Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration *******EL VIERNES ARTE SHOW*********(friday art show)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNRacer

MNRacer

Pat,

Here's my .02 cents on the computer thing....

I had been working as an illustrator for nearly 20 years before the first mac was brought into our studio (about '93-'94). Like most of us, I felt it was an abomination and wanted nothing to do with the things. So, I kept on doing my traditional deal until a funny thing happened, the guys (and gals) that bothered to learn the basics were starting to get the majority of the assignments, so at that point I had to either get with the program or find another line of work. So I reluctantly got on with it and the rest is history. I guess that makes me a sellout of sorts.

One other observation, I've worked with some incredibly talented artists over the years, and the good traditional ones were still good (or sometimes even better) using the mac as a rendering tool...the mediocre folks stayed as such, because as expected, the electronic box wasn't capable of producing any more creativity than the person running the "controls"...ya still gotta know how to draw.

Bottom line, computer rendering is still "not the same" as old school painting with acrylics, or inking by hand, etc...kind of like driving a 327 Corvette and then a Prius, the motor skills required to operate them are about the same...but there's just "something" missing...know what I mean?

When I "retire" I fully intend to go back to traditional media...keep those real brushes flying!

–Mark

2. Here we go...
    My favorite day of the week !!!!!!!!!!!
    rocket8 found a 54 Olds that somebody got started on and stopped that was in a bone yard in Cali... I think he paid $300 for it.
    I had to draw it. It has the most interesting chop....
    Here you go. :D:D
    pic and adobe... sorry for the crap scanner resolution...

Attached Files:

3. WOW! You rule! Thanks for hooking us up with such killer art.

4. Great stuff everybody!

Lozeau, slaying it as always, brother!

5. WhateverWeber

WhateverWeber

Hey.......better late than never.....well maybe.:confused:
    Either way...I'm in!:D

Happy Friday!

[​IMG]

6. Hinson

Hinson
    from Md

Ah yes, and this is the reason I stopped posting here as often. My camera is my tool, just as your brush is yours. We are both talented in our own right. I dare say that many if not most of the 'brush' artists here would have absolutely no idea how to set up camera and lights for a photo shoot but they can take a brush and create an image that is perfectly lit.

So, lets just enjoy the great artwork here and as my mammy used to say "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

7. Herdez

Herdez

I'm new to computer art but once your hooked your hooked so heres couple of photos I snapped at local car shows. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

A couple Trophy's for ///Relaxing in So-Cal this weekend at Alpine Electronics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Another idea for newbies and anyone else who just read the last post or two before joining the fray..............Go back and read the original post and take it in context. I realize that's a novel take on things, but if you take the time to see where the quote originally came from, you'll understand, as it's been pointed out, that the remark you take offense to was aimed at some people the man works with, not any artists on this site. Thin skin must suck............

10. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Whaterweber- That's just plain bitchin! I like it!!!

11. Joe515

Joe515

A little pinstriping and gold leaf for my dad.

Attached Files:

12. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

MNRacer, Stroupedesign: Neither one of you has said anything which warrants anyone getting bent out of shape. If anyone is just here to enjoy the art and is inclined to take a "digital VS traditional" conversation among artists out of context and feel defensive, please don't read what I have to say. I mean no disrespect to anyone and I hate being taken the wrong way.

I agree with both your comments and have experienced the same industry dynamics. I use digital means to work out my compositions so I can execute in traditional media. And then like all of us convert back to digital means to post on this forum and to promote my work.

I also work in an industry where I see what real artists do with digital technology. Static and interactive art pieces that are so captivating the viewer really doesn't get caught up in how it was made, they just react. Both you guys fall into that category - as do many on this Friday forum. Great artists always have a way of transcending the medium to hold the viewer's attention.

So to me, it's not about the medium, it's about the ideas behind the art. Yes there are some really easy filters you can run photos and drawings through on a computer to get some exciting results and digital photography is making it easier for civilians to create some nice images, but when it comes to art the problem isn't with artists but the buying public.

While it's been my experience that most artists are open to digital technology, it's also my experience that art collectors and the general buying public are slow to appreciate anything made digitally. I'm not making accusations, just a observation of fact when I say that digital art and photography are often times viewed as the ugly step children in the family of art. Again, not my view but the public's. Simply because these mediums are perceived to be "easy" if you know how to operate a computer or digital camera. I'll tell you who has it tough getting respect these days - fine art photographers. Since the advancement of digital cameras, the magic of timed exposures, light meter readings and print developing is gone.

So the real issue is how to change customer perception of the value of art created with digital means? The only answer is for digital artists to create great art and to keep trying until the public slowly appreciates the work and thinking behind it. Or wait it out until the next generation of hot rodders who grew up in a totally digital world get old and start buying art for their walls.

Tattoo artists and pinstripers are the fortunate ones. They will never have this problem.

Keep the faith,
    Bo

13. Let's not use the art show as a forum for debate, rather, for art.
    Please feel free to continue the debate on the F.A.S.T. Group
    forum or in PMs.

Photographers, all your work kicks serious butt this week.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  14. I drew this one 20 years ago, t shirt art from BC (Before Computers)
    [​IMG]

15. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Such cool work! Inspiring to say the least. Here is my offering...Patches for an M.C. made up of local Firefighters. Hope to have more to post next week.

[​IMG]

16. Great roadster Steve V!

I drew this on the computer...

[​IMG]

17. great work Charlie!!
    1- shot slinger -really nice.
    Da Tinman- really clean work!
    stickylifter- cool!
    Dutch Courage- i love the flathead!
    MNRacer- great painting
    J CRUZ-i really like your work!

18. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Some work from today. I'm one of those brush slingers but my day job is working with the computer.
    [​IMG]

19. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

Exactly what I was thinking.

The FAST group died out a lot, but there is plenty of room there to talk about all this stuff - in fact I love talking about this stuff which is why I created that place.

IMO the Friday Art Show is a holy place where only good things are to be shown and complemented. That's it.

Take your debate to FAST or Motorburg or something.....

~Bro

20. vonB

vonB

Kind of timely for my first post here. Without belaboring an interesting discussion, these images are offspring of a (not CAD) 3D model I started a while back for fun. It's a lot different than I started and am planning on seeing how I can get different aesthetic images and learn stuff with it. Eventually I will be done with it. Its a technical and aesthetic thing for me. Its been eating up too much time too. I don't know if I consider all 3 images art, but they show a process, and this is a work in process.

John von Buelow

Attached Files:

21. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Another great show from everyone...here's a truck I lettered last week.
    [​IMG]

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This is a Traditional HOT ROD and CUSTOM site.
    This topic comes up from time to time.
    Lets focus on the great work from all our contributers and FOCUS on HOTROD & CUSTOM ART PERIOD.

We are fortunate enuff to show our stuff once a week.

Please keep that in mind.:)

23. spinman

spinman
    from new jersey

These are 1:2 scale boards (48X12) 1 inch thick, made of maple (board), walnut (stripes) and oak (fin). The 8" Cross is carved 1/2" deep. The surfer is 1:24 scale which I found on fleabay. I painted him up zombie-style and kustomized his board to match the biggies..

More pics at : http://hangtenkustoms.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  24. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Something a little different.:D

[​IMG]

25. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Acrylic
    [​IMG]

Watercolor
    [​IMG]

Graphite[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digital
    [​IMG]

3D Model
    [​IMG]

I do oil too...when I change the filter on the 40! :D

Great show Boys n Girls!

26. customcory

customcory

Hey Todd J , Tom davidson, Unkl Ian, I appreciate the compliments, everybody has great stuff as usual. This is the kind of drawing I might use later , or I might throw it in the pile, THanks Andy for putting it on, can you imagine a street legal rear engined T and A going down the road?!:D

27. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I am about 1800 miles into my roadtrip in the van,and havent had time to really knock out anything for the art show due to traveling.

There is a thread here if you haven't seen it
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481815

Jason and his son Rhys where in the booth with me during the power tour, and little Rhys was a huge trooper and a future gear head. I volunteered to do a portrait for them to remember the one week roadtrip together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Britt8M

Britt8M

Good Friday, All you great artists!
    Here are few older pieces. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

insane art as usual everyone incuded. As for the rant let me say this. The computer and digital camera are simply just artistic tools just like the pencil or paintbrush.
    Well done and kudos to all the artists here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.