Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do your local police bother you to no end?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

When I was in my 20's.........well, let's just say, the local cops and I had an agreement. I speed in my Corvette......then you catch me and take my licence away.

over....

and over......

and over......:eek:

2. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

Don't abuse their courtesy warnings, as they'll only have so much patience, and it's embarrassing for your wife that her professionalism is being scrutinized at work. Is the cost of slapping a tag on there worth her job?

Just pretend you've only got 1 or 2 get out of ticket cards left, and save them up for when you really need them.

3. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

rarely ever have a police prop....white beard, respectful tone, and a friendly wave usually works well

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have driven my '48 everyday for about 17 years now, and I have noticed a big change in how I'm dealt with by the police.When I first started driving it, it had a much mellower '50's hot rod kinda look( gray primer, wide whites, etc.). I got pulled over just about any time I took it out of the driveway! These days, it sits a bit lower, sounds allot more aggressive, has shiny polished wheels and the primer is flaked with surface rust. (I'll be getting around to redoing soon) Guess what - I haven't been pulled over in years! And I don't drive it gently either... I don't know if I've started to look my age (45) and am no longer a risk, or if it's the rice rockets, gangs, illegals, drop houses, etc going on in the Phoenix area. Probably just more for them to do these days than mess with hot rodders...

5. Firepig

Firepig

I've been a cop for 37 years and a car guy for alot more. You're going to find dick-weeds in every occupation. What I would do is get a digital recorder (they're small and cheap), and everytime I got pulled over, turn it on. If the guy makes a wise crack, unduly hassles you, etc, make a complaint to the department. If the dept ignores you and you have legitimate complaints, hire a lawyer to make a call. Won't cost that much and will let them know you're not putting up with Barney's BS.

6. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Yeah, the cops are revenue collectors around here. I don't know how we elect people that do this to us... ridiculous.

I'm 18, and I've been pulled over twice. The first time I got pulled over, I deserved the ticket. I was doing 53 in a 20 in a '90 Civic. (You know I'm screwed!) Well, it turns out it was a state cop. Now, let me clarify some things, I'm not an idiot (well, that's up for debate) I was driving by the lake, which is a pretty straight road, and it was after midnight (I had just gotten off of work and went by the lake because the roads were softer, [the Honda had some wickedly stiff coilovers]). Well I was clipping along and I saw headlights behind me, something didn't feel right- but instead of slowing down like an intelligent person, I downshift and take off running like a James Bond chase scene, good thing that Honda was so underpowered.

Anyway, I get pulled over, guy comes up to the window.
    "Why you going so fast? And why'd you speed up when I came up on you like you're trying to race me?"
    "I just got off work, sir. I'm heading home." (My speedo didn't work, I should have told him.)
    "Ok, license and registration." I fumble around (this being my first time) and fork over the goods. He goes and does his thing, comes back and explains the ticket and says,
    "Slow down for me, alright?"
    "Yes, sir." I'm on my way. In hindsight I really did look like one of those loser ricer-kids. I had to go to county to get that ticket payed, it was something like $270, and I had to pay with exact change.'

I really learned my lesson, though. Now I obey the law. That said, our city cops are revenue collectors, we have guys on motorcycles who act like hard asses- they're mainly obese middle-aged guys. They're constantly pulling folks over, and our cop cars are the new Charger's, and we recently added a few stealthy black ones with "POLICE" ghosted on the side. How in the heck do we elect people to approve this pillage?!

My other ticket was just lame, got pulled over in my mom's GMC Safari van for the registration being one month out. $20 ticket.

7. nail-head

nail-head

They did when I was in high school, but I went out of my way to attract attention.

Passed a guy on a two lane blacktop one night and nearly hit an oncoming car in the other lane, just my luck, it was the Chief of Police. I got lucky on that one, when he pulled me over and recognized me all he said was, "I'm not going to arrest you, but you make sure your daddy calls me tomorrow." Small towns.

These days they only eyeball me when I've had too many shots at the local bar...and then only long enough to make sure my wife gets in the driver's seat of the Riv.

8. whitey3518

whitey3518

spoken like a true internal affairs rat

9. 21tat

21tat

No prob with the cops in Vegas. If you don't act like an asshole, they leave you alone.

10. budhaboy

budhaboy

back in my youth I was harrassed constantly, but 90% of it was deserved -it all stopped when I started working on our local chapter of the Blue Knights(Police Motorcycle Club) motorcycles-my best friends Pop was the chapter founder.
    Nowadays, I just dont drive like an ass, and act polite whenever I interact with an Officer - it said Officer feels like being an ass, a quick name drop of one of the higher ranking Officers I'm friendly with usually cuts it short.

11. perk30

perk30

Never had any problem around here. Currently driving my coupe wiith no sticker and a regular plate and have passed many cops. Have gone through all necessary steps to get my streetrod plate and legally get a sticker. Still waiting but that's another story. Had a guy in a muscle car do a burn out and run down a straight piece of side road by a cruise I was at. Unfortunately he failed to see the cop pulling around the corner of the lot. Cop turned on the lights, chased him down and stopped him at the end of the road but never got out of his car and they both left in separate directions.

12. dagenesta

dagenesta

Never had a problem with the local fuzz except for the time I went past him doing 67 in a 45. Then I got a ticket, well deserved. He did his job properly by righting me up. Never once has he harrassed me the way some of you guys are talking about your local ocifers.

I stopped and talked to the chief a time or two... nice guy, very professional. I'm glad to have him protecting me. Last week a huge state cop came to my house and asked about the land that is for sale next to me. I did everything I could to encourage him to build a house next to me; I'd love to have a statie for a neighbor. Then the neighborhoodlums would hopefully be intimidated enough to stay away.

