Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 ford shoebox steering wheel question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Nov 26, 2007.

1. i won't have my Crestliner steering wheel back from recast till Feb. The question I have is,will i need to get a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel from the column. Sorry if sound a little dumb , but the past cars i have worked on haven't needed a puller , and a friend said i may need a puller on this one. Let me know , thanks

2. Dutchoven

Dutchoven
    from Reno, NV.

Yep, get a puller.

Blake

3. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

when i pulled the wheel off of my 51 i needed a puller. id say your better off getting one

4. Potter

Potter

ditto. puller.

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

Loosen the nut just enough to make it flush with the top of the shaft. Have someone pull up on the steering wheel keeping constant pressure on it. With a small block of wood or other material placed on the nut, give it a sharp rap with a hammer and it will pop loose. Don't forget to move the horn wire out of the way, usually push it down inside the shaft.

6. flathead4d

flathead4d

PS. Send me the Crestliner steering wheel as payment for the above tip. LOL

7. LOL! thanks for the info guys !

8. Gerg

Gerg

use a puller or your risk losing your teeth when the wheel pops you one in the face when it lets go. Sometimes you can get them from autozone one of the tool rental places......

9. Willy59

Willy59

make a puller with 2 bolts and some scrap metal plates, thats how i got my shoebox wheel off without paying a cent. :D