Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best wiring harness for the $$$

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroys85coupe, Jun 12, 2010.

1. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

Just like the title says. wondering what the best is for the dollars. ive seen some from ezwiringharness.com that are like 185 dollars. is it worth it or is painless the only route

2. i pulled one from a 77 chevelle and used it. All you need is the schematic from the car you pull it from and rewire yours

3. Harris

Harris

First do a search.

4. metal man

metal man

Yep, this subject has been beat to death on here .

5. barnescole

barnescole

i used ron francis on my first project. i used ezwiring on my second, AND then ezwiring again on my most recent. the ezwire or rebelwire kits are a better "bargain" in my opinion. 500 or more for wiring is a bit silly to me. If you've never tackled a complete rewire, then something like the ron francis kit may be a good idea.

6. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i've put 2 Painless kits on my cars. i got them on ebay cheap. i also helped a buddy install an ez wiring kit. the instructions and diagram sucked. had to use the painless diagram to install the ez. once you get familiar with wiring you can install any Co wiring kit.

try Rebel wiring. there an Alliance vendor.

http://www.rebel-wire.com/

7. I got the EZ kit for $185, it's not installed as yet but looks a 'no brainer'
    The quality looks good and for the price I can't see past it.
    I'm looking forward to installing it.

8. I've wired 2 cars in my life & used the EZ kit on each..... & I know nothing about wiring a car.

If I can do it with EZ's half-assed diagram, anyone can.

I'll go with a Rebel kit for my '32 - because they are an Alliance vendor.

JH

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Many years ago (about 30 now) I bought a wiring harness for a 56 Chevrolet from J.C. Whitney. I still have it, unused, still in the original box, with the "instructions", such as they are; it is marked, "Made in Brazil". ALL the wires are red, no markings of any kind, they have light sockets and terminals, and are wrapped with black tape in the appropriate areas. But, ALL THE WIRES ARE RED! Unless you're someone who has the right testing equipment, are real bored, and have a lot of patience, it's a worthless wiring kit. The instructions are also worthless, maybe more so. So, why did I keep it? I thought one day, I would give it a go. But, it was fairly cheap. Why did I post this? Well, you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, that's why. Butch/56sedandelivery. ALL THE WIRES ARE RED!!!!!

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Rebel or ez wire for cost.
    American Autowire for ease.

11. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Why would you pay for something that quite often is too small of guage of wire for what your doing, most cars don't need a whole lot of fancy wireing unless you go with later computer equipement, so whay not wire it your self. I've cut out and thrown away two painless kits that were as close to useless as you could get, but someone looks like thye tried to adapt them to something they should not have.

12. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

i was thinking of goin with the ez kit on my car. i had a buddy use it when he tried to wire his monte, he never got the car done though. for some reason he yanked all the wiring out of a 86 monte???????? no a very smart feller. but i think i can handle it lol

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

My experience;
    EZ, alright quality, instructions suck. all rite customer service but never again.

Ron Francis, good quality, great inst. spendy for what you get, great customer service. Been years since last one installed.

American Auto Wire, great quality, great inst., fair price, great customer service. Use them alot!

Rebel Wire, good quality, not so good inst., good customer service, fair price BUT is basic kit, great if you already have a key switch, headlight sw., dimmer sw., will still need connectors, head lite plugs, etc. Would use again on "simpler" builds.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Rebel Wire... great harness, great price...

I will never use a painless again.

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hot Rod Wire. Good product and great customer service.

16. EZ is good. Don't make your own, takes too much time. The parts will come close to EZ's price anyway.

That being said, I'll check out Rebel next time, 'cuz they support us.

17. rebel wire, best bang for the buck

18. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

X2 :)

Bobbyd

19. oface

oface

I wired my F-100 with a Rebel wire kit, worked out just fine. You can't buy the wire for what you pay for the kit. I'd use Rebel again in a heartbeat. Good stuff.

20. Karl Fields

Karl Fields

.x3

21. Not related @ all but I'll toss it out.....

When I lived in Cali, my little brother did something that burned the wiring out of my '32. All of it. Before I came home one for a visit, at 18 years old, having NEVER worked on a car, he rewired the SOB in 2 days with a roll of red wire.

I felt for the poor guy that I eventually traded with. :p

Go with Rebel or EZ. No need to spend huge $$$ on a wiring kit. Anyone can do it.

JH

22. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

rebel- easy and glenn is a great help

23. Do Good Jr.

Do Good Jr.
    from texas

I am wiring my f-100 with a ez-wiring kit . very painless and alot cheaper!

24. Gator

Gator

The little Speedster I just bought had very basic wiring - lights, turn signals, etc. Every inch of it was white.

I've bought several projects where the majority of the wiring was one color - even had a few that had romex or residential 110 wiring. I now just plan on rewiring anything I buy.

Back on topic, I've used several EZ wire harnesses, good stuff.

25. daddyo23

daddyo23

I talked with Bob and he was very helpful. Very happy with the kit.

26. Onelow34

Onelow34

Get ahold of glenn

27. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I have put in two of these. Only thing that could make them better was to label the fuse box.

28. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

very good debate guys. ima long ways away from wiring. probably wait til next tax time and get some stuff then. but still very good. i appriciate it so much

29. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Why not go through the car one circuit at a time and figure out exactly what circuits you need and how much of what gauge wire you need for it. Figure what ends you will need for the wires and keep careful count of them.
    Many large cities have places that sell surplus wire..Some of it is aircraft wire which usually has Teflon insulation. (does not burn).
    In lieu of that buy just enough wire to do the job plus a saftey margin.
    Most cars can be wired from scratch for under $75.
    If you are restoring a car to original, none of this applies.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  30. Harris & metal man.

Just click out if you don't want to participate.

I too am looking for a good wiring kit.
    The more info and input on the HAMB. The better...