Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy 3100 AD Questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low50s, Jun 9, 2010.

1. low50s

low50s

I am doing tear down of my 54 Chevy AD and getting to a point where I need to ask these questions.

1st, In the truck im taken apart it has a good dash. I would like to remove the dash so I can install the dash into a 3/4 ton that I am restoring back to org. question is. what would be the best way to remove the dash from the pickup. I have removed all the parts around the dash but i beleve the dash itself is welded onto the cowl is this correct? otherwise i thought about using a cutoff wheel and cutting along the dash so i can remove it. but i dont want to do something if i am going to ruin the dash.

2nd. Engine Mounts, does anyone know where i can find a mount kit for a sbc into this truck? I know LMC makes a "v8 swap kit" with just the engine mounts for about $150 the 3100 is a budget build so I am trying to avoid much cost, I dont know if any of the venders on here make there own kit, but any help would be great!!

Here are some pictures. be gental please lol. and Yes i know the cab is on backwards because when we were loading it up out of the weeds and mud this was the fastest way to get it on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the floor is really rough from the seat forward. I have a bunch of street signs that i got for free, that i am going to measure, mark, then use a brake, and bend the angles making new floors . kick pannels. and toe bords with the signs. i want to keep the transmission hump the same because it is really strong still but as you can tell from the pictures, the rest of the floor is SHOT

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Agree on the spot welds, its a big project. I've only removed the dash as cabs I was scrapping making it possible to remove everything around them with a sawzall. Not a good approach if you're trying to save the cab.

I doubt you'll find the crossmembers much cheaper than $150 unless unless you catch them on sale somewhere.

3. low50s

low50s

Yes signs are real heavy gauge aluminum thats why i used them, because they will never rust. I am going to rivit them into the cab. I think that may be way too time consuming for what i am going to be doing with the truck, it would be great to save it from one truck so i can use it on the one that I am puting back to org. but may be more than its worth.

4. low50s

low50s

is there any way to remove the torque tube from the stock rear without having it leak fluid? I want to remove it so i can get custom driveshaft made. if i cant remove the torque tube then i have a rear end out of a 56 ford pickup I may have to stick it in, i would just like to use what i have if possable.

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I'd just use the Ford rear.