Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Power tour 10, who's going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer-Ed, May 25, 2010.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

YES - lets try to meet sometime Friday night.....

I have never been there - so dont know any distinguishing landmarks on the site

2. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

we will arrive in Pella late friday. We could do a sat meeting? I'm sure more people will be there then?

3. The routes look great so I am trying to cruise the to Chatanooga in the lil Nova or the Yellow Tub. Going to turn some wrenches on them right now.

4. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

I attended a Route 66 Festival just 2-3 years ago and it was downtown. I'm guesssing there was 6-750 cars at it. I don't think 3-4000 will show - but that WOULD be cool if it did turn out that big. We'll see I guess.

5. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

We will be there fri/sat...cruizen in little car & the wagon....would love to meet more HAMB ers.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there in a 1956 New Yorker, white over red. I used to live in Newton, will arrive sometime mid afternoon on Friday. Wear your HAMB T-shirts so we can meet/greet as we roam around the events. If anyone wants to meet, probably the easiest place would be the square right in the center of town. Can't miss it, the county courthouse sits in the middle of the square, with businesses on all four sides. If you're looking for eats, I'd recommend the Maid-Rite for lunch or dinner, and the Snook Inn for breakfast. They are side by side, about a block west of the square on 1st Avenue, south side of the street. Newton is (was?) one hell of a great little town. The Maytag company was founded there, and until just recently had operations there. In the early years they made gasoline engines to power their washing machines, since the REA had not yet delivered power to many of the farms across the country. I have both a one cylinder and a two cylinder of these engines, both in running condition. And little be it known, but Maytag also used to make cars, and they were top notch vehicles. On the second link below there is a picture of a Maytag with 8 people in the car, driving upa 50% grade. I have a friend in Lenexa, KS that has a beautifully restored one, check it out at this link:

http://www.tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/GeorgeHess/Index.htm

More info on Maytag cars here:

http://www.maytagclub.com/page-30.htm

There is also one in the Jasper County hsitorical Museum, near the west I80 exit and Iowa Highway 14, so if you have a bit of extra time the museum is pretty interesting. During the war the Maytag factories were converted to producing tank tracks for the war effort. The Maytag Dairy still is in operation on the north side of town, so if you like bleu cheese you absolutely need to stop in there and pick up a chunk, it's EXCELLENT!!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

The problem with Saturday is that everyone is gonna be leaving.........Newton to Springfiled is not a short trip

318 miles

I suspect most people will be taking off outta there in the morning and by noon Newton will be a ghost town.

At least a 6 hour drive for most folks on that first leg..........probably more like 7.5

Also - Friday night is official party (this is from the site):

Arrive in town ahead of schedule and join us for a night on the town on June 4th for the "Cruise In" sponsored by the Greater Newton Area Chamber of Commerce and its partners. After you park your "cruiser" around the historic Jasper County Courthouse square, stroll around to shop or to visit the local automotive merchants that are looking forward to hearing about your tour, as well as the local food and beverage vendors ready to whet your appetite

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coolstuff, you're gonna be getting to Springfield a day early if you leave on Saturday. The registration packet I got in the mail says that the tour leaves for Springfield SUNDAY AM. This agrees with the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour web site info as well. The kickoff party is Friday night, and all day Saturday is a party at the Iowa Speedway.

And 318 miles is a short trip.......

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

I had plans to go to Bowling Green and join up.. But I can't get away from work. You know work the thing you do when you are not working on or driving cars.Well it pays the bills. Have fun and be safe.....

10. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

ME AND THE WIFE WILL BE IN CHATTANOOGA(WHERE WE LIVE), DONT THINK THE FLATTIE WILL ALLOW US TO MAKE IT FUTHER. HOPE TO SEE YA'LL AT CHATTANOOGA STATE AND AT HONEST CHARLIES.

THIS IS WHAT WE WILL BE IN HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU.
    [​IMG]

11. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Trailer-Ed and TheCrustyRat I'll try to be at Chattanooga state have fun guys and be safe

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

cant make it after all............basement is soaked - carpet ruined - my weekend -

in the basement.

fun fun -

Have fun watching all the rides roll out!

