraulic lifter induced valve float was to set the valves with .001-.002 lash. This kept the lifters pumped up to the fullest at all times.

Skip Asay

11. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I used a .002" feeler gauge to do the valve adjustment.......Don't really recall the finishline rpm.....We ran 4.88's with M&H's......Seemd like the power just nosed over at around 6000 in our 350 with the G-K cams. The Lunati pulled higher. Stock lifters....all stock valvetrain.

We did run Old Bridge Speedway once with the Pie Wagon.....It was during the WCS race at E-Town. The place was packed full and they had to close the gate. To many cars and to many people......Very dusty pits and a crazy track......They had to hold the stick cars from rolling at the start and the shutdown included a turn.....since it was a speedway.....I think we were awarded a Class Plaque for setting the track record or something like that....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  12. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

See, you Chevy guys want to go back into it.
    I remember all the Chevy racers used to bring in 327 Chevy Truck Motors
    into my fathers shop to rebuild for racing. Can't remember if it was higher nickel content or what?? Then it was small journal 327's. Then everyone had to have
    4-bolt-mains and pink rods.
    Then it was pre-68' Chevy 327 truck blocks (small journals), cast crank (I think
    #671 or #577), thin rods. Lighter weight more RPM's, and nothing ever blew apart.
    Childs & Albert rings and Arias or Brooks pistons.
    Remember all the camshaft companies;
    Crane
    Lunati
    General Kinetics
    Crower
    Iskendarian
    Racer Brown
    Sig Erson
    Norris
    Engle (popular choice for awhile for Chevy's)
    PC

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  13. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey CC Voice--Do you have any vintage photos from Cecil County? I am looking for anything on any of the "Anderson Olds" cars (specifically the '69 W31) or the "City Olds" '65 442. A little update on the Anderson Olds '69 W31----I picked up my new motor today and hope to have it in and running by the weekend. Until next time..... Dave.

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

correct paul, the 291 heads had both 1.94s and 2.02s. the 325hp and 302 Z28s had the 2.02s with a factory chamber cut to unshroud the intake valve.

15. CC voice

CC voice
    from Virginia

Sorry Dave, I ran the mike and stories and Fred Von Sholly was the photographer. I looked up Fred (after 30 years) this last March in Las Vegas just for that purpose. I asked for the Jr Stocker photo, negs only to learn that Al Procopio just wanted pics of the pro cars. Trust me after following this thread I tried!!!
    Fred posted lots of Cecil pictures on line under "freds files" in response to a National Dragser editor suggesting it. Other than George Curetons pictures and movies, i.e Jim Amos's Flick "Run what you Brung". I don't have many of my own. I do have 1950's and 1960's Hot rod and custom car mags. 1957 Motor Trend has one page advertisement for the 57 chevy Stating "one horsepower per cubic inch"! Hope to see you at York on Sat. Tom Haug (CC Voice)

16. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Biscaynes,
    Lots of mix-n-match heads for Chevy.
    Oh, the Chevy smallblock casting #180 had the higher nickel content.
    You could tell, just by the sound of the boring bar tool bit.
    And all those 327/210 HP connecting rods, would go through about 30 or so, just to find the lightest 8. Then grind the flashings of the side rails. Bush for full-floating pins, and off to the Sunnen Power-Stroke rod honing machine. Light was Right!.
    PC
    Tiny E,
    The difference, knurling and reaming was basically screw-threading the valve guide to
    .343 (11/32"), and reaming to size, usually with a .344 reamer. Advantage, added oil in the valve guide (more lubrication), and less friction, as material was removed. Typically part of a valve job, when the guides are partially worn, and also utilized in competition valve jobs.
    Not expensive, approximiately $1.50-$2.00/guide.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  17. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Thanks for the interest Tom (CC Voice)----Please introduce yourself at York--I'll be with the '69 W31. I tried to contact Von Sholley in Vegas a while back but came up empty. A good friend of mine did make contact with him ( supposedly in MD) and is trying to stir up some interest in his photos. I'm hoping he has and is willing to share some pics of Anderson's cars.

