Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ?? 53 Chevy panel rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UncleHarley, Jun 10, 2010.

1. UncleHarley

UncleHarley

My 53 Chevy 3800 1 ton panel appears to not have its original drive shaft as the one in it now is not enclosed. I am curious about the rear end.... how do I tell what it is, if it is original, etc. I am trying to identify it... thinking of putting something different in with a little better gear ratio for better highway speeds. Also, when I did drive it at around 50 mph, I experienced a horrible vibration and banging from the back.... probably u-joints?? I am learning as I go... and need knowledge and advice.

2. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

If it is a one ton truck they had open drive line the 1/2 ton had a closed drive line.

3. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The original rear axle would be an Eaton HO72 with 5.14 gears and an OPEN driveline.

Parts to rebuild it have become expensive and there are only two alternative gearsets available. 4.57 and 4.11.

However I know people who have looked for a 4.11 set for years without success.

I replaced the rear under one of mine with a GM 14-bolt with 3.42 gears. I got that rear from under another 1-ton that the PO had quit driving because with those gears the 216 would no longer move a load. Since I'm swapping a Cadillac 500 into mine I'm not worried about that.

4. UncleHarley

UncleHarley

Thank you both. I suppose I could get by with the 5.14 gears as I intend to be using the truck in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas... with no particular need for speed... and might even like having the climbing power. I do need to trouble shoot the serious vibration and banging. Is there a way to diagnose the cause. How do I check my u-joints? Could it be the bearing I see supporting the drive shaft? Is it likely anything in the rear end? I would appreciate all comments.

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I'd start by crawling underneath and shaking and turning things in the driveline. Anything that moves very far isn't right.

6. UncleHarley

UncleHarley