Wish I could be there.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

318 Divided by 70MPH, real conservative speed for power Tour participants, would be 4 1/2 hours. ;)

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yes 4-5 hours should be no problem see you guys when you get to Springfield

15. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

iam bringing my 55 f100 for its first time out at the birmingham stop...c yall there

16. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I'll be in Mobile with the roadster...if it and weather both cooperate, we've had major thunderstorms every day here...

17. skirtless33

skirtless33

THE 2007 Power Tour in Springfield reportedly had 3000 cars.

18. 6mopar7

6mopar7

Looking forward to see The Tour pull into Chattanooga next Wednesday @ Chattanooga State College. Wow, can't wait !

John :D

19. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

Just seen the 40 headin south on 67 just north of Rushville IL..The one time I like livein by a highway is when stuff like this is goin on :)

20. bob cutler

bob cutler

Seen the oliver bros and alot of others i was parked along 380 just south of crawfordsville iowa waved at alot of people. Awsome display of cars.

21. carmak

carmak

Our club set up Sunday morning at the Hills, Iowa overpass on HWY 218 and waved for a couple hrs. The photog from Mothers wax took out pic and posted it on their site.

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

Attached Files:

22. out plowing

out plowing

Wow Sounds like fun wish i could be out on the road with you all.

23. 6mopar7

6mopar7

Great gathering at Chatt State Comm College yesterday for the PR coming thru Chattanooga. Rainy & humid till mid afternoon, but a huge turn out ! I am so glad I got the old Plym out of the garage & went.

Last night a block party was held in downtown Chatt by Coker Tire. One tourer told that was best part of the tour for him so far.

John :)

24. BigRed390

BigRed390

I was there last night with a friend who's not an old car fan at all. He likes new shiny foreign things that turn corners and cost a fortune. We saw you leaving the field you were parked in (after it rained like crazy) and the first words out of his mouth were "That thing is awesome! I want one!" Love your truck! Hope to see it around more! Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places... :confused:

Anyway, last night was a blast. The museum was awe inspiring. I walked around with goosebumps for an hour or so. Saw Mr. Frieburger, camera in hand, walking around with Mr. Coker himself. I was fortunate enough to be in the room when they cranked that old black indy car with the straight 8 in it. Sounded "healthy" to put it mildly. :D All in all a great time.

25. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

Thanks for the comment on the truck. It wasnt fun going home, we got blown all or the interstate and the got off to go through redbank. All was good until the redlight changed and hit the brakes 360 through the light. I cant wait til i get that ticket and pic sent to me. There is a cruise in at advanced in soddy at 5 til whenever if you come out stop in and say hi. I liked the after party at honest also met stacy david there man he is a cool guy. Told him i liked the sharpie he put all over the bandit car lol.

26. 6mopar7

6mopar7

For all you guys that happen to be FaceBook members, Coker Tire posted a video of the tour leaving Chattanooga this morning & the set of 183 still photos are at this link below. Go back to the Coker Tire page & see the video posted earlier Thrusday evening.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=173287&id=46500852991

A buddy who was driving north on Hwy 27 this morning from Rock Spring, GA met the tour headed south bound & he said it was wonderful sight to see that line of cars going on for miles headed south.

Enjoy!

27. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I got back home late sat night. The 40 performed almost flawlessly, just a few minor glitches. There were at least 2500-3000 cars at every stop. It was mind blowing cruising with 3000 cars on the US back roads. I plan to down load some pics today to post. I met several HAMBers along the way as well. The wife and I pretty well ran on our own the whole trip, which was nice so we could stop and leave any time we liked. Keokuk, IA really had a nice welcoming party,thanks! The old 40 also suprised more than 1 new Vette/ Camaro owners to say the least. The USS Alabama was awsome! I also want to appolojize for the thread on the fatility, it was meant to get sympathy to the family, and spread the word of a lost hotrodder, not start a pissing match and get people upset. For that I am sorry. I will try and keep my opinions and theorys, and hearsay to my self. But again please pray for the fallen driver/ his son, and family. I will post pics later. Rusty.

28. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

I've read a little on the head on crash. All one can do is pray for the family if that's something you do. Fun tour, just can't stop think about someone not coming home from it.

29. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

The "Family Truxter" cracks me up every time I see it!!! Was also cool seeing the "Magnitude" actually driving, even in the rain!!!!