18. BadNews

BadNews

Love the way your '66 2 door sedan leaves! Is it a Biscayne or a Bel Air?
    I assume it's a P/Stock, 283-220 hp, 4 speed car. I'd like to talk further in detail about what you've done to the suspension. I have a '66 Bel Air I drive on the street occasionally, take to shows and once in a while take to the nostalgia drags. My best ET is an 11.639 - 114.10 mph with a 60' time of 1.635. This was through a full street exhaust system and on M/T ET Street Radials. It has stock suspension (other than shocks and no front sway bar). My e-mail address is : [email protected].

19. BadNews

BadNews

I'll second that! Hey, Colsey. Any pictures of the candy emerald green '66 Biscayne 2 door B/Stock of Richard Feldman from E. Liverpool, Ohio ?
    It had a rear license plate that said: 425 HP. Very cool junior stocker. I remember seeing it at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ .... possibly the Summer Nationals. It later went to Super Stock, then went to a 283 combo. Later went to an Impala. :confused:

20. BadNews

BadNews

Colsey, do you have any pictures of another car out of Truppi's Sunoco station in Greenbrook, NJ (before he had the shop down the road from the gas station) belonging to Jerry Stinner ? It was yellow and tan with some metalflake. Prettier looking than my description. I think it ran R/S or something.

21. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Just thought I'd add this pic of a 1966 GS conv...this car had an 11:to 1 engine from the factory...L76 code A9 ran out of PA...

Attached Files:

22. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Here is another pic of the 1966 Buick GS...

Attached Files:

23. BadNews

BadNews

Jerry Stinner had a 1955 Chevy 2 door sedan (with the post) around 1968 or 1969 if I remember correctly. May have been 1970 ?

24. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Jimmy,
    Those 11.0-1 66' Buick GS photos are out there.
    I'll post one from 1967, out of Les Cadres, Canada, a 66' Buick GS running in SS/EA.
    A posting of 1288 is on the window, can't tell if its a car number or 12.88 ET.
    It may have been the minimum ET...? Which would have been in the ballpark.
    Paul

25. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Hey Paul...that would be great I'd love to see that car.!! Here is a 1966 Buick Skylark GS, owned by Samson Buick co. of Pittsburgh Pa. The photo was taken late Aug. or Sept. 1966, and appered in the 66 year book of Pittsburgh International Dragway as the car was doing well in the points at the time... I talked to Jim last week... he Built the car and lettered it... I'm going to build a 66 GS tribute car...I am waiting on some nice clean detailed pics of this car...there just isnt one done so I'm going to be the first to do one...

26. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Here is the pic of Jim Schwardon car..I wish I had it!!!!

Attached Files:

27. motorsent

motorsent
    from eastern Pa

Wow,

Thanks for posting the C&G Buick pictures. this sure brings back memories.
    I was allowed to fill out the order sheet for the 66 GS. I ordered a conv., beacuse it fit into D/SA with the 332 hp motor.With the motor blueprinted it ran a best of 13.29 at York Pa. At the time the record I think was around 13.40.

It was great to be able to race with the dealer paying the expenses.

Thanks again
    Butch Sentner

28. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Wow Butch, I just Sent you an email.... here is another one that I have tracked down...this car ran in Malden Mass...its a Post sedan with the 11:to1 engine....This car was run by Ed Whyte...I have also talked to him about this car... I'm gathering Info on 1966 Buick GS's that ran in NHRA...

Awesome stuff
    Jim Shiels

Attached Files:

29. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Jimmy,
    I checked the photo. 1967 in Canada. Definitely SS/EA, as in the opposite lane
    a 67' GTX 440, also in SS/EA.
    As for 1966 Buick GS (weights).
    #3520 lbs, for a coupe 3520 ~ 332HP = 10.60 wt/hp. Falls right on the D/S
    weight break minimum for 1966. Hardtops and convertibles ran the same class.
    In 1967, all NHRA classes got bumped up, so the 66' Buicks would be classed in
    C/S, or could run in SS/E (9.49 wt/hp and above).
    1968 weight breaks changed to an easier .50 range. and the 66' Buick GS cars got
    re-classed to F/S. In 1969, they got upped to G/S or SS/J (the last S/S class for that year), if you can find a photo of one.

On that Smyly Buick. The special 400/340HP engines put those cars up one class, into
    C/SA. The hardtops which weighed #3546 ~ 340 = 10.42 wt/hp (C/S) for 1966.
    PC

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  30. The66GSNut

The66GSNut

Paul,

Can you post a pic of that 66 GS raced in Canada?