Never had a problem with the cops-- its the hoodlums that hate cops that give me trouble.

13. As a kid I got hassled a lot - I got pulled over something like 25 or 30 times before I was 18 - but out late at night when I wasn't legal to drive and up to no good or nothing important, so it's not like it was undeserved.

It tapered off some as I got older, but I did run into a couple of cops that were dicks - a small town cop that wrote me for a bunch higher than I'd been going, and the classic reverse racism deal where a black lady cut me off in a parking lot, I hit her, and the cop who shows up is also black, so the white kid with the ponytail gets the blame.

But even that was 10 years ago; the last ticket I got the cop wrote it in a way I could get out of it, and for the most part I mind my P's and Q's - plus I run a lot of back roads when possible, where cops tend to be fewer and farther between.

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

I don't know if there are any good shrinks in Kansas but you definitey need to find one quick. Sounds like you are living in a 50s B movie or wishin' you were.

15. No. They don't bother me. But, if you come to Lakewood and act like a dumbass, they ARE going to bother you. It's what we pay them to do and they're real good at it. Lots of cops are gearheads and they know what they're looking at. If you get an equipment violation ticket in my town, you probably deserve it.

So, get this right, people: Metermaids are revenue generators. A sworn officer, who carries a sidearm in your behalf is not. They do a job that deserves respect. They're hired to deal with the bad guys. You shouldn't make them waste their time telling you to fix your rat rod and stop doing one wheeled burn outs in town.

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

HAHAHAHA! Best line I've read all day.

Seriously, if you don't have an attitude and treat people with courtesy and respect, then you usually get it in return.

I'd also like to mention that the image that you project with your car, and even your choice of clothes or hairstyle will give people a preconceived notion of how you are as an individual. I hate to say it, but sometimes the people that I meet in the old car circle don't look like people that are deserving of respect. Prejudice isn't just a race thing.

17. PoPo

PoPo

they dont mess with me. oh wait unless your talking about the battle inside my head to get out in the garage and get started on the A.

As a cop, I don't mess with any specific car or type of cars. I mess with people that get my attention by acting like "jack asses" or putting other people in danger.

I also educate other cops about old cars and similar.

I do write tickets for brake lights, license plate lights, expired registration and much much more, but my reasoning is..... I pull you over for these minor infractions and then I can figure out if you are into something more serious such as possession of drugs or an intoxicated driver. Some don't think driving drunk is a bad crime but more people die from drunk driving incidents then any other crime in the US.

drive safe and you don't have to worry about the flashing lights behind you.

18. AROCK

AROCK

Kinda funny I just got a ticket this morning in my daily driver, should have drove the sled today, they probably would have left me alone. My 54' has wide open pipes, sits 2" off the ground the cops all wave and smile and I wave and smile back. In fact I had a cop pull up when I was having some generator issues one day on the side of the road. (Obviously to check if everything was OK) I had the hood open and he comes up and starts looking around, looking real close at the exhaust, I'm sitting here thinking "great, here come the tickets" He looked around, smiled, looked at me and said "man you need to get a bigger engine in this thing, how are you supposed to do burnouts with that lump?" Cops are people. Some people are A-holes and feel like they have to be a big shot with something to prove, some people are cool.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"I don't know if there are any good shrinks in Kansas but you definitey need to find one quick. Sounds like you are living in a 50s B movie or wishin' you were."

Loved that one!
    I know I am...at least every time I go to the Dry Lakes! (Or Bonneville) '50s 'B' Movie. Yep.

20. chevy3755

chevy3755

as long as i dont act like an idiot......i dont have a problem.......try not to bring attention to myself.........

21. I use to be pulled over once a week when I lived in Fort Fun.
    EVERY stinking time it was for no good reason at all.

It was my father-in-law every single time :p LOL

22. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

I don't know if the Department is that way now days, but when I was on the job, we, who worked in the metro area (down town L.A.) considered the valley as a whole different police department even if it was still the city of Los Angeles and the same department.:cool:

23. Firepig

Firepig

The name-dropping was an automatic ticket from me :)

24. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

I've been a cop for 15 years and have had old cars a lot longer. It sounds to me like you kind of enjoy the fight. If you're going to be a dick, expect to get stopped a lot. Generally we have better things to do than hassle people who have pride in what they drive (Hotrod/Ricer or Harley/Bullet bike). Being a safe and considerate driver will most likely end up in you being ignored by the po-po.

25. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

No I don't seem to have problems from local police officers. We have a couple of drag race fans on the force. But the burg near us stops some guy's with antique plates and hastles them.

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, he saw the car, followed me and stopped at my house, and we have been friends ever since. This was 6 years ago. :D

27. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

You guys sure make me glad I pay my taxes!

Mine has the turbo 4. Designed in 78 in america, built here, put in a chassis built here... No rice. It was a fun car, I use to LOVE smoking mustangs in it!

28. Deuces

Deuces

You better do a search on who supplied those little hair dried 2.2's...... They most certainly weren't build here!

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I have never been hassled in an old car, but that'd be kind of hard since I was driving a '63 Buick Electra 225 that couldn't get out of it's own way. (It didn't have low gear!)

30. FWD + 4cyl + Turbo = rice to me. Doesn't matter country of origin. If we call it a Burger-rocket will that make it better?

BTW shadows are awesome. Ex girlfriends dad had one all tricked out, drove it a few times, Fucker was on rails and the turbo was fun.