Register now to get rid of these ads!

BAD deal from Summit racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sk_rodz, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. summit has alway been good to deal with

2. ratt7

ratt7

Bad break, Summit has always been straight with me and I continue to deal with them, call them anyways and see what can be done.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Good advice to you is to "cowboy up"

I bought a portable air conditioner. Took it home and turned it on. It ran for about twenty seconds before the compressor seized up. Then I read the instructions and the tag on the box that said "Don't lay this thing on its side and, if you do, wait for 24 hours before starting it". It was my fuckup. I owned it. I didn't even try to return it. I ordered another and wheeled the broken one into storage for spare parts.

Own your mistakes and treat them as learning experiences.

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Maybe you should buy one of these.

[​IMG]

5. I don't think anybody got a bad deal except Summit

emailing them this thread?

6. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Summit have done nothing wrong and have nothing to address.
    Looks like everyone but the OP understands he's at fault and not Summit.
    I'm never using my local ice cream parlour again,I ordered chocolate and then realised I meant to order Bubblegum,ate it and then the bastards wouldn't give me my money back.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree.

Assuming that someone you talked to on the phone knew exactly what vehicle you were talking about when you called.
    Or possibly not knowing which bolt pattern that you had on the car and assuming that it was the same as small GM which is 5 on 4-3/4 instead of five on five.
    Not going on line and looking up the exact part number for the wheels that you wanted and not checking the fitment before having the wheels mounted. Three mistakes on your part right there. Last mistake, pointing your finger at someone else for your obvious mistakes.

8. I'd send those wheels back asap! With the way that Summit has expanded into tool catalogs, motorcycle parts, etc., the should be out of business any day now.:p

I recently bought a set of wheels that were just released from Cragar. The wheels were a little hard to get because they were just put into production. Summit was simply not interested in going the extra mile to procure an early set for me, so I called Jegs and they bent over backwards.

Seems to me that Jegs is more in tune with the grassroots gearheads, so they get all my business. Summit used to be that way back in the '90s, especially with bracket racers. Now they seem to want to be the walmart of car parts- all things to all people. We've all seen it time and again- when you try to get your hands into everything, you end up being good at nothing. I really wish they'd get back to being the best at the core gearhead business that put them on the map in the first place, and forget all that other nonsense.

Not sure what this has to do with this thread, just sayin'.....:D

9. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

That would have made this thread a lot shorter.

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Always had great success with Summit over here in the UK(yes,even a set of 5x5 vintiques)good price,fast shipping.Of course I try follow the 'measure twice cut once' philosopy.
    But I think the OP is probably outa this thread by now.
    Paul

11. dsr_54

dsr_54

I had a problem with a Wheel I ordered from Summit. Both wheels had the same part number, but one was boxed wrong from the factory. With all the stickers all over the box I thought I better check these, and found the mistake before mounting the tires. Summit was great to work with I needed the wheel fast, but the normal shipping was fine. I ordered another correct wheel returnd the one that was boxed wrong and they creidited my creidit card back after they got the return. Summit is alright in my book.

12. 7d4gto

7d4gto

i live close enough to the retail store that i go and pickup parts often . i bought a hurst 4 speed shifter once that the sales person said would work for my app. test mounted it ,diddnt work brought it back they started to give me a hard time on the return and quickly changed there tune as the looked up my info in there system ive spent tooo much money there! also side note in their retail stores they have a section for all the returned parts i always check the "garage sale section "first when i walk in!! for the deals!!

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

Been using them for years and never had any issues with them.I just received some parts from them yesterday in fact.A bit of advice...do some research and know exactly what wheel pattern, width, and backspacing you have before ever ordering wheels.

14. Never had a problem with them either. I've ordered the wrong parts because I screwed up and they still exchanged them for the correct part.

Sorry you are having a bad day.

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I had a tire shop order up some 20" wheels and tires from us from Mickey Thompson. We dropshipped them to the customer and he calls me back saying that Mickey sent the wrong parts, the bolt pattern was too small on the wheels. I asked him to measure them and he said they were 5 on 4.5 not the 5 on 4.75 he needed.

I had him double check the part number on the box and it was correct to what we ordered. A call to Mickey Thompson and they questioned if there was a problem or not but offered to send a call tag and reship the wheels. My rep even went so far as to pull the wheels out of the boxes and make sure they were correct.

A few days later the customer calls again and what do you know... these are wrong too.

Turns out the vehicle they were going on had aftermarket parts and the rear end used a 5 on 5 bolt pattern and not the 5 on 4.75 he thought he had...

Oh, and did I mention he mounted the tires to the wheels? Now he's stuck with a PAIR of $2500 wheels and tires. Mickey refuses to take them back and I dont blame them.

16. VonHertell

VonHertell

While I don't think it is Summits fault at all.

I will say......Buy fuckin LOCAL!!!

It will help us all out in the long run.

Sorry for the thread jack :)

17. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RODZ...SEE why i said are you sure it's THEIR falt. most folk's know it's your responsibility to make damned sure the rim's fit, before mounting the tire's...POP.

18. ugotpk

ugotpk

I will write a letter to them as one of the HAMB guys. They will have records showing how much I have purchased from them. I will let them know how big of a customer base they are missin with. I would hope that my other HAMB brothers will do the same.. If you are in the right. We do need to stick together. From now on buy from RallyAmerica. Jimmy always takes care of us.

19. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I think a little persistance will pay off. Call again and tell them they weren't mounted. If you get nowhere with Summit call Wheel Vintiques, who knows what there policy is? Maybe they'll take them back direct?

Summit is kind of like Wal-Mart, sometimes you just can't afford NOT to shop there. I just bought a set of Cragars through them, my only nitpick was that Summit charged $15/wheel for "custom" backspacing although each wheel is technically custom because they're made-to-order. I confirmed this with the Cragar factory.

Hope it works out, but one iffy deal doesn't justify a boycott in my opinion.

20. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

We used to buy from Keystone after Arrowspeed dissapeared, but got fed up with their unbelievable arrogance so much, we switched to an Atech account with Summit.
    Never had any problem with them...
    Even had a set of mounted Corvette C3 coilovers returned, their website stated it would fit, but it didn't. No problems at all.

21. ugotpk

ugotpk

Hi Rodz,

I talked to Oscar at summit. You need to call 800-517-1035 Tell them you are a HAMB member. Be nice!! Let him know that UGOTPK had a chat with them about taking care of the problem. They may want my name. Paul Kelly Good luck.

22. Not wanting to beat this already thrashed thread but, the first thing that came to mind when you said MOUNTED the tire was what no check fit? don't know how you missed the big orange/red sticker check first before mounting. i had ordered wheels from them and they were out of stock and got a call from summit wanting to know if i would like some other wheels, told them naw i will wait, well he says no time frame i say no hurry car not done yet. 4 days later wheel vintiques drop shipped them to me. thought nothing more of it then a couple weeks goes by and summit calls up wanting to know if i wanted my money back cause they discontinued the wheels, told him when they came and he was shocked. so no problems with them at all!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  23. Summit will sell you a set of wheel adapters for the wheels that don't fit I'll bet!

Sorry for your bad luck, it was their issue until you didn't do ask they asked of you.

Now you have nice flea market stock.

24. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

They should at the very least take the 3 back that werent mounted ,PW,would have taken them back.I dont like so called there handling fees.

25. If OP scuffed the rim up when mounting the tire he's keeping that one... If the rim is mint I'd return it.

I am a dealer for Weld Racing and Billet Specialties and I triple-check the application whenever I order rims since 90% of the stuff I order from Billet is custom order.

26. pitman

pitman

They have always gone the distance for me, never a problem even with tough to select components.

27. 6inarow

6inarow

I get a kick out of the entire wheel industry. They have us all convinced its our problem if they screw up and send the wrong wheels. Lets get it straight: you order wheel X, pay for wheel X the invoice says wheel X. They send wheel Y with a note that says: "check this wheel because we are so incompetent sometimes we dont send the wheel you bought and paid for. If you mount it, its your fault" And as consumers we are Ok with it.

Just sayin.....

28. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

you nailed it

29. choptop kid

choptop kid

I agree . ive been kinda in and out with summit . ordered a small block rebuild kit for a 73 vette block and they were super good with delivery and all , ordered a carb however and they fought me , recipt says holly double pumper and i got some wierd edelbrock . handled with a service rep and got it figured out though

30. HRod 50

HRod 50

I Love Summit, I've spent some serious dough with them in the last few months. I had to return some items, and never had a problem. I recommed them highly, and thier tech/salesman were awesome. The strictly tech guys, who are burned ex business owners who didnt make it. They were a bunch of a holes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.