Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Garage hosts 68/69 NHRA World Champ Bennie "The Wizard" Osborn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Saturday night, June 5th, Sand Springs, Ok...

After several months of restoration and 42 years after outrunning all the big name racers of the day (and winning the World Championship with this same car), Bennie Osborn lit up the night sky with an awesome cackle session for some 250 guests, friends, and old racer buddies.

This is the original 1968 Championship car now owned by John Neas of Tulsa, Ok.

What was simply going to be a test fire prior to the cars appearance at the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green, Ky. this month grew into quite an event itself. Sitting in the seat was "The Wizard's" grandson Ben Osborn, who operated the throttle while history repeated itself...and the champ roared to life again.

We are currently trying to figure out how to post the video...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Nice flame show. It'll be a hit at Bowling Green. Can't wait.

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

KOOL! I guess only the west side guy's new that this was going to happen.:(

4. MarcG

MarcG
    from The OC

It's great to see this car finally restored. It will be a big hit at the National Hot Rod Reunion. I hope they bring it out to Bakersfield in October.

5. unklgriz

unklgriz

Thanks Larry! There is nothing like seeing the candles lit! Damn I miss the late night runs.......

Larry

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

damn
    i need to find my 68 world finals t shirt new in plastic bag.was there with gene carter tulsa 68 world finals, too bad i cant still fit into it-size medium

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What did they do to restore it? looks just like it did when Mike Guffey sold it to Ralph. It is a wonderful car I love it.

8. Man! I was there in '68. I must be getting old. Neat deal!

9. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

Very cool pictures. It reminds me of when Bob Creitz used to block traffic on Admiral across from the grave yard and roll his fuel dragster out in the four lane and push start it after a rebuild. I guess it was before the blower drive electric starters but we would take our girl friends down there to watch them get the fresh motor fired up and set the timing. Anything to try to impress the chicks. It usually happened right about dusk and the flames standing off the headers was as we used to say "Bitchin". Then it was back to Pennington's drive inn for a Soda to wash out the Nitro fumes and to have some of that wonderful fried shrimp or a burger and fries. Those were the days.

Congratulations to John Neas. John, remember when you used to drive your black 1962 409 Biscane to class in Stillwater? Dual Four barrels and cold weather don't really go together.

You've come a long way. You have to grow old but you don't have to grow up. lol

Lost_N_Austin

10. BenOsborn

BenOsborn

Thank you for posting these pictures Jim, they turned out great! Thank you again, for letting us use your facility1

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

now how cool is that? Hamb converts another one...

12. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Man That thing is Bitchen!
    FRITZ

13. John Neas

John Neas

Mike,
    I went five winters with 2-4bbls and no choke. The 270 & 409 ran rich enough that starting wasn't a problem. Traction in snow was a challenge. I remember using your Forgetrue piston with Dykes ring as an ashtray. It was a wounded piston out of Bob Creitz's last Oldsmobile nitro engine.

Below is a recent picture of Bennie and Bob looking at a new addition of mine. It is Jimmy Nix's first AA/TF dragster. Winner of the 1966 NHRA Springnationals at Bristol.

Also a couple of pictures of the 409. One is at the first NHRA Finals in Tulsa, 1965.

Regards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Thank you John for posting those pics! I was there with Ted McCord at your shop when that pic was taken of Bennie and Bob...you got some neat toys John. Larry

15. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I used to own a Nix car a couple of years ago, I should be shot for selling it! My mom went to school with Benny in the day & I would get to meet him at the track when I was a kid here in Tulsa. I have an old Hot Rod magazine with a centerfold of the Wizard car.

16. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Soooooo cool! I almost delayed my vacation to come see it. Looks great. Still amazed at all of the T-Town legends and talent.

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

John, welcome and good to see you post here as well including the pics. You certainly have a few cars that would be appreciated on the HAMB. Hopefully you can post on occasion regarding some of your good stuff-Jim

18. John Neas

John Neas

[​IMG]

The cover for the 1968 NHRA World Finals might be considered predestination as Bennie had won the 1967 World Finals and the NHRA photographer Leslie Lovett asked Bennie, after an Amarillo meet, to repeatedly run the engine (many tank refills of nitro) to get this picture for the 1968 Finals program. He did win the championship again. Bennie lost the crank and bearing due to too much dilution of nitro in the oil after the lengthy photo session. Picture priceless!!!!

Regards.

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thanks for posting this Larry.
    Saw the car at the TTA reunion last November, now I can't wait to hear it at Bowling Green.

Tim

20. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

John: Thanks for posting those pictures. I can't believe it was 27 years ago when I helped you put your cars in the scene for that S.E. Hinton movie being shot in Tulsa.

We had to get your '62 out of mothballs and you drove it out to the Admiral Twin drive inn theater and I drove your black '57 Belaire. I can't remember which movie it was, either The Outsiders or Rumble Fish, as both were made one right after the other. I don't think the cars ever ended up in the finished movie scenes. The movies were shot in 1983 all over Tulsa and I got to see several scenes being shot. Pretty boring stuff right up until they yell "Action".

Mike aka Lost_N_Austin